Denmark Embassy Has Stopped Doing Pension Letters

Stopping pension letter services for one-year visas with immediate effect

14.11.2018  10:02

EmbassyOfDenmark_500.jpg

The Danish Embassy in Bangkok can no longer issue income certificates/pension letters as a supporting document for obtaining a one-year visa through the Thai authorities.

This is due to the fact that the Embassy in Bangkok is legally unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to guarantee the future level of pension/income for Danish Nationals.

If this will affect you, we encourage you, to seek more information about alternative ways of applying for a visa on the Embassy of Thailand in Copenhagen’s web page: http://thaiembassy.dk/category/visa-application/

Affected residents can also seek information at the Thai Immigration Authorities about the current valid regulations. Here, you can find information about how to apply for a long-term visa: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=procedure

The following link give you information about needed documentation: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service#

Please note, that applicants who have applied for the income certificate/pension letter already will get a fee refunded if the letter has not yet been issued by the embassy.  

From embasssy website. http://thailand.um.dk/en/News/newsdisplaypage/?newsID=5FD2318C-7DE7-4241-9A60-990E671E1D3F

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My agent told me this week more where coming. Seems we are going to get a flow on effect to other Embassies. Just taking time. Seems pretty harsh the no notice and I wonder how many Danish people are in Thailand on these Visas? Looks like they will be first off the block now in finding out what they need to keep Immigration happy.

Edited by totally thaied up

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

This part of the notice confuses me. What are these one-year visas?

I know this sounds pedantic, but one would expect an Embassy to be using precise and correct terminology.

Are they still issuing letters for extensions of stay based upon marriage/retirement?

Good point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I know this sounds pedantic, but one would expect an Embassy to be using precise and correct terminology.

Are they still issuing letters for extensions of stay based upon marriage/retirement?

They are not issuing income letters. Embassies are not aware of the terminology - and nor is Thai Immigration..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I feel that you are right and I also feel that this is our respective countries giving the bird and a large <deleted> to Thai authorities with their ridiculous demands regarding income letters.

Surely an immigration officer can look at a pension letter or a bank book and make the decision themselves to grant an extension.

How do they understand what is written in Danish or any other language. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I fully expect they mean extension of stays because when you go to say the Bangkok  Immigration 1 website they refer to extensions of stay as "Visa Extension."

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

Visa Extension
disc_w.gif In the case of business necessity, for example, the applicant must stay to carry out work for a company or partnership:
disc_w.gif In the case of necessity where the applicant must carry out duties relating to investment approved by the relevant ministry, department, and bureau:
disc_w.gif In the case of necessity where the applicant must carry out duties for the government, state enterprise, or other government agency
disc_w.gif In the case of tourism purposes
disc_w.gif In the case of investment
disc_w.gif In the case of a teacher, professor, or expert in a government educational institution
disc_w.gif In the case of a teacher, professor, or expert in a private educational institution
disc_w.gif In the case of study in a government educational institution
disc_w.gif In the case of study in a private educational institution
disc_w.gif In the case of conducting training or research in a university or research institute
disc_w.gif In the case of being a family member of an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom for study in an educational institution according to Clauses 2.8 or 2.9 hereof
disc_w.gif In the case of performing duties in the mass media
disc_w.gif In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities
disc_w.gif In the case of a missionary
disc_w.gif In the case of a skilled laborer or a medical expert or a practitioner of other professions for the purpose of transferring knowledge to Thai people
disc_w.gif In the case of installation or repair of machines, aircraft, or ocean vessels
disc_w.gif In the case of an actor, vocalist, or musician working at a hotel or an entertainment company in Thailand with a paid-up registered capital of no less than Baht 20 million
disc_w.gif In the case of being a family member of a Thai national
disc_w.gif In the case of being a family member of a Thai resident
disc_w.gif In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom
disc_w.gif In the case of necessity where the alien must stay to perform duties in a public charitable organization, a foreign private company, a foundation, an association, a foreign chamber of commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce, or the Federation of Thai Industries
disc_w.gif In the case of retirement
disc_w.gif In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland
disc_w.gif In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality
disc_w.gif In the case of receiving medical treatment, attending rehabilitation, or taking care of a patient
disc_w.gif In the case of litigation or court proceedings
disc_w.gif In the case of performing duties or missions for a government agency, state enterprise, other government agency or embassy or consulate or international organization
disc_w.gif In the case of necessity, with certification or request made by an embassy or consulate
disc_w.gif In the case of proof of nationality
disc_w.gif In the case of an actor, vocalist, musician, or performance director, including persons responsible for entertaining performances or plays conducted from time to time
disc_w.gif In the case of a person in charge of conveyance and crew of conveyance who entered through a port, station, or locality in the Kingdom, and has not departed from the Kingdom
disc_w.gif In the case of Necessity to Perform Duties in a Juristic Person
disc_w.gif In the case for Foreigners Having Rights under the Investment Promotion Act B.E. 2520, the Petroleum Act B.E. 2514, and the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act B.E. 2522
folder.gif Extension of temporary stay under Section 15
folder.gif Alien Registration
folder.gif Permanent Residence Book
folder.gif Change visa
folder.gif Other services
right.gif
lowleft.gif low.gif lowright.gif

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is it correct to assume that the Danish embassy used the same way of checking/verifying like the brit and aussie and american embassy did?  Meaning there was no real check and verification, thus open to abuse?  Does anybody know? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carib said:

Is it correct to assume that the Danish embassy used the same way of checking/verifying like the brit and aussie and american embassy did?  Meaning there was no real check and verification, thus open to abuse?  Does anybody know? 

The Brits actually checked. Oz and USA didn't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Don't expect too much from them ????

According to their website you can apply for an extension of stay at border crossings:

Visitors may apply for an extension of stay or a re-entry permit at any immigration checkpoint.

http://thaiembassy.dk/extension-of-stay-and-re-entry-permit/

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

I fully expect they mean extension of stays because when you go to say the Bangkok Bank Immigration 1 website they refer to extensions of stay as "Visa Extension."

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

I think you are probably correct.

But, it's hard to understand why the Danish Embassy would leave their citizens in such a mess when others have at least given their people a bit of time to organise their next extension.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Its no big deal the Danish are taxed so severely they can not afford to travel or retire any ways...

True, but they do get very good pensions, the other "Nordic" nations will follow suit for sure ????

• Like 1