Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

Thank you so much for tarring all we Brits with the same brush as that low-life vandal who spray-painted the wall in CM!
As a Brit, I'm rather ashamed of him as it happens.
And from where do you hail, I wonder? I presume that none of your fellow-countrymen would ever commit any anti-social acts?

American guilty as charged. ANYBODY with a history of social offenses (from UK AUS, AUS, etc.) should be barred from the Kingdom, permanently. Thai Immigration is not up to speed with communicating foreign countries that is why overrun with crims. Do you know Americans with as little as a drink driving charge are barred from Canada??

This would keep out 99 percent of the dross and many serious crimes would be avoided.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

American guilty as charged. ANYBODY with a history of social offenses (from UK AUS, AUS, etc.) should be barred from the Kingdom, permanently. Thai Immigration is not up to speed with communicating foreign countries that is why overrun with crims. Do you know Americans with as little as a drink driving charge are barred from Canada??

This would keep out 99 percent of the dross and many serious crimes would be avoided.

Well on THAT point I agree with you - people whom you describe just shouldn't be allowed to travel - it's not like you can accidentally spray graffiti, smash up bars / hotels, start fights etc.

Many Brits visited the Spanish Costas and the Greek Islands (me included) in the 1970s/80s and while some just went and enjoyed a fun holiday, regrettably the thug element gave us all a very bad reputation.  I'm not talking about a little "drunken silliness" in which I partook as much as the next (young) man but serious vandalism. It's almost as if in their tiny minds, the laws don't apply to them when they go on holiday.

That's partly why, even to this day, when I go into a bar or wherever and hear English being spoken by strangers, i'm in hurry to engage in conversation until I've sussed out who i'm dealing with. One has one's pride you know! ???? But this is going :offtopic2:....back to the plot!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, robsamui said:

ONE category of the tourist visas was free. And you re right about unlimited Visas on Arrival. But it had been like that for years. It was the sudden cheap baht that brought the record influx of tourists, not the visas!

Never mentioned Visa on Arrival.

From my experience from the winter of 1997-1998, my Double Entry TV was free, along with free unlimited 30 day extensions, which meant it was the only year I did not have to do a border run.

"I thought that perhaps they might be going the e-visa route but that's not part of the equation yet. It must be time to modernise the whole system"

I was sure that with Thailand 4.0 this would happen !! GF and I come from Philippines twice a year fir the kast 6 years on TV. Embassy in Manila takes 2 business days to issue one, so 2 nights accom, travel 100km each way. On-line would be great, but they can't even get OL reporting to work reliably n 

Thailand so not much hope. 

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

Maybe for the first time in history the Thai Government will issue an actual factual statement.

ie This scheme will start on this date

It will run between these dates

If successful it will be extended for the following dates

It covers the following visas

it would make a change because it seems that every time they announce anything it prompts pages and pages of debate on what they actually mean.It also left to individual officials to interpret the rules as they see fit.

There is no black or white in Thailand everything is grey

This is deliberate to allow room for all the corruption...

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this; it is a refutation of everything the Junta has been doing or saying for years.

There is a great deal more to this story; I am looking forward to finding it out.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

None, these changes are made to promote tourism

Now its time to help those of us who have been legally here for a few years, married to Thai person. EASE OUR VISAS , relax the 90 day reporting, remove the requirement for a re-entry visa, etc..

Edited by Dorian232
Correct spelling
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dorian232 said:

Now its time to help those of us who have been legally here for a few years, married to Thai person. EASE OUR VISAS , relax the 90 day reporting, remove the requirement for a re-entry visa, etc..

You could apply for permanent residency

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I understand that proposal is already under-consideration.

Expect an announcement on 1 April 2019.

Yep, that date in every year, it is a certain April 1st announcement..................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

After reading the article and my mind's max of posts for now, I'm still confused.  "Immigration checkpoints" include BKK?  I'm not sure, while I'm between visas, if I can leave and return by air as often as I want -- until the election, for which I haven't been holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

Typical knee jerk reaction. Clearly if this is for the next two months only as a trial, they have not considered that the vast majority intending to travel during this period will have already made their arrangements.

It is not for the next two months - there is no start date and the details have not been finalised yet - the government is awaiting the details from TAT. Read the  OP again.

1 minute ago, dukeandduke said:

After reading the article and my mind's max of posts for now, I'm still confused.  "Immigration checkpoints" include BKK? 

That is all entry points at airports, seaports and land border crossings.

The 30 day visa exempt entries by air have have been unlimited since 2008. At land border crossings they have been limited to 2 per calendar year since January of 2017.

• Like 1

Just now, The traveler said:

No, it’s to make it easier for everyone to be here longer/or those who frequently are in and out, good news, why so pessimistic??? 

What visa do you got ? Marriage visa, retirement visa ? if so easy for you, but not those that are under age of 50/ not married..

1 hour ago, pontious said:

A tourist visa - same as before - there is no change yet.

It was stated that people who apply for a SETV can now apply for a DETV for the same price and I just ticked the SETV , unaware that the rules will change tomorrow

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was stated that people who apply for a SETV can now apply for a DETV for the same price and I just ticked the SETV , unaware that the rules will change tomorrow

Nothing changes tomorrow - do not read the OP Headline. Read the whole statement. Nothing has been agreed yet.