Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

Wow, I was just at my visa agent in Phnom Penh, asking about options for my next SETV. Well, in his own words he said there's only one person in Cambodia knowing and that's the ambassador. We actually came to the conclusion to change the country. I got two SETV from Phnom Penh so far, was inquiring about a third.

Well, we'll see what's happening.

38 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Kind of resembles what happened in 1997, when they changed visa rules to boost visitor numbers.

Really? In 97 the Thai economy crashed, the baht devalued giving 50 to the $ and 70 to the £, and tourists came flooding in. The govt had no need to change anything to get more tourists.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

I guess sucking up to the Chinese and there self contained tours are not panning out like once thought..?

Last word I got was that many Chinese businesses and workers are hunkering down until the trade war with the USA is settled.. Can not really blame them IMO.

13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Why they don't issue 90 day stamps on arrival I don't know.

Because one month is promo, free.

Two months costs 1,000 or equivalent (generally 1,300)

Three months costs the above +1,900

And should you wish to enter and re-enter, it's all the above +1,000 per entry.

Which is the boat I am in.

Why make zero when you can make 4k+.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

Fairly obvious such drastic measures would only be introduced if tourism was in serious trouble, so would love to hear from all members who were so certain place was booming and tourist numbers were off the moon.

Many of us said place was a ghost town for past 5 months with no indications of fast recovery, TAT was publishing number increases, turns out all was just a bluff and in fact place is a ghost town.

These are pretty big changes to tourist visa and visa exempt. I mean really huge, like full u-turn.

I wonder what will happen with regulations for expats and non o visa's

Big Joke was so set on making thing hard that now not only they backing off but reversing it back to good old times.

Damn! Big Joke will have to go into public relations instead. Oh, wait a mo, he IS in public relations already . . . 

• Like 1

what do they think that the numbers of tourists will increase ,and we here cannot even agree when it will start, the government  are just living in a dream world if they think this will work at such short notice for people  to come to Thailand.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BestB said:

Fairly obvious such drastic measures would only be introduced if tourism was in serious trouble, so would love to hear from all members who were so certain place was booming and tourist numbers were off the moon.

Many of us said place was a ghost town for past 5 months with no indications of fast recovery, TAT was publishing number increases, turns out all was just a bluff and in fact place is a ghost town.

Is there a line forming ... :biggrin: 

I imagine those people blowing sunshine, were just doing there job  :thumbsup:   It's not like they actually live here right. I for one hope, the Chinese return because if they do not, some serious excrement is going to hit the fan up here in CM

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this; it is a refutation of everything the Junta has been doing or saying for years.

There is a great deal more to this story; I am looking forward to finding it out.

It may also be pressure from the Asean community quite sensibly, unlike  narrow minded, irrational and short sighted Thailand, wishing to promote tourism by allowing more freedom of movement for tourists between their countries. Not long ago there was a thread on here claiming there was going to be a joint tourist visa available for Thailand and Cambodia.

30 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Really? In 97 the Thai economy crashed, the baht devalued giving 50 to the $ and 70 to the £, and tourists came flooding in. The govt had no need to change anything to get more tourists.

No, Tourist Visas were free, along with unlimited free 30 day extensions.

• Like 1

Nev is excactly right ,the nr's don't match anymore .and much more "longstay tourists" are going to neighbouring country's ,like vietnam and cambodia, so their loosing out and starting to feel it ,so this is a try to get them back before it's to late . The two months period is to see how much their missing out on, and a good suck up for the ellections to come .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not get it. Those visa runners spending THB 30K/monthly were numbered earlier on with 900'000. This would amount to THB 324 billion yearly proving that almost one billion Baht daily would come from this tourism segment. 

The Chinese arguably are the worst tourists Thailand ever had so maybe, maybe, some clowns at the TAT-circus now realized that they've been shooting themselves into their own foot! 

• Like 1

The OP indicates that "foreigners from Singapore, Japan, France and the United States" will qualify for these Visas.

Anyone care to guess if that will also include UK?

Logic says it should but....TIT! ????

Edited by VBF

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

That 2 months trual period should just about cover the " high season period " 

After that its peobably the Status Quo

The government has agreed in principle!! They await the TAT study for the suggested period and details. At the present time  there is no change and no announcement of when / if it will change and any details. It is just like yesterday.