Pelosi vows to become U.S. House speaker despite opposition

webfact

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This sort of thing must cause Trump supporters to spontaneously combust...

Trump says Pelosi deserves speakership, offers Republican votes

President Donald Trump waded into the Democratic House leadership battle again Saturday morning, throwing his weight behind the woman he’s spent the last few months demonizing: Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

Trump tweeted that he could get the longtime leader of the Democratic caucus “as many votes as she wants in order for her to be Speaker of the House” — a position that requires the votes of the majority of House members, not the majority of the party.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/17/18099910/trump-nancy-pelosi-speaker-republican-support

The "trump" movement is a toxic cult. Its fans go where it goes, even if it changes directions in the middle of a sentence. Which it often does. Don't look for normal logic from "trump" fans. There is no there there.

In any case it's unlikely Pelosi will be needing any R votes to win the speakership.

As far as understanding the "trump" game on this, democrats should just ignore that and do what's best for both the democratic party and the American people (including "trump" fans, bless their dear hearts).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is truly unfortunate. I was really hoping for a strong challenge from the left. Really hoping we are not gonna see another misguided, centrist, entitled, identity politics csndidate like 2016. If that is their direction they will be crushed in 2020.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yep. All that's left to oppose Pelosi are the misogynists / the more right wing democrats. Game (almost) over.

Just curious..why does anyone who oppose what you see as "correct" have to be called names? Are you saying that there is no good reason to oppose Nancy Pelosi other than misogyny? Folks cant have legitimate policy differences with her? Have different opinions as to her leadership role and what a leader is to do? Question her allegiance to special interests? Question her effectiveness in formulating a strategic plan to ensure that Democratic policy goals are best presented? Beleive that her reelection as speaker will provide the opposing party with political ammunition.

Arent all those beleifs and/or questions legitimate reasons to oppose her? Or is everything reduced to racism or sexism and nothing else?

I ask you since you are one of the few I dont ignore. Once in a while, you leave the echo chamber.

20 minutes ago, mikebike said:

That is truly unfortunate. I was really hoping for a strong challenge from the left. Really hoping we are not gonna see another misguided, centrist, entitled, identity politics csndidate like 2016. If that is their direction they will be crushed in 2020.

You're confusing the role of the speaker of the house with democratic presidential nominee in 2020. Also it seems you were misinformed about the challenge to Pelosi from the start. There never was a strong resistance to her from the left. It was from the right.

We're on the same page though even though you come off as a PURIST. Of course the democrats need to show Americans they are for real progressive positive change going forward on top of their obvious opposition to the orange troll horror show of 45. I think Pelosi is the right person at this time to help with that in congress and so do most democrats. You don't. I say don't assume Pelosi won't perform as you hope until you see that she doesn't. Keep in mind the democrats that were more successful in the recent historic midterms were more on the left and the milquetoast centrists were less successful. 

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Just curious..why does anyone who oppose what you see as "correct" have to be called names? Are you saying that there is no good reason to oppose Nancy Pelosi other than misogyny? Folks cant have legitimate policy differences with her? Have different opinions as to her leadership role and what a leader is to do? Question her allegiance to special interests? Question her effectiveness in formulating a strategic plan to ensure that Democratic policy goals are best presented? Beleive that her reelection as speaker will provide the opposing party with political ammunition.

Arent all those beleifs and/or questions legitimate reasons to oppose her? Or is everything reduced to racism or sexism and nothing else?

I ask you since you are one of the few I dont ignore. Once in a while, you leave the echo chamber.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're confusing the role of the speaker of the house with democratic presidential nominee in 2020. Also it seems you were misinformed about the challenge to Pelosi from the start. There never was a strong resistance to her from the left. It was from the right.

We're on the same page though even though you come off as a PURIST. Of course the democrats need to show Americans they are for real progressive positive change going forward on top of their obvious opposition to the orange troll horror show of 45. I think Pelosi is the right person at this time to help with that in congress and so do most democrats. You don't. I say don't assume Pelosi won't perform as you hope until you see that she doesn't. Keep in mind the democrats that were more successful in the recent historic midterms were more on the left and the milquetoast centrists were less successful. 

As you may recall, not long ago someone flamed you on account of how many posts you've made. It was such a weird nasty flame that I looked at it closely. The flame ultimately got removed but not before a certain party "liked" it. Don't be fooled by some people's pretenses to rationality and honest discourse. A good way to judge them is by what the "like" and "dislike'. If they consistently like troll posts that ultimately get removed, that says something significant about them.

In all these criticisms of Pelosi from Nyezhov or Riclag or parties with similar views, has there been anything of substance? What specific actions has she taken to earn their condemnations? If there are any, we haven't seen them posting any.  It's just been name calling.

Bernie suggests an agenda for the new house majority. What's not to like?

"Democrats need a bold agenda. Here’s what they should do in the first 100 days of Congress.

As a result of the recent midterm elections, Democrats flipped nearly 40 congressional seats and will control the House of Representatives. Impressively, nearly 6 million more Americans voted for a Democrat to represent them in the House than who did for a Republican. Further, Democrats took over seven governor’s seats and won hundreds of legislative races in statehouses across the country. To a significant degree, the American people rejected President Trump’s agenda benefiting the wealthy and the powerful, as well as his racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and religious bigotry."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/democrats-need-a-bold-agenda-heres-what-they-should-do-in-the-first-100-days-of-congress/2018/11/21/dc80ddd6-ed07-11e8-96d4-0d23f2aaad09_story.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations to Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.

And too to all the New Democrat Representatives who took their seats today, many women, many not white, many who won their seats on a left wing agenda.

Not a good day for Illiberals, definitely not a good day for Trump.

New Chairs of House Investigation Committees to be announced, Russian assets need not apply.

Congratulations to Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.

And too to all the New Democrat Representatives who took their seats today, many women, many not white, many who won their seats on a left wing agenda.

Not a good day for Illiberals, definitely not a good day for Trump.

New Chairs of House Investigation Committees to be announced, Russian assets need not apply.
Yeah that old lady rocks the house!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived