Denmark Embassy Has Stopped Doing Pension Letters

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Given that immigration also confirmed, nay insisted, that it is what I had to do,

Not immigration's call, and they are often wrong about labor-issues.

I believe you are completely wrong. It wasn’t an issue as such for them, but the Labour Department, who would, without question have refused to renew my WP.

That remark was put on the visa in error.  Hard to know for sure.  A trip to the MFA office in the Chang Wattana complex (not the immigration offices) to have the correction could have been necessary.

I actually contacted the Thai Embassy before I did anything, and they basically said ‘tough luck now go away’.

Not surprising, sadly.  I can't say I blame you for following the course you did - with everyone pointing this way and that.

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

You don’t convert anything. You apply for a visa as a prerequisite to an extension of stay.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That step (going from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a 90 day O visa) has been referred to as a CONVERSION for several years.

Your both correct, this a case of semantics and if you want to be pedantic about the issue, your actually applying for an alteration to your Visa or Visa status (as a prerequisite to an extension of stay).

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Like 1

22 hours ago, glegolo said:

Maybe this is not the correct thread to write this in, but take  chance.. It was just published now from the swedish embassy that they have no intensions whatsoever to stop issuing these income-letters....

So I guess we swedes at least are off the hook..... Reason being that we have a system in place where we actually have documents that confirms our income, so our embassy can confirm the same as well...

And the same goes for the Norwegians , they have not confirmed any new changes.   So letter is still accepted. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derek B said:

The 800,000 baht for 3 months prior to applying is what needs justification.

That is the deposited funds method and not relevant to the income method.

But to answer your question, that proof is by means of an updated bank passbook and letter from the Thai bank, which Immigration can verify.

As I have mentioned on another thread if you look at the BE site they stopped doing authenication of education certificates...in May. Same month as the letters on income became a problem.  

Have there been problems with false copies being certified/verified/authenicated? 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:01 AM, Psychic said:

The fact is that TI has decided, without notice, without even a statement to not accept embassy letters that they previously did.

I have not seen the announcement of this. Only that of a selection of Embassies stating they will stop or no longer issue these letters.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, Bert Jones said:

Foreign money is no use to Thailand if sat in a bank accounts. Our ex-pat money is of little use to the Thai economy unless we spend it

Does cash deposited in a bank not allow the bank to put out loans for others to finance such spending, usually with a large leverage?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:
On 11/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, Bert Jones said:

Foreign money is no use to Thailand if sat in a bank accounts. Our ex-pat money is of little use to the Thai economy unless we spend it

Does cash deposited in a bank not allow the bank to put out loans for others to finance such spending, usually with a large leverage?

theoretically yes. but globally most banks are flush with cash and that applies to Thai banks too. evidence are the extremely low interest rates paid for cash deposits.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Strictly speaking this is NOT proof of income.  It's proof of importing >65,000 THB per month.  It could come from income/pension, or it could come from savings/investments drawdown. (or it could even be recycled funds).

Moot point I know, but it is good news for anyone wanting to use the "income" method. 

Will it be more widely accepted, and will it be acceptable for the other 3 (so far) nationalities..?

don't be holier than TI and squash good news, I'm sure this is the way it will go in future.

By the way what is wrong with TV, it's incredibly slow, almost unusable sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

Strictly speaking this is NOT proof of income.  It's proof of importing >65,000 THB per month.  It could come from income/pension, or it could come from savings/investments drawdown. (or it could even be recycled funds).

Moot point I know, but it is good news for anyone wanting to use the "income" method. 

Will it be more widely accepted, and will it be acceptable for the other 3 (so far) nationalities..?

No doubts if you ask me !!

20 hours ago, skatewash said:

And will it be accepted by this same immigration officer on different days, or by other immigration officers in the same office, or indeed, in other immigration offices?  Endemic lack of consistency makes it very difficult to detect a trend short of an official announcement.  But promising, nonetheless.

Agreed. I think that we need to await any formal announcement from the Immigration Bureau - presumably in the form of a new directive - before cracking open the bottles of champagne.

And, even if the Immigration Bureau were to issue a new directive sanctioning monthly income sighted in a Thai bank account, there would be absolutely no 100% guarantee that each and every immigration office in LOS would comply with its provisions overnight. In this connection, I can distinctly recall a report on here over the past couple of weeks that the Petchaburi Immigration Office, for example, were still refusing to accept Embassy income confirmations more than 3 months old in spite of the Immigration Bureau directive issued in 2013 authorising a maximum validity period of 6 months!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2