Phuket Immigration to launch ‘Drive Thru’ service

snoop1130

Phuket Immigration to launch ‘Drive Thru’ service

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1542187171_1-org.jpg

The Drive Thru at Phuket Immigration is to open before the year’s end. photo: Tavee Adam

PHUKET:-- Phuket Immigration is adding a ‘Drive Thru’ lane at its main office in Phuket Town in the hopes of making it quicker and easier for foreigners to complete simple procedures, including completing the mandatory 90-day reporting required of all foreigners staying on long-term visas.

Phuket Immigration Chief Lt Col Kathatorn Kumthien revealed to The Phuket News today (Nov 14) that he hopes for the Drive Thru lane to be open before the New Year.

“My inspiration for the Drive Thru project is that lots of tourist come to the Phuket Immigration Office in the high season for simple procedures, such as visa extensions,” he said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-to-launch-drive-thru-service-69346.php#XGt7pGQJT1oARfGQ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-14

I see Kurt the duty loon on Phuket News has given his 'opinion' yet again. The guy spouts non-stop drivel. I am convinced he is the sub-normal brother of the editor with some of the crap he comes out with.

I welcome any attempts to ease the process and with 90 days taking around a minute to process once you get to the guy this could work. Naysayers will hate it if it does!

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

Well, it's different. I wonder if they'll route the light rail system through the office as well?

It for sure is very different thinking. I picked up my passport at 13.30 last Friday. I wondered why that glass box was obstructing the walkway. There were none of those road marking on that day. I really hope it speeds everything up ... hope ... hope

seems like a good idea

additionally how about providing a method to update the online reporting system for people that have renewed their passport while in country, currently the only way to do this is to leave the country

I think it's idiotic. Drive thru for what simple procedures exactly?

As far as 90 day reports are concerned, instead of a drive thru, how about create an app so people can do that from their living room and not have to drive?

Before the app though, compatibility with some other PC browsers rather than Internet Explorer would be a positive step.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

seems like a good idea

additionally how about providing a method to update the online reporting system for people that have renewed their passport while in country, currently the only way to do this is to leave the country

What do you mean?

When you get a new passport while in Thailand, you just go to Immigration and transfer your old extension & re-entry permit to the new one.

2 hours ago, lkv said:

As far as 90 day reports are concerned, instead of a drive thru, how about create an app so people can do that from their living room and not have to drive?

Before the app though, compatibility with some other PC browsers rather than Internet Explorer would be a positive step.

Why idiotic? For those who are going to Immigration anyway, better to wait in your vehicle without having to find a parking spot and get inside.

For those who want to do it online, nothing changes. Personally I would not want an app, for the same reasons (mostly privacy) that I try to avoid all apps unless strictly required. You have 15 days to do it, chances are that you will have access to a computer and that's enough.

As for browser, my wife did hers last August without using IE.

28 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

What do you mean?

When you get a new passport while in Thailand, you just go to Immigration and transfer your old extension & re-entry permit to the new one.

online reporting which I used with my old passport no longer works with the new one unless I leave Thailand

6 hours ago, lkv said:

Believe, the online reporting has been improved, now only takes a few minutes & receipt issues same day!!

Friend did this week using Apple IOS !! Drive thru is used @ Land Transport Sukhumvit for vehicle registration; works  v well!! 

And here on Koh Samui those of us who live on neighbouring islands have to spend a whole day travelling just to wave and confirm that after 90 days we are still here and living at the same address as they do not provide an online reporting service. I urge BIG JOKE to make this farce one of his top priorities All immigration offices should now offer the 90 day online reporting .

A great idea in principal, but with a major flaw.

It would be staffed by Thai government workers, exacerbated by being Immigration officers, who would find the task of quickly processing paperwork about as alien as forever forsaking "tips".

The 20 metres of driveway to the main entry gate would be constantly clogged with customers, effectively preventing others from entering and creating chaos in the street outside.

My lady was made to wait over 2 hours to get my 90 dayer processed a couple of weeks ago and the staff started talking about needing to see medical certificates to explain my absence (they fail to see the irony in the fact that most are done through agents, by mail or on-line). 

This would work well in a drive through!

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What do you mean?

Last year I got new passport (Expired):
My Embassey in BKK made the new passport (1 week, 6000 Baht)
Immigration transfered the old stamps (15 min, 30 Baht)

26 minutes ago, eggers said:

Believe, the online reporting has been improved, now only takes a few minutes & receipt issues same day!!

Friend did this week using Apple IOS !! Drive thru is used @ Land Transport Sukhumvit for vehicle registration; works  v well!! 

The on-line processing now is quick and easy for those who are lucky enough for it to work. I process one for a mate in minutes, without difficulty, but mine has never gone through. 

I can't understand why they can do it in the office with a few keystrokes, but can't fix it for home processing! 

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What do you mean?

I never even had to do that. Even my thai wife who has 10 years visas for uk and usa uses an out if date oassport containing her visa and a current oassport. No problem

47 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

Last year I got new passport (Expired):
My Embassey in BKK made the new passport (1 week, 6000 Baht)
Immigration transfered the old stamps (15 min, 30 Baht)

and you can do online 90 day reporting ?

this thread is about 90 day reporting :post-4641-1156694572:

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What do you mean?

But the problem with the whole system is inefficient training half the officers while good at a meeting the angry public do not have suitable training that is consistent across immigration, they have to fumble for the correct answer It is not the officer in the office, IT is poorly administered training investment

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Why idiotic? For those who are going to Immigration anyway, better to wait in your vehicle without having to find a parking spot and get inside.

For those who want to do it online, nothing changes. Personally I would not want an app, for the same reasons (mostly privacy) that I try to avoid all apps unless strictly required. You have 15 days to do it, chances are that you will have access to a computer and that's enough.

As for browser, my wife did hers last August without using IE.

Because I don't see the point of it.

I can understand that some people that don't fancy computers might, but the trend worldwide is to go digital for simple procedures.

The people mentioned can ask a friend for help. Alternatively, they can walk into an office, as they always did.

Generally, you don't create drive thrus to please people that don't like technological advances or fear privacy in apps. 50% of China is paying at any shop now, including mom and pop shops and local markets, via QR code, and this is a trend worldwide.

So like....other countries in Asia allow foreign tourists to pass through e-gates, when I exited one recently all I had to do is put my fingers on the scanner, not even scan my passport anymore, and the gate opened?

This 90 day report is as idiotic as the drivethru as a matter of fact. That's why they go along well. ????

To save money, move Thailand into the 21st century and facilitate life for everybody maybe an alternative would be to do away completely with this 90-days nonsense, rent out the existing facilities to McDonalds or another fast foodie - everybody happy! 

Archived