Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I believe you are right, especially the ill mannered Chinese, but when I'm in Pattaya the most unsocial behaved people are as I said, because I cannot walk any short distance without passing these old shirtless, ugly, freaks of human nature showing of their disgusting fat, big titted, bodies.

I am from the old brigade 76 years,  but do not wear socks with plastic shoes,  old saggy vest showing disgusting bellies looking unclean, in food outlets, hotels, and shopping malls.  It is bad enough on the beach,  but back on topic again the biggest reason for less tourists is the strong baht--example-- 38 baht exchange for 1 pound sterling and the 220 baht charge per transaction at ATMs---PLEASE note TAT

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have TAT seen the destruction these so called quality rejects have done to Pattaya. it's a god sent message that there not here. Buses destroying the roads. Ripping down power lines. Unroadworthy smoke pouring pollution machines. Thais are nothing from these pests

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Why is everyone in Thailand so intently focused on the cost of the visa as the deciding factor for tourists whether they come or not? It is so odd. It is so wide of the mark. Like a mantra repeated without thought.

That is the only thing they can blame it on without someone having to lose face

21 hours ago, smedly said:

Many factors and one of the primary ones is the Strength of the Thai BAHT - big money in Thailand wants a strong BAHT simply because they want to invest overseas both in business and property

As for Chinese - I predicted on here a couple of years ago that Chinese tourists will drop for a couple of reasons, been there done that and told friends and family don't bother, very unlikely (unlike western tourists) to be repeat visitors. Safety

West is the golden goose for Thai people. How many Thai ladies do you see strolling with the smelly China lol. Let's get real here. There carted around to remove them of there money. Back to hotel and another bus day and soon after airport delivery. Sheep and the shepherd 

3 hours ago, zzidenn said:

It’s true though that Chinese like to travel bucket list style, they visit and that’s it, next time they go somewhere else to try different food. 

And, that's not just true for Chinese.  When it comes to tourism, I think lots of people, including me, have a bucket list and I likely will visit most places I want to see just once. 

Thailand offering free visas and special gates at the airport for Chinese tourists. There are plenty of farangs coming to Thailand and have been coming for many years. The easy solution is STOP all visa fees for up to 2 months. The tourists will come and stay and spend their money in Thailand instead of skipping off to another country and returning to Thailand.

Global economy is not what it used to be. Everyone is affected and people are chosing how to use their cash in the best way possible. Mass tourism can be exploited or has been exploited for immediate gains but that can evaporate as quickly as it was created. Tourists want safe, clean and reliable services. They don't want to be preyed upon and they expect to enter with a smile and leave with one.

22 hours ago, SkyNets said:

That's what happens when you take money but do not put any of it back into the system for clean beaches, safety and so on. The no smoking beach idea was clever too, think alot of the Chinese still smoke.

I agree - clean up the resort areas of Rubbish and improve the infrastructure of places like Samui where I live...

I think the TAT needs a MAJOR overhaul - some fresh blood and new ideas. if you go to London, Vietnam is doing major publicity there - Thailand cannot be complacent just because it is well established.

20 hours ago, Kim J said:

"Where have all the Chinese gone"?

Well I would say they have gone just the same way as every group of "quality tourists" that come to Pattaya. Once the reality of the place dawns and word gets around they will simply go anywhere else but here.

My other half was asking me similar questions a few years ago when the Russian families all but disappeared for a time. I simply put one question to her and she has never asked again, that question being: Would you like it and what would we do if we were on holiday here in the middle of Pattaya with our daughter?

Ultimately there is little here to interest or accommodate normal families, take away the bars etc, and what would there be to interest anyone? Here is a brief list of what Pattaya does have.

Endless prostitution.

Filthy sea and beaches.

Litter strewn streets.

Constant harassment.

Permanent traffic jams.

Having to walk on roads due to lack of pavements or pavements blocked with vehicles, retailers etc etc.

Nowhere to safely cross busy roads.

It is rife with crime.

It is rife with antisocial behaviour.

It is rife with corruption and dishonesty.

Constant harassment from police if you drive.

They now want to charge first world prices for third world quality and service.

You forgot the floods when have a decent down pour comes along,mainly due to blocked drains

2 hours ago, Whitestarschool said:
3 hours ago, Bournville said:

Chiang Mai is very quiet.

Sat, 17 November, 12:04 PM: Chiang Mai is alive with the sound of tourists...was quiet up until a couple days ago, but the tourist hordes are returning to this Shangri-Lanna in the North Country, Buddha bless them one and all.

Right .... got your pom poms out  :thumbsup:

BTW Don't keep us in suspense where were they? when did you see them and Chinese or western? I have seen more westerners up here for sure in the last couple weeks, but then that is to be expected. However it is a drop in the bucket for the hotel glut.

Keep cheering maybe they will come, that's what TAT does. 

"Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya"

And running side by side to this "top story"  - in the next "top story" box:-

Chinese tourists still number one visitors to Phuket

.....................“On the other hand, Chinese tourists who are visiting Phuket by themselves, called FIT groups (Free and Independent Travellers), has not decreased. They are continuing to visit Phuket in high numbers.:

The Deputy Director of the Phuket Tourism Authority of Thailand, Montri Manator obviously knows the answer!

Where have all the Chinese gone? 

hoi an vietnam is wall to wall chinese, standing room only. clean beaches and no mass casualties. hoi an is picture postcard city. relatively very little double pricing or scamming c/w thailand. taxis use meter and take u where you want to go, no gem shop excursions. prices generally less than thailand. vietnamese more ethnically similar to chinese.

20 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

So many issues here...

Have you ever been to Asia before, Thailand is not that much different from other Asian countries?

Have you ever been to Thailand, Pattaya is a tourist destination with a reputation that is slowly changing, did you expect something different, if so, you didn't do your homework.

Have you ever been to China, Pattaya is a step up when compared to many places in China!

"Rife with crime, corruption and antisocial behaviour"...are you sure you went to Pattaya and not to Bridlington or Blackpool and became confused!

The rest of your post is nothing more than a rant about all the negatives in Thailand hence no responses necessary because everyone sees it for what it is.

Well, he did list many negatives about Thailand, it is true, mostly fully justifiable and many members did indeed respond, most of whom seemed to be in agreement.

22 hours ago, Kim J said:

"Where have all the Chinese gone"?

Well I would say they have gone just the same way as every group of "quality tourists" that come to Pattaya. Once the reality of the place dawns and word gets around they will simply go anywhere else but here.

My other half was asking me similar questions a few years ago when the Russian families all but disappeared for a time. I simply put one question to her and she has never asked again, that question being: Would you like it and what would we do if we were on holiday here in the middle of Pattaya with our daughter?

Ultimately there is little here to interest or accommodate normal families, take away the bars etc, and what would there be to interest anyone? Here is a brief list of what Pattaya does have.

Endless prostitution.

Filthy sea and beaches.

Litter strewn streets.

Constant harassment.

Permanent traffic jams.

Having to walk on roads due to lack of pavements or pavements blocked with vehicles, retailers etc etc.

Nowhere to safely cross busy roads.

It is rife with crime.

It is rife with antisocial behaviour.

It is rife with corruption and dishonesty.

Constant harassment from police if you drive.

They now want to charge first world prices for third world quality and service.

That’s just nitpicking.... ???? 

5 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Well, he did list many negatives about Thailand, it is true, mostly fully justifiable and many members did indeed respond, most of whom seemed to be in agreement.

If the person made a poor holiday destination choice that he was unhappy with, I'm sorry about that but perhaps he should have done better research. If he is to be believed he claims he has extensive knowledge of Asia which makes his remarks even more confusing....didn't know, did know and later regretted, hard to tell. I wonder also how many of the people who supported that post have actually been to Pattaya or live in Thailand, I'm guessing none because Pattaya resident expats tend not to bash where they live hence I'm guessing most are/were one time tourists. Then there's the possibility that many of those posters do actually live in Thailand but live elsewhere, location snobbery is a powerful thing for expats sometime!

I went to Pattaya for a few days earlier this year, we hadn't been there for ten years or so. We (my wife and I) were both quite impressed with much of the change that had taken place, all for the better as far as we could see. But there again we were comparing against ten years before rather than last year. Of course there were traffic problems, of course the pavements were uneven, of course all the other things on the list (mostly), this is Thailand not Singapore or New York, what do people expect, Singapore facilities and infrastructure at third world prices!!!

38 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

38 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

. I wonder also how many of the people who supported that post have actually been to Pattaya or live in Thailand, I'm guessing none because Pattaya resident expats tend not to bash where they live hence I'm guessing most are/were one time tourists. Then there's the possibility that many of those posters do actually live in Thailand but live elsewhere, location snobbery is a powerful thing for expats sometime!

I went to Pattaya for a few days earlier this year, we hadn't been there for ten years or so. We (my wife and I) were both quite impressed with much of the change that had taken place, all for the better as far as we could see. But there again we were comparing against ten years before rather than last year. Of course there were traffic problems, of course the pavements were uneven, of course all the other things on the list (mostly), this is Thailand not Singapore or New York, what do people expect, Singapore facilities and infrastructure at third world prices!!!

What people expect here are not non valid comparisons to Singapore but rather valid comparisons to Vietnam and Bali.   ( at comparable prices) That in case you missed it can be seen above. And you are very wrong that Pattaya residents do not complain about Pattaya!!  This topic is on the reasons the Chinese are going elsewhere. It is not about denials and diversions about Pattaya. 

This is what happens when you put all your eggs in one wok. Thailand thought the Chinese tourists where going to be the answer to their tourist numbers so laid out the red carpet forgetting about the rest of the world. The Thais did not like the dirty Chinese but expected them to return. 

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

What people expect here are not ridiculous comparisons to Singapore but rather valid comparisons to Vietnam and Bali. That in case you missed it can be seen above. And you are very wrong that Pattaya residents do not complain about Pattaya!!  This topic is on the reasons the Chinese are going elsewhere. 

Why Vietnam and Bali, one a communist controlled country, the other a Hindu and Muslim mix with some very stringent enforcement laws? With Thailand, you get neither that strong government control over all matters nor do you get strict enforcement, if that's what people want then they want to change the very nature of Thailand completely. What I see is some people in this thread wanting first world services in a third world country and at third world prices, and/or stringent control by government over all matters....that's not Thailand. 

11 minutes ago, morrobay said:

This topic is on the reasons the Chinese are going elsewhere. It is not about denials and diversions about Pattaya. 

You seem to want a particularly closely defined debate along your own lines, tough! If you want to understand if and why Chinese are not visiting Pattaya you will need to explore reasons beyond just Pattaya and beyond just Chinese tourists!!!

1 minute ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Perhaps, they came, they saw, they not like? Many other countries to visit.

But the fact remains that they do like because they are moving to live here in droves! I'm going to stick with the weakness of the Yuan affecting the desire of the mass Chinese tourist market to travel here.

28 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You seem to want a particularly closely defined debate along your own lines, tough! If you want to understand if and why Chinese are not visiting Pattaya you will need to explore reasons beyond just Pattaya and beyond just Chinese tourists!!!

What?  As I suggested above the scope of this topic should include first hand examples of decline in numbers and first hand reasons. IE. reports from hotels and businesses. As un-narrow the better. But let's keep it on Pattaya related cause and effect. 

Archived