Premier League clubs agree to Video Assistant Referees next season

mrbojangles

Premier League clubs agree to Video Assistant Referees next season

Non-live trials to continue this season as Premier League looks to develop "a clear protocol for communicating VAR decisions to fans"

Video Assistant Referees (VAR) are set to be used in the Premier League next season after clubs agreed "in principle" to their introduction.

The league met with its shareholders on Thursday to provide an update on its latest VAR testing and has confirmed it will formally submit a request to use the technology in the 2018-19 season.

A statement released by the Premier League read: "At a Shareholders' Meeting today, clubs were provided with an update on the non-live VAR trials being undertaken by the League and Professional Game Match Officials (PGMOL) this season. "Key learnings from VAR's use in the FA and Carabao Cups, and other leagues across the world, were discussed in detail.

"The Premier League's non-live testing programme will remain in place for the rest of this season, with a continued emphasis on those Saturday afternoons which have several matches being played concurrently, and developing a clear protocol for communicating VAR decisions to fans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11554963/premier-league-clubs-agree-to-video-assistant-referees-next-season

I understand how this reduces incorrect decisions, but it does take away that human element. Part of the game is a good argument over a dodgy offside or penalty, even if this goes against your team.

I cant take to VAR at all. Too clinical and stopping and starting a game spoils the flow.

Of course VAR is going to help the officials make correct decisions when without VAR they might not. If VAR cancels out ridiculous decisions like the *Sterling penalty vs Shakhtar (shouldn't have been a penalty for City) or Sane / Milner last touch (should have been a goal for City) then that has to be a good thing.

Bring it on i say.

*Yes i know it was in the CL and not PL before anyone mentions it.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Thought it was a great success in Russia. Hopefully the FA will not only learn loads this season but also make sure they communicate it to the officials and viewers properly

To me overall it was a winner bar one match where it became farcical.

The key is to make the decisions quickly and restart the game.

18 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

To me overall it was a winner bar one match where it became farcical.

The key is to make the decisions quickly and restart the game.

It seems to have been used pretty well in La Liga. Not overly intrusive and fairly quick coming to a decision. OTOH in Serie A its been messy, maybe overused, and with lengthy delays. Here's hoping they get it close to right from the get go in the EPL. I'll have to take the bad with the good.

9 minutes ago, jellydog said:

It seems to have been used pretty well in La Liga. Not overly intrusive and fairly quick coming to a decision. OTOH in Serie A its been messy, maybe overused, and with lengthy delays. Here's hoping they get it close to right from the get go in the EPL. I'll have to take the bad with the good.

The first year I'd expect a few issues but overall it will improve decision making and punish cheating so I'm in.

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Of course VAR is going to help the officials make correct decisions when without VAR they might not. If VAR cancels out ridiculous decisions like the *Sterling penalty vs Shakhtar (shouldn't have been a penalty for City) or Sane / Milner last touch (should have been a goal for City) then that has to be a good thing.

Bring it on i say.

*Yes i know it was in the CL and not PL before anyone mentions it.

Still sore about last seasons champions league, even your manager brought Milner decision up the other week. Your fans are even singing about us while playing a Manchester derby. Haha I love it.

You can relax now, instead of winning 5 nil, you can win 7 nil, and the atmosphere will not be disrupted. City win all-round. 

For me an injury time winner, that has to go VAR will not be celebrated as it should going forward, the moment will be lost, shame.

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Still sore about last seasons champions league, even your manager brought Milner decision up the other week. Your fans are even singing about us while playing a Manchester derby. Haha I love it.

You can relax now, instead of winning 5 nil, you can win 7 nil, and the atmosphere will not be disrupted. City win all-round. 

For me an injury time winner, that has to go VAR will not be celebrated as it should going forward, the moment will be lost, shame.

Bob i was trying to be fair by quoting examples of bad decisions for and against  us where VAR would have given the CORRECT DECISION and not the wrong un. I gave the same examples Pep gave. But yes will always be sore about THAT wrong Milner decision which would have made it 2-0 and GAME ON.

City fans sing the liverpool piss-take at ALL GAMES not just the derby. Pleased you love it: here's the words so you join in every game you watch us.

“All the way to Kiev
To end up in defeat
Crying in the stands
And battered on the streets
Ramos injured Salah
Victims of it all
Sterling won the double
The scousers won <deleted> all
ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ”

????

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bob i was trying to be fair by quoting examples of bad decisions for and against  us where VAR would have given the CORRECT DECISION and not the wrong un. I gave the same examples Pep gave. But yes will always be sore about THAT wrong Milner decision which would have made it 2-0 and GAME ON.

City fans sing the liverpool piss-take at ALL GAMES not just the derby. Pleased you love it: here's the words so you join in every game you watch us.

“All the way to Kiev
To end up in defeat
Crying in the stands
And battered on the streets
Ramos injured Salah
Victims of it all
Sterling won the double
The scousers won <deleted> all
ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ”

????

Singing about us every week, talking about us in press conferences, singing about us in a competition that we bowled you out of in spectacular style. Embarrassing....

23 hours ago, nikmar said:

I understand how this reduces incorrect decisions, but it does take away that human element. Part of the game is a good argument over a dodgy offside or penalty, even if this goes against your team.

I cant take to VAR at all. Too clinical and stopping and starting a game spoils the flow.

Stopping and starting spoils the flow? Watch a American football game.

The replays on telly are quicker than VAR. Why doesn't the 4th 'official' have Sky/BT Sports on in the dug out.

And put the ref's mic thru the PA system so we all know what he's telling the players.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The replays on telly are quicker than VAR. Why doesn't the 4th 'official' have Sky/BT Sports on in the dug out.

And put the ref's mic thru the PA system so we all know what he's telling the players.

yep,,thats to simple for football.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

VAR seems to breakdown in to those who don't want the flow of the game to be affected and can put up with wrong decisions ("it's part of the game") and those of us who can handle the short delay while a correct decision is given. Football at the top level is big business and VAR will become part of the game, while you luddites will be able to enjoy your freeflowing wrong-decisions-are-ok at the lower levels where VAR is not feasible.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

VAR seems to breakdown in to those who don't want the flow of the game to be affected and can put up with wrong decisions ("it's part of the game") and those of us who can handle the short delay while a correct decision is given. Football at the top level is big business and VAR will become part of the game, while you luddites will be able to enjoy your freeflowing wrong-decisions-are-ok at the lower levels where VAR is not feasible.

Sorry Mr Blue, I am totally in favour of VAR, we (City) would be a good few goals/points ahead already.

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Singing about us every week, talking about us in press conferences, singing about us in a competition that we bowled you out of in spectacular style. Embarrassing....

Embarrassing; nah! Bet you know which line of the song is the City fans' favourite. ????

Archived