BANGKOK
kjun12

How good is WAZE

Excuse my ignorance but does reporting traffic etc involve playing with your phone while driving? I can't see myself doing that.

7 hours ago, cooked said:

Excuse my ignorance but does reporting traffic etc involve playing with your phone while driving? I can't see myself doing that.

The only way it can reasonably work is to have a passenger in the car do do the reporting on his own phone.

I tested this last weekend, wasn't able to pickup various police checkpoints on the highways

Shame as i'd happily pay a subscription to know where they are 

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I tested this last weekend, wasn't able to pickup various police checkpoints on the highways

Shame as i'd happily pay a subscription to know where they are 

Requires user input. The more people do it, the more useful it will become. Did you add anything to it?

Actually, this is a good OP.  On my last three vacations I've used Google Maps and was less than happy.  I've had the app flat out give me wrong directions sending me in the opposite direction from where I was going or telling me to make U-turns where I knew that the correct direction was straight.  Also, if I load in a destination on my wife's phone and the same destination on mine and then get different directions from the app.  And on a trip from Cha Am to Lopburi, the app got us so lost in the Bangkok road maze I wanted to kill my phone.  It took us off a toll road going North (that I'm sure I should have stayed on) and I could never find the way back to it.  We looped past the same locations in about a 10 kilometer radius for about 90 minutes.  I finally told my wife to shut off her phone and her screaming comments and let me drive.  I finally found an on-ramp heading north via a compass reading and just went with it until I recognized the area we were in.  It didn't help that there were virtually no highway numbers displayed on the elevated toll roads.  That was unpleasant. 

Anyway, I'd like to try a new app for finding direction.  Actually what I really want is a detailed road map like you can buy in the US as any gas station, but what they have here are inaccurate and poorly scaled, ie, they suck.  I'll give WAZE a shot but I'd be interested in other map/direction/GPS apps too.
Interesting what you say about google maps giving wrong directions, compared to another phone. I'd suggest it may be a phone problem.
I have used Sony phones over the years and have always been happy with google maps, using it for directions while driving and in another app for recording route data while riding my bike.
Then I bought a Huawei phone. That device gave me all sorts of problems in google maps, and in the other route recording app. In that app it failed to pick up gps points, and "invented" many other points, meaning the recorded route was rubbish.
When using it to find my way it had me going every which way except the correct way. I still had a Sony so I ran them together while driving, the Sony was correct as expected while the Huawei was again all over the place.
Needless to say I got rid of the Huawei.
So, check your phone!

Sent from my G8441 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, connda said:

Anyway, I'd like to try a new app for finding direction.  Actually what I really want is a detailed road map like you can buy in the US as any gas station, but what they have here are inaccurate and poorly scaled, ie, they suck.  I'll give WAZE a shot but I'd be interested in other map/direction/GPS apps too.

Try "Here We Go".  I know it works with Android OS.  Not sure about Apple IOS

I think that it may have traffic condition alerts, if you have an internet connection.  I have two Samsung tablets that only have wifi.  It has also alerted me to intersection red light cameras here in the U.S.  

Your device must have a GPS built in.  

You choose the map(s) for your country of choice and download them.