BANGKOK 20 February 2019 16:11
Nkpjed

Health Insurance in Isaan

When I came to settle in Ubon Ratchathani in 1994, I took out Health and Accident insurance with AIA. So far, I have not made single claim. Pay the premiums every year. My wife though, has had a couple of garden accidents and the accident insurance covered everything at out-patients. The AIA Ubon agents took care of everything from seeing my wife through the hospital and then the revisits to get the wounds cleaned and dressed. We didn't pay anything. Billed directly to AIA.

Three years ago when I turned 65, I found out that when I reach 75, AIA will most likely no longer cover my health insurance. Pretty annoying after all these years and not a single claim. So I contacted Pacific Cross and they will insure me with health insurance for the remainder of my life. I still keep the AIA insurance going just in case by the time I reach 75 they may extend the age limit for another few years. 

I also contacted Bupa at the same time three years ago, but because I had already turned 65, they could not offer me health insurance. Pacific Cross don't have this age limit. 

On 11/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, yosib157 said:

I have never  used insurance to pay as 10 years ago when I reached 60, the company I had been with 5 years reduced my premium AND cover. Tried unsuccessfully to get another company so now pay cash for all my treatment. Too old now to ask for cover as I already have two major health issues.

My last 4 day stay in NKP with food, special watch and monitored 24 hours including other daily meds I need was only 3,400 thb. Things were different 10 years ago so obviously I wouldn't suggest anybody not having cover --- just the way it worked out for me.

Did you check out that insurance office on the second floor? If it is then this would also be useful for other (younger) members.

I have not checked that out yet.   I live in pla pak so I am 50 km from town.   I will probably go this week for a dental cleaning (you may have to wait a little but Nakhon Phanom Hospital's dental service is also good and affordable) so I will check it out.   Although I have already submitted a proposal to Pacific Cross.      

It is not that insurance doesn't cover government hospitals - they all do. It is that they do nto have direct payment arrangements with the government hospitals i.e. you have to pay first and get reimbursed. This is because the hospitals do not have the necessary staff and administrative capacity to set this up and meet the paperwork requirements (and little reason to invest in it since so few of their cases are paid for by private insurance). 

On 11/19/2018 at 7:41 PM, Sheryl said:

It is not that insurance doesn't cover government hospitals - they all do. It is that they do nto have direct payment arrangements with the government hospitals i.e. you have to pay first and get reimbursed. This is because the hospitals do not have the necessary staff and administrative capacity to set this up and meet the paperwork requirements (and little reason to invest in it since so few of their cases are paid for by private insurance). 

Thanks Sheryl I finally figured that out.