Pelosi vows to become U.S. House speaker despite opposition

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:04 AM, Nyezhov said:

The Speaker number is 218 votes. There are 229 Democtats +/- which means she has a margin of 11.

That means:

a. She needs the entire Democratic majority to vote for her, from the most radical to the most conservative (and there are still a few classic Blue Dogs left). Seems like she wont make it...or

b. She need Republicans...

I can only imagine the Horse trading going on behind the scenes...

The Republicans positively want Pelosi to be speaker because they know she will do absolutely nothing of any real worth. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, notmyself said:

The Republicans positively want Pelosi to be speaker because they know she will do absolutely nothing of any real worth. 

Plus they can blame her for everything. And she mumbles a lot.

"trump" probably prefers her because she is wisely not being aggressive about impeachment.

Who cares what Agent Orange or his fans think either way?

Don’t blow it, Democrats. There’s only one choice to be the next speaker.

Dear newly elected House Democrats,

Congratulations on your historic victory. I hope you take time to reflect on how and why you won. But not too much time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/democrats-you-still-need-nancy-pelosi/2018/11/16/41a95746-e9bc-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html

Obviously he wants something. Funding for the wall, DACA, tax deal? who knows? It is pretty funny that Trump is able to call the shots for the Dems on this one. As i said she most certainly needed Rep support and she has it now.

I see this as divide and conquer and I am sure Pelosi is too power hungry to avoid the trap. If Trump is so bad Pelosi should step aside at this point for the good of her party. But let's face it she wants that spot bad enough to deal with the "devil" that should tell you how she does business.

21 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Obviously he wants something. Funding for the wall, DACA, tax deal? who knows? It is pretty funny that Trump is able to call the shots for the Dems on this one. As i said she most certainly needed Rep support and she has it now.

I see this as divide and conquer and I am sure Pelosi is too power hungry to avoid the trap. If Trump is so bad Pelosi should step aside at this point for the good of her party. But let's face it she wants that spot bad enough to deal with the "devil" that should tell you how she does business.

I don't think you understand how this works. She won't be making promises like that on policy. What some house republicans want is some house technical rules changes. It's possible if Pelosi needs some R votes, she might agree to some of those. But it's too early to know whether she'll need any R votes at all. 

I don't think you understand how this works. She won't be making promises like that on policy. What some house republicans want is some house technical rules changes. It's possible if Pelosi needs some R votes, she might agree to some of those. But it's too early to know whether she'll need any R votes at all. 

What I do know is Trump now even plays an influential part in choosing the leadership role in the part of his opposition. It isn’t a matter of if the Democrats need a Republican. It is a matter of the Republicans chose.

If Trump wants Pelosi he obviously feels that puts him in an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What I do know is Trump now even plays an influential part in choosing the leadership role in the part of his opposition. It isn’t a matter of if the Democrats need a Republican. It is a matter of the Republicans chose.

Careful what you wish for. A significant amount of the democratic opposition to Pelosi is coming from democrats to the right of Pelosi. Pelosi is seriously underappreciated. Her leadership skills are epic. Yes this should be her last stint and she sees part of her role as helping with the transition.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Considering that Trump is an ignoramus and has such a weak grasp of political reality (i.e. his appointment of Whittaker as acting A.G.) his support of Pelosi is no proof at all that it won't work to his detriment.

He has consistently out maneuvered the Democrats. It's like watching a coyote chase a roadrunner at this point. He is manipulating the internal affairs of the opposing party. They are too stupid to realize it. Trump gets votes for your speaker of the house? lol

Put your thinking cap on.

He has consistently out maneuvered the Democrats. It's like watching a coyote chase a roadrunner at this point. He is manipulating the internal affairs of the opposing party. They are too stupid to realize it. Trump gets votes for your speaker of the house? lol

Nope. He's a loser. He just lost the house. By a 9 percent popular vote margin. The infamous tea party takeover of the house was only by a 6 percent popular vote margin.

Again you don't know what you're talking about. "trump" doesn't have any votes in the house and it's premature to assume Pelosi will need even one R vote to win the leadership battle. Given that she's the clear front runner you also falsely assume that a successful opposition candidate to Pelosi might not need some R votes.

Stacey Abrams has been suggested. That is intriguing. I hadn't realized before that you don't even need to be a congressman to be eligible for house leader.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Trump gets votes for your speaker of the house? lol

The Speaker is the parliamentary leader of the House of Representatives.

Wouldn't it be democratic that all House Representatives get a vote on selection of the speaker, especially considering that the Speaker is third after the Vice President for succession to POTUS?

Furthermore, Trump gets no vote. He can push and intimidate Republican Representatives to vote his preference for Speaker. Just as can any POTUS who heads the party that holds a minority in the House.

