Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya

webfact

4 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Your posts are becoming ever more mystifying. This thread is about Chinese tourists in PATTAYA. What do statistics about visitors to Phuket have to do with any of this discussion?

If you don't get the idea that total Chinese visitors to Thailand and the source of those tourists is a part of the Chinese visitors to Pattaya picture, I can't help you.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Or maybe some of these tourists are going to Phuket and other places in Thailand because they do not like Pattaya? Possibly even for some of the reasons I cited early on in this thread?

Or maybe, just maybe, low cost tour groups have stopped targeting Pattaya (which is generally low cost for tourists) because of the poor exchange rate, whereas overall numbers have remained quite high as a result of the increase in independent Chinese tourists to Phuket (and other locations) as confirmed by my earlier link. Of course, if you don't buy into that scenario you could always post a link to an independent source confirming that your list of ten negatives is the reason for the downturn in Chinese tourist numbers. And if none of those things suit you could always just bash Pattaya (and Thailand) because you had a shi**y holiday there!

BTW airport landing fees at Utapo are much less than at other airports in Thailand, owned by AOT,  because the airport is owned by the Royal Navy, that makes the airport a prime candidate for low-cost/budget carriers to Thailand.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/25431

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Tapao_International_Airport

I use to be a twice a year Thai tourist then it once a year now this year not at all. wh?.The weak Australian dollar against the baht many friends have left Thailand, Bangkok Hotels priced too high and general services gone. The once  famous buffet  for breakfast is fast disappearing. I get the feeling Middle-class tourists are no longer welcomed in Thailand with cheap hotels knocked down and replaced with 4-5 star priced hotels.

The constant changing of the retirement visa is making western people look at other options one been Vietnam.

My main reasons for going there was the Dental treatment which was one third the price of Australian now an Implant is just 50 % cheaper.  Crowns bridges are still very cheap and good standards and still a third  of Australian prices.

From I been told the sex tourist is also finding the prices a little over the top with 1000 baht bar fines and 2000-3000 baht for a short time.I am no expert on this matter and not sure if that is fact.I think those prices are for the go-go bars.

The Thai Government has been trying to change the image of the country but I am not sure the Chinese tourists are repeat customers like us  Western people.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:39 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Drowning them by the boatload could literally affect numbers????

That and the wholesale removal of the street culture otherwise known the world over as the the best street food in the world, rip off hotel and taxi prices, scammers on every corner, and as others here have correctly said wholesale slaughter on the roads by drunk and or tired drivers with zero knowledge of a relationship  between speed and stopping distances or speed and anything else for that matter.

just been taken to the airport by a wing commander in the Thai airforce doing a bit of sideline work, and I could have sworn he thought he was still in his jet, had to ask him to land it on the hard shoulder so I could get out and empty the sick bag.

The authorities are lying about the level of tourism last year you could not move on Soi 11 Sukhumvit now you could just about set up chairs and table in the middle of the road and eat lunch or dinner. Even the hotel I stayed in is normally choc full but now in high season it is less than half full.

Suvarnabhumi airport is no where near as busy as normal for entry into Thailand and now seems to be more a transit airport for travellers moving on to other countries,so yes the numbers coming to Thailand may be all that TAT are saying it is but they are NOT staying, instead they are moving on to countries that value them not killing them or ripping them off.

It is a sad statement of fact that Thailand has lost the gloss and the Matt is looking very threadbare.

36 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

That and the wholesale removal of the street culture otherwise known the world over as the the best street food in the world, rip off hotel and taxi prices, scammers on every corner, and as others here have correctly said wholesale slaughter on the roads by drunk and or tired drivers with zero knowledge of a relationship  between speed and stopping distances or speed and anything else for that matter.

just been taken to the airport by a wing commander in the Thai airforce doing a bit of sideline work, and I could have sworn he thought he was still in his jet, had to ask him to land it on the hard shoulder so I could get out and empty the sick bag.

The authorities are lying about the level of tourism last year you could not move on Soi 11 Sukhumvit now you could just about set up chairs and table in the middle of the road and eat lunch or dinner. Even the hotel I stayed in is normally choc full but now in high season it is less than half full.

Suvarnabhumi airport is no where near as busy as normal for entry into Thailand and now seems to be more a transit airport for travellers moving on to other countries,so yes the numbers coming to Thailand may be all that TAT are saying it is but they are NOT staying, instead they are moving on to countries that value them not killing them or ripping them off.

It is a sad statement of fact that Thailand has lost the gloss and the Matt is looking very threadbare.

The drop in the yen won't help.Does anyone know if TAT count all the people who cross the land borders and stay for a day? Also people on visa runs over a year that could add up,say I am in Thailand and visit Myanmar and Cambodia both just for a day,just curious.

If you want to understand the detail behind tourist arrivals you could do worse than look at the AOT atatistics, the make inetersting reading.

Data is only available for 2017, we'll have to wait a couple of months for 2018 data, some interesting points follow:

All major airports in Thailand are very near their maximum traffic levels.

There's no available data for U-Tapao because that's owned by The Navy and not by AOT.

U-Tapao landing costs are much lower than at AOT airports hence U-Tapao appeals to LCC's and budget carriers - aka, inexpensive package tour holidays.

Passenger growth figures for 2015, 2016 and 2017 at AOT airports was 21%, 11% and 9% respectively.

Phuket airport served flights from 53 countries, second only behind swampy.

Passenger arrivals at Phuket increased by 10%.

https://airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Annual-Airport-2017.pdf

From the above we can probably guess that the growth rate since 2015 was not sustaianble and that a much lower but still very respectable growth rate would become the norm. We can also guess that traffic patterns have shifted with Phuket becomming a major beneficiary of tourist arrivals, at the expense of Pattaya perhaps? A final assumption continues to be that falling Yuan rates hurts budget travellers most whereas FIT's (flexible independant travellers) visiting Phuket continue to increase. It makes sence to me at least that Phuket would benefit since it has easier access to nearby destinations such as the Andamans, Phangna and the nearby Malaysian islands of Lankawai etc.

Another interesting report here, this time the Nielson Report on Chinese oubound tourism, the key point for me was:

Thailand was the number 4 destination for Chinese tourists in 2017, Japan was the number 2; (anecodotal reports suggest Japan is the main beneficiary this year and is likely to be the number one destination).

https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/cn/docs/Outbound Chinese Tourism and Consumption Trends.pdf

For some information on the topic: Chinese declining tourism in Pattaya that is more tangible than the never ending questionable statistics that are on tap for those that do not reside in Pattaya and really not qualified to comment on subject. May I make a suggestion for those residents so inclined to make an effort to make an observation on a location / time in Pattaya where there is a very tangible decrease in numbers ,if any, of all types of Chinese visitors. For example 2nd road between soi4 and t21 is full of the so called FIT Chinese, especially the girls. But also must distinguish from the Koreans also in that area. Myself with nothing better to do am going to check out the beach boarding area approx in front of Hard Rock in prime times. And also the yellow cafeteria style restaurant on Naklua road near soi14/1 during prime times. This should help, along with some of the tangible replies above to bring some first hand and very needed facts into the picture. 

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

For some information on the topic: Chinese declining tourism in Pattaya that is more tangible than the never ending questionable statistics that are on tap for those that do not reside in Pattaya and really not qualified to comment on subject. May I make a suggestion for those residents so inclined to make an effort to make an observation on a location / time in Pattaya where there is a very tangible decrease in numbers ,if any, of all types of Chinese visitors. For example 2nd road between soi4 and t21 is full of the so called FIT Chinese, especially the girls. But also must distinguish from the Koreans also in that area. Myself with nothing better to do am going to check out the beach boarding area approx in front of Hard Rock in prime times. And also the yellow cafeteria style restaurant on Naklua road near soi14/1 during prime times. This should help, along with some of the tangible replies above to bring some first hand and very needed facts into the picture. 

You're too funny MB, unless we live in Pattaya we're not qualified to comment on the subject, that's absolutely hilarious.

As for the stats. being questionable: I tend to believe the Neilson data is likely to be mostly correct, I see little reason to doubt the airline volumes data also but to each there own. Whatever, if you can post more rleiable data form other sources that either confirm or deny the stats already posted we may go with that. But what is highly unikely to be accepted as conclsuive evidence is the casual observations of a few jaded expats wandering around Pattaya Klang, Third Road and Beach Road, reporting back all their anecdotal "facts" they think they see, in between ahem, frequent refreshment stops. Journal Entry 18 Nov. 14:00, FACT 968, location Beach Road opposite Hard Rock - saw three Chinese people strolling Southbound, last week I saw six, there's proof if ever there was any.:post-4641-1156694572:

Nha Trang, they have invaded in droves, Puhleeees Thailand, do what ever you need to do to take them back, they are like a bunch of flag waving Army Ants, touching every piece of fruit they see and not buying it, filling up restaurants yelling, pushing, coughing, spitting, snorting.  The Vietnamese even like the Russians over the Chinese, and other than the Govt, they didn't like the Russians at all. ????

1 hour ago, mserror said:

Maybe Thailand should consider making more money from me.

Every 90 days I must leave Thailand and spend money in another country.

This has me "scratching my head" every time i read about. If the Thai's really want us to spend in Thailand, why do they insist on sending visa holders to another country every 3 months with money that could have been spent in Thailand. I consider this short sighted madness.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:09 PM, Kim J said:

"Where have all the Chinese gone"?

Well I would say they have gone just the same way as every group of "quality tourists" that come to Pattaya. Once the reality of the place dawns and word gets around they will simply go anywhere else but here.

My other half was asking me similar questions a few years ago when the Russian families all but disappeared for a time. I simply put one question to her and she has never asked again, that question being: Would you like it and what would we do if we were on holiday here in the middle of Pattaya with our daughter?

Ultimately there is little here to interest or accommodate normal families, take away the bars etc, and what would there be to interest anyone? Here is a brief list of what Pattaya does have.

Endless prostitution.

Filthy sea and beaches.

Litter strewn streets.

Constant harassment.

Permanent traffic jams.

Having to walk on roads due to lack of pavements or pavements blocked with vehicles, retailers etc etc.

