I need Dummy guide to install scanner driver for Epson L220

khunbillmex

Hello from Khon Kaen,

I am totally frustrated with this. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and can't get the scanner driver installed or working no matter what set of instructions I follow.

(I have the printer installed via CUPS and it works fine)

I need a pure Dummy hand hold set of instructions for an installation or if someone who is in KK who could do a house call ( I can pay) that would be great.

One thing I have noticed in the .deb packages for the L220 is that the /data file is not included/is missing in the extracted imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-18.04-1.3.38.x64.deb.tar.gz file .

It is almost impossible to help you this way - far too much info needed.

open a terminal ctrl+alt+t - then copy this into it - sudo apt install sane - sane is an acronym for Scanner Access Now Easy. it may just work after this.

Next (You say you have a .deb file????

1 hour ago, khunbillmex said:

One thing I have noticed in the .deb packages for the L220....

Open a terminal and type sudo dpkg -i </path/to/file.deb>. Hit Enter.  IF this does not make sense to you  - THEN - If the .deb file is in your downloads folder - open your file manager - right lick the downloads folder - and select open in terminal. If this command is NOT available on your version of UBUNTU then use CD Downloads in a terminal window THEN type sudo dpkg -i *.deb Assuming there is only ONE ,deb file in the folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all - I had a hip replacement interrupt my attempts to get this working. I'm in better shape now and ready to tackle this again,

This Reply is  directed to Malandlee.  (Charlie I'll check out the link later -jmd8800 Not working yet)

Thanks for your reply - sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you - just had my hip replaced.

In /Downloads I have found a good bundle (one that has the /data file): iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
What do I do now? Extract it? if so to where? Using Terminal? Archive Manager?  ??
I have extracted it to show the contents: (See attached image )
What is my next step?  The .deb files must be installed in this order: 1 /data  2 /core   3 /plugins

Thanks for helping me here esp in giving alternate routes to maneuver around terminal and do CD's

iscan contents.png

3 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

Hello to all - I had a hip replacement interrupt my attempts to get this working. I'm in better shape now and ready to tackle this again,

This Reply is  directed to Malandlee.  (Charlie I'll check out the link later -jmd8800 Not working yet)

Thanks for your reply - sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you - just had my hip replaced.

In /Downloads I have found a good bundle (one that has the /data file): iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
What do I do now? Extract it? if so to where? Using Terminal? Archive Manager?  ??
I have extracted it to show the contents: (See attached image )
What is my next step?  The .deb files must be installed in this order: 1 /data  2 /core   3 /plugins

Thanks for helping me here esp in giving alternate routes to maneuver around terminal and do CD's

iscan contents.png

The last file in your picture the README.rst file is highlighted. In this file are the installation instructions written by Epson. I'd follow them. These instructions are what I wrote below I just elaborated them a little bit for clarity. For future reference there is always a README file included with Unix/Linux type software that is usually full of information about how to install and troubleshoot and other things. First thing I do after unzipping a new file is look for a README file.

If you want to do it via command line then open a terminal and change to the Downloads directory.

$cd Downloads (linux is case sensitive)

at the $ type 'ls iscan*.deb' and you should see your file 'iscan-bundle........deb'

next type in: tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz (note the spaces and spelling.)

this creates a new directory. so type in $cd iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64 then hit enter

should look like this <login name>@<hostname>:~/Downloads/iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64$

type in: $ls and you should find the same files listed in the picture you posted in this thread.

One of those files should be 'install.sh'. So at the $ type in $sudo ./install.sh then enter. It will ask for your password so enter it. Then you see some text flying across the screen, and it may ask you some questions as well, and in a little bit (maybe a minute or so) it will complete and go back to: :~/Downloads/iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64$

At that point everything should be good if you did not see any errors at the end of the install.sh script.

I am not sure if you have to reboot or not but I would do so to be sure the kernel modules will load when requested. At that point you should have a working epson scanner / printer.

As a note I use HP printers with Linux. I tried an Epson maybe 15 years ago and could not make it work. I switched to HP then and have had no troubles. Things probably have changed in 15 years.