Or Republican Representatives can chose not to vote at all, albeit their own constituents might not be so complacent.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. He's a loser. He just lost the house. By a 9 percent popular vote margin. The infamous tea party takeover of the house was only by a 6 percent popular vote margin.

The Dems are just keeping the seats warm. Pelosi has agreed to two years only. Trump has purged his house seats of people on the edge.

Trump has a leaner postion in the house but they are all yes people.

If you hate trump that much why wouldn't you be suspicious of Pelosi and trump's endorsement? Trump wants a deal and Pelosi is known to compromise.

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Speaker is the parliamentary leader of the House of Representatives.

Wouldn't it be democratic that all House Representatives get a vote on selection of the speaker, especially considering that the Speaker is third after the Vice President for succession to POTUS?

Furthermore, Trump gets no vote. He can push and intimidate Republican Representatives to vote his preference for Speaker. Just as can any POTUS who heads the party that holds a minority in the House.

Or Republican Representatives can chose not to vote at all, albeit their own constituents might not be so complacent.

What is Democratic or not simply is of no consequence. trump wants her to be the speaker and has decided to bury her opposition.

27 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

To be very clear trump has promised the vote won't even be close. Pelosi has all the votes she needs. This is going to be good for the stock market on Monday. You can quote me on that.

I couldn't care less about a one day movement in the stock market and yes, I'm invested in it. The democrats just took over the house again in a dramatic way and there is a majority leader needed now. If people other than Pelosi want to make a play for that, then they should. What "trump" says or doesn't say about it shouldn't make a difference to the democrats either way. It's known that many republicans want Pelosi because she's easy for them to scapegoat, being a strong old woman that's perceived as abrasive. That shouldn't matter to democrats either. The misogynist "trump" fans that fall for that are irredeemable regardless. 

25 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Pelosi has been appointed by Trump basically. Comprende amigo?

I comprehend that you don't know what you're talking about. Are you even a democrat? It sounds to me like you're just playing games. 

Back to reality.

The democrats in the house are massively diverse. Unlike the republicans which are almost all "trump" bots.

A majority leader of the house of democrats must have skills in dealing with a large faction to the relative right and a large faction to the relative left. Relative because of course a more right wing democrat is not the same as a neo-fascist right wing republican. She (or any democratic majority leader) needs to unify all of those diverse factions to have any chance to get anything done. That will include sometimes cooperating with republicans if the legislation is worthy. The American people don't only want obstruction for obstruction's sake. Pelosi is one of the greatest house leaders ever in being effective with that key skill, herding the cats and vote counting. The democrats would be very foolish to dump her at this critical time in history. 

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I give up. I have never seen you change your mind based upon logical positions anyway.

Do what you need to do, snookums.

Characterizing your arguments here as "logical" fits with the times under the perverted troll president, where truth and facts don't matter.

But I will try -- "trump" is not appointing Pelosi. That is trollish misinformation that has nothing to do with the truth. 

Democrats know better. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Do what you need to do, snookums.

Characterizing your arguments here as "logical" fits with the times under the perverted troll president, where truth and facts don't matter.

You my friend have lost the plot, matey. I am happy you will not be returning to the USA. Your vision of a welfare state isn't what young voters want.

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

I blame Obama and not pelosi, and will attempt to explain why below.

I have no love lost for the Democrats, I simply see them as closer aligned to my interests but by no stretch of the imagination perfectly aligned.

At this point they are the lesser evil and only choice.

I am afraid you are giving Pelosi more credit than she deserves, tough she  had her part to play in losing the house, she certainly did not preside over the state, senate, or executive, There is a lot of blame to go around, and if she is to be blamed for losing the house then should she not be credited for winning it back?

IMO we are where we are because of Obama's deal with the devil.

When Obama gained the Democratic nomination, to win the presidency he made a deal with the Clintons, Hillary was made Secretary of state State to build up her resumate , and was promised her turn at the presidency eight years later.

During the Democratic primary elections for the nomination there were a lot of threads running on TVF with many supporting Hillary, I supported Sanders with my actions and my gold  and was consistent in stating what the Republicans will do with all Hillary's baggage.

Which is exactly what happened. In addition, americans do not like a coronation. Hillary dragged down the rest of the tiket.

Though there is a lot of blame to go around, I Blame Obama and not Pelosi. 

I cannot disagree with much here and was in a similar boat to you in '16...

The bolded part is where we would diverge... I believe we can credit 45 far more than anything P. or the DNC did for the midterm results. Do you believe P. inspired all the female and persons of colour to take up the torch and oppose the GOP?

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

You my friend have lost the plot, matey. I am happy you will not be returning to the USA. Your vision of a welfare state isn't what young voters want.

You've fully revealed your game now. I don't believe you're posting sincerely here so this exchange had reached it's conclusion. 

Archived