Now what! Thai woman gets a police ticket for not wearing a helmet - in a car!

webfact

Now what! Thai woman gets a police ticket for not wearing a helmet - in a car!

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media reported that a Thai woman driver got a ticket from the Chiang Mai cops for not wearing a helmet while driving a car. 

Sanook said that the ticket gave the licence plate with two Thai letters and two digits clearly indicating the vehicle was a car. It was specified as a black Honda car on the ticket. 

But underneath that the ticket states that the fine is for not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. 

The woman wondered whether she should go in to pay the fine.

Last month a ticket was issued by the Thai cops for a car caught lane changing - except that the car was being transported on a tow truck at the time. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-15

I was fined at a checkpoint for having halogen lights fitted to the front of my pick-up. I'm still not sure if it was because they were there or they had been disconnected some years before I bought the vehicle.

SN850415.JPG

I was sitting outside of a bar drinking a beer when a pickup truck full of police pulled up. One of the policemen said "You own a building therefore you are working. Get into the truck" ! This happened very late on a Friday night, with no chance of contacting my lawyer until the following Monday, ie 3 nights in jail, obviously by design. "Give us 50,000 Bht or you are going to jail right now". The worst thing about Thailand, and I am sure one of the major reasons for the drop in tourists, is the feeling of helplessness in such a position, and the farang here is viewed simply as "prey" by the "authorities". The police here can do whatever they please ????

7 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I was sitting outside of a bar drinking a beer when a pickup truck full of police pulled up. One of the policemen said "You own a building therefore you are working. Get into the truck" ! This happened very late on a Friday night, with no chance of contacting my lawyer until the following Monday, ie 3 nights in jail, obviously by design. "Give us 50,000 Bht or you are going to jail right now". The worst thing about Thailand, and I am sure one of the major reasons for the drop in tourists, is the feeling of helplessness in such a position, and the farang here is viewed simply as "prey" by the "authorities". The police here can do whatever they please ????

Yes, "eating a sandwich with political intent" was one creative example that was used to charge a student, reading a copy of 1984.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Yeah sure... Now we know your 5% of the story... What about the rest?

And MY lawyer is reachable almost 7×24 as of course I have both business and private mobile /line etc... and that is just the norm here in Thailand with any business people, even my bank acct manager is reachable on the weekend

Wanted to fine me THB 500 for having a carryboy canopy on the back of my pick-up. These canopies need to be registered in the blue car registration book.
I told them that the canopy is registered which they did not believe. I gave 'em copies of the registration book clearly showing my statement. 
Then they wanted to charge me with not having the original car registration book with me in the car. Upon asking to see the original instruction showing that not having the book would cost THB 400 the guy in dark sun glasses and mouth mask just walked away. I took a photo of him on which the number on his helmet was visible; he turned around, took my phone away and deleted the photo without asking. Gave me my phone back and walked away.
Beware of these highway robbers; I meanwhile can turn my dashboard camera inside the car to face the driver's window/seat and before they come and ask I tell them that I am recording. Works absolute wonders, trust me! 

Haha! some funny stories in here. My last time driving a motorbike in Pattaya I was passing through a traffic light and it changed to yellow as I went under.  I was stopped at a checkpoint just past the light.  They claimed I ran a yellow light and that it was the same as a red light. 1000 baht fine and took my thai license until I paid. I have it all on video and showed the traffic police supervisor the next day. He says traffic laws were flexible.. Haha... But I still had to pay.. The really funny thing was when getting ticketed the cop actually tried to show me in thai language where it states that going under a yellow light is the same as a red light... It was all in this but my camera captured it and after showing it to my thai wife.. She said the law he showed me was about running a red light. Police there will lie cheat and trick you just to get their daily money in my experience.. Now I avoid driving completely and let my thai woman do it. 

i had a friend who was done by the cops for having his wheels/tyres outside of the body a few cm,s, yet i see Thai pick ups every day with huge wheels with the tyres sticking way out from the body of the vehicle.  yes pick on the farang, easy money

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Nyezhov said:

One of my friends carries the card of a Police Major General relative, shows it, rips up the tickets and says, please call him. 

Why does he do that, does he think that he's above the law by brandishing the card of a corrupt officer?  Sounds like an arse to me.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Yeah, right.

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i had a friend who was done by the cops for having his wheels/tyres outside of the body a few cm,s, yet i see Thai pick ups every day with huge wheels with the tyres sticking way out from the body of the vehicle.  yes pick on the farang, easy money

Who's to say that all those other vehicles that you see every day haven't been fined also?

Just now, Just Weird said:

Not everyone in Thailand is an arse.

I myself used to use get out of jail free cards back in the states. Sorry if it bothers you that some folks can do that. No skin off my britches

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:59 AM, phantomfiddler said:

yes, and things like this do happen.  that is why some of the latest income affidavit changes are a bigger issue than many realize.  If people are induced to put the 800k into a Thai account, well, it just increases the chances of malfeasance.

Archived