Forum very slow and pages not loading

balo

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

But how do the major websites such as the BBC, Facebook, Google, Gmail, Yahoo, Bangkok Post  and so many other major websites manage to deal with it? 

They probably have a database schema that was designed better or use NoSQL and not PID's (Pointer IDs?) bouncing around. Sounds like an excuse for a bad design/implementation.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed. 

There is an ongoing problem with the :02 and :32 minute time slots, time outs occur at those times.  Despite repeated queries to the forum programmers, there has not been a resolution to these time outs. 

It's just random , 3 seconds to load a page, 10 seconds o load a page or 30 seconds.  The worst part of this is that I'm getting used to it so just another "normal" day.  

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems to me there is a lot of clutter on TVF !
Time to have a clear out, get rid of the out of date stuff .
Keep the popular and important stuff, visa, Thai politics, travel stuff and price of cheese etc etc

Bin the rest !

Brexit.....................don't forget brexit, oh on second thoughts.

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

There is an ongoing problem with the :02 and :32 minute time slots, time outs occur at those times.  Despite repeated queries to the forum programmers, there has not been a resolution to these time outs. 

can not CLEAR NOTIFICATIONS.... old ones still there, when clicking clear it send error 520

4 hours ago, metisdead said:

If that were true we would not be having this discussion - it has been almost all the time for last few days.  Tonight it has been mostly at those times but not always as below shows. The time was 12:35:42 about 5 minutes ago.

Error 520Ray ID: 484ecb3dffc13120 • 2018-12-06 12:35:42 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

If that were true we would not be having this discussion - it has been almost all the time for last few days.  Tonight it has been mostly at those times but not always as below shows. The time was 12:35:42 about 5 minutes ago.

Error 520Ray ID: 484ecb3dffc13120 • 2018-12-06 12:35:42 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

I know, the time outs last more than a minute a three, however, the timeouts consistently start at the :02 or :32 minute mark as I and other mods and Admin have noticed over the past several days. It has been noticed after that Error 520 comes up, a refresh will usually bring you back to where you were. 

22 hours ago, metisdead said:

The Tech Doctor has been banging his head on the wall while trying to get answers from Invision about some of the forum problems, time outs, and the following is my translation:

I didn't know what PID's mean, not sure if this is applicable:  PID controller

Some members may have noticed a number of topics that span hundreds and thousands of pages have been closed in our effort to clean up this problem.  One of the problems might be the huge amount of email notifications that those topics generate causing some of the forum problems, it is still an ongoing process. 

Looks like Brexit is the culprit...

Hmmmhhh.. maybe the British and US embassies too?

An interesting conspiracy theory could be that every 30 minutes we have a lag because the government are saving all our posts into their database .  ????

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Still have issues if ask for something at exactly xx:02 or xx:32 times (and a bit beyond) but most of the hour working much better now.  Just have to wait a minute or two now.

But, notifications are still not clearing.

Also, the quick navigation 'Jump To' link has been missing now for quite some time.

Nowhere near back to normal yet.

I like your just wait a min or 2. Thats normally how long it takes to return to <deleted>. Ive given up on the phone ever working right with these excuse professionals. Be nice if they just said its nazckered and needs renewing. Teak Doors free and dont crash every day.

Hello everyone,

This might be a question that has already been asked but why are there so many ads on the website (I assume it's for generating income?) and why aren't we using a proper forum software such as phpbb or vBulletin (vBulletin is a paid software/license though)

27 minutes ago, sambosoul said:

Hello everyone,

This might be a question that has already been asked but why are there so many ads on the website (I assume it's for generating income?) and why aren't we using a proper forum software such as phpbb or vBulletin (vBulletin is a paid software/license though)

TV is using proper forum software and its very nice when working properly.

https://invisioncommunity.com/

15 hours ago, metisdead said:

I know, the time outs last more than a minute a three, however, the timeouts consistently start at the :02 or :32 minute mark as I and other mods and Admin have noticed over the past several days. It has been noticed after that Error 520 comes up, a refresh will usually bring you back to where you were. 

what about the problem with CLEAR notifications, it has been happening for the past week or so and clicking on the clear notifications tab gives the following error.... just did 2 minutes ago and all the OLD notifications still there

Sorry, there is a problem

Page Not Found.

Error code: 2S106/1

•  

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

what about the problem with CLEAR notifications, it has been happening for the past week or so and clicking on the clear notifications tab gives the following error.... just did 2 minutes ago and all the OLD notifications still there

Sorry, there is a problem

Page Not Found.

Error code: 2S106/1

•  

I don't know how to correct this.  Maybe it is one plugins that has been disabled by the Tech Doctor in trying to fix one of many problems.  The forum programmer, Invision has not been providing very many answers to Tech Doctor's numerous queries to them.  I know this is frustrating, please bear with us while the Tech Doctor waits for answers from Invision ( or is it Inversion?) 

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

I don't know how to correct this.  Maybe it is one plugins that has been disabled by the Tech Doctor in trying to fix one of many problems.  The forum programmer, Invision has not been providing very many answers to Tech Doctor's numerous queries to them.  I know this is frustrating, please bear with us while the Tech Doctor waits for answers from Invision ( or is it Inversion?) 

Notification clearance now working.

Quick navigation still missing.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, DrTuner said:

They probably have a database schema that was designed better or use NoSQL and not PID's (Pointer IDs?) bouncing around.

PID = PostID. Each post has a PID. So what Invision is saying is that very long topics with many pages and many posts may cause problems. Though I would be surprised if they caused problems other than when the particular topic or page is actually being displayed.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

PID = PostID. Each post has a PID. So what Invision is saying is that very long topics with many pages and many posts may cause problems. Though I would be surprised if they caused problems other than when the particular topic or page is actually being displayed.

Ah right. This started some time ago and is getting worse, I'd look into something that was added after the CSS change, likely a DB join query/index growing out of control/etc. No quick solution except to delete things, reduce functionality and so on. Or revert to the TVF that still worked.

This forum is getting beyond a joke.

In the last 6 days i have made 1 post.

Suddenly without me even touching my computer every post made on this thread i am getting a notification????

What the hell is going on????????

I have not changed anything, so what is happening???

Archived