Hello, I just hit a snag:

bill@bill:~$ cd Downloads

>>>at the $ type 'ls iscan*.deb' and you should see your file 'iscan-bundle........deb'
bill@bill:~/Downloads$ ls iscan*.deb
ls: cannot access 'iscan*.deb': No such file or directory

>>>Tried again with ' marks at beginning and end
bill@bill:~/Downloads$ 'ls iscan*.deb'
ls iscan*.deb: command not found
bill@bill:~/Downloads$

2 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

Note the bundle   iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz    is in the Downloads directory

Looking back at what I wrote I see my mistake.

This: bill@bill:~/Downloads$ 'ls iscan*.deb' should have been this: bill@bill:~/Downloads$ ls iscan*.gz

And yes don't use the ' marks. ls is short for list. If you see the correct file then move on to the next command:

bill@bill:~/Downloads$tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz  you will see text scroll in the terminal. When this finishes pick up on the next command: $cd iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64 then hit enter and continue from the instructions above. the cd command is 'change directory'

You'll find LOTS of abbreviations in Unix / Linux type systems. This dates back to when resources were very very limited.

My apologies for making that mistake.

42 minutes ago, khunbillmex said:

Still getting stuck  ( I have plenty of patience while we work this out )

snag2.png

snag3.png

In a terminal type in: whereis tar

you should get this:  tar: /usr/lib/tar /bin/tar /usr/include/tar.h /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz

Also, Epson's instructions say to use: tar xaf <filename>. I use a - sign before the xaf like this: tar -xaf <filename>

tar is an archiving utility. Similar functions to WinZip on Windows and Apple.

Alternatively you can use the GUI and Archive Manager and extract it in place. Open and extract accepting the defaults should give you a sub-directory in Downloads called: iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64 or something similar. After Archive Manager finishes check for directory name and go back to the terminal and move into that directory and find if the install.sh is there by the ls command. If so, type in: sudo ./install.sh and go from there.

41 minutes ago, johng said:

I was going to suggest "sudo su"
Then untar and cd to the directory
and ./install.sh

So many problems with linux permissions and esoteric fault codes when something goes "squiffy"

Since khunbillmex is working in his home directory he should not need to use sudo as he is the owner of the files and directories in /home/bill. He will need sudo to run the install.sh script as the script will be writing in system directories.

If he was required to use any superuser status the command would have exited with a 'you don't have permission' type of statement.

Some see permissions as a problem. I see it as a safeguard.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmd8800 and others who have helped - You are the best!

The L220 scanner is recognized by both Simple Scan and by Imagescan.

On Simple scan it 'runs' for about a second and then thinks it is done - it doesn't invoke the hardware. On Imagescan it does run but it has to be 'reminded' to Preview. It will then run but does not have any facility for cropping but it can scan and save. I have rebooted and have also removed and reinstalled both Simplescan and Imagescan but the problems I mentioned remain. I think I can live with them.

epson ready2scan.png

36 minutes ago, khunbillmex said:

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmd8800 and others who have helped - You are the best!

The L220 scanner is recognized by both Simple Scan and by Imagescan.

On Simple scan it 'runs' for about a second and then thinks it is done - it doesn't invoke the hardware. On Imagescan it does run but it has to be 'reminded' to Preview. It will then run but does not have any facility for cropping but it can scan and save. I have rebooted and have also removed and reinstalled both Simplescan and Imagescan but the problems I mentioned remain. I think I can live with them.

epson ready2scan.png

Happy days!!!

One thing you might want to look into is specific Ubuntu help forums. Usually someone has a problem exactly like yours. There are many forums and that is where Linux can really shine. TVF are ok but the global platforms have better reach.

So do a search in duckduckgo.com for say: epson l220 printer and scanner on ubuntu 18.04 LTS and you will see a few help forums listed like askubuntu.com. Sometimes people get short of tolerance but claim newbee status and try to make things work and usually people will be helpful.

When searching or asking online always be clear about environment you are using (i.e ubuntu 18.04 LTS etc) and be specific as you can about hardware or software issue. (epson l220 software version 1.0.4)

Will do!

I started this project out looking on Ubuntu forums but became increasingly frustrated basically by my lack of simple knowledge on Linux terms that is why I posted here on TVF just to see f I could attract some attention - and I sure did and it was just what I was looking for. I'll go back to the Ubuntu forums and look for the fixes to the scanner issues.

Archived