Denmark Embassy Has Stopped Doing Pension Letters

5 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Yes, I agree. But maybe the other shoe hasn't dropped yet and TI will no longer accept any embassy letters/affidavits to extend visas after 1 January.  Then we will all be in the same boat!

If they won't accept letters then they will stipulate what they will accept as proof of income. Their own regulations state proof of income of 40/65k per month is required for a visa extension, there is no mention of an embassy letter (in the regulations) so there would only be the need for all IO's to drop the demand for an embassy letter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If they won't accept letters then they will stipulate what they will accept as proof of income. Their own regulations state proof of income of 40/65k per month is required for a visa extension, there is no mention of an embassy letter (in the regulations) so there would only be the need for all IO's to drop the demand for an embassy letter.

.........and that money to be in a Thai bank for easy verification.

Just finished it off for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

.........and that money to be in a Thai bank for easy verification.

Just finished it off for you.

that isn't stipulated, they would have to change the regulations but that could happen of course. From December onwards I will be transferring 65k per month to BKK bank to prepare for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

I did not get non-immigrant O visa. I got one year non-immigrant O-A visa. Every time I enter Thailand, I get permitted to stay stamped for one year...…..……. I have to get an extension at the immigration inside Thailand or a new O-A from my home country (USA). 

You didn't need the 3 mth O visa because you got your visa in the US, not everyone does that. There's only a few Thai embassies in the US. I flew in visa-free for 30 days then got my 3 mth & 1-yr both at the same time in Thailand using the income affidavit from US embassy. It was much easier for me to do here... no police report & no medical were required.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Now it is well time that Thai Wife,Husband,Girlfriend,Boyfriend and Children to react. And go out on facebook+++ and write, and write to the Immigration of the BIG problems they get in the future with these requirements from Immigration in Thailand. This is going to be BIG BIG problems fore many many Thai/Farang family already from today.

I think most people have 400/800k to put them in a bank. Maybe some just didn't want until now because they don't trust Thai banks, but if they are forced to do it they will do it.

So there are probably only a few percent of people who stay in Thailand and don't have 400/800k to put on a Thai bank account, these few percent will probably change to agents or multiple non-o visas now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

They don't have to stipulate any alternative for proof of income ……….. that's an assumption.

There is no mention of an Embassy letter, income in a foreign bank, Thai bank or cash in hand.

Unless Immigration issue a new directive, then it leaves the funds (400 - 800K) deposited in a Thai bank as the only alternative

59 minutes ago, a977 said:

This is not true the Australian Embassy can enter a persons tax file number or their Centrelink number and bingo up comes that persons file including the brand of toilet tissue they use and probably the last time they went. It is just pure laziness on the part of the Embassy to not do this, I have sent yesterday a email to the Embassy to this effect, still awaiting a reply, maybe email fell into the too hard basket. 

What makes you think the Embassy would have access to the ATO or centerlink data. The embassy is a representation of the Australian government in Thailand, they are not a branch of the ATO or centerlink. I cant lodge my tax return or enquire about my pension at the Embassy. A bit of a strange assumption that the embassy has a computer in the corner with full access to all government and citizen data.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This is due to the fact that the Embassy in Bangkok is legally unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to guarantee the future level of pension/income for Danish Nationals.

Thais are looking for guarantees of future income, not current?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Turn around on it, there are few percent that has the 400/800 and put on a bank.

But what you say is just wrong.

There are many statistics about this, just google something like "median net worth retirement" then you will see that the median for retirees in western countries is somewhere in the millions of THB, so most of the retirees can afford 800k on a Thai bank ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

// the median for retirees in western countries is somewhere in the millions of THB, so most of the retirees can afford 800k on a Thai bank ????

Except that - IMHO - many of retirees in Thailand choose to come live here because life is a lot cheaper and they are in the bottom of the graph with - sometimes - not enough to live in their home country !

Even if there are some "rich" retirees here, I would not be surprised to read that the media income for retirees in Thailand is way below 800'000... sadly.

I will repeat myself again, as I have said many times - expect more to follow and likely  all of the rest.

Those nationals that think their respective embassies who have so far not made announcements and will continue to issue these letters/affidavits need to plan now, it should be fairly obvious that the facility is coming to an end.

It has also  been reported from some Immigration offices that they will only accept a Thai seasoned bank balance for 12 month extensions going forward - of course that might change

12 hours ago, thequietman said:

Surely an immigration officer can look at a pension letter or a bank book and make the decision themselves to grant an extension.

This nonsense of having to send the application to Bangkok or CM is quite frankly a total waste of time and just pure bureaucracy. 

everyone needs to be clear before they apply what the rules are 100%

It is too late if you apply and it gets rejected because they won't accept your income proof, of course as has been mentioned already by someone - a proposal was made to approve a rejected application with a payment of 24kbaht

35 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Except that - IMHO - many of retirees in Thailand choose to come live here because life is a lot cheaper and they are in the bottom of the graph with - sometimes - not enough to live in their home country !

Even if there are some "rich" retirees here, I would not be surprised to read that the media income for retirees in Thailand is way below 800'000... sadly.

Somebody who has a monthly pension/income of at least 65,000THB can't be too far in the bottom of the graph and would imho be able to (and should) save the 800k over a few years

10 hours ago, skatewash said:

But one must prove one's level of income each year, therefore it doesn't really matter about a future guarantee.  That would be a concern if the level of income were established one-time only but that's not the way it works.  So I agree that it was a very strange thing to mention in the statement.  If one could prove (guarantee) future income why would they need to prove that every year?  Surely one-time only would be sufficient.

Indeed. Even TI's 65k per month, for 12 months, is an historical statement. So if TI actually told the Danes that they have to certify "future income," of course they said, 'no can do, we're outa here.' Thus, it begs exactly what each embassy has heard from TI.... If the Brits also heard "future income," again, of course they can't verify this -- they can only do what they've been doing, namely checking/verifying the applicants' statements of income, presumably historical. And if anyone is home at TI, this should be "good enough."

So, are different Immigration officers telling different things to different embassies? Or is verification of "future income" really what they want? Or is something being lost here in translation?

Logic would dictate that "good enough" should prevail. And only those (US, Oz) not checking applicants' statements need to come up to the "good enough" level. But logic and Thai Immigration in the same sentence can often be a head scratcher.

• Like 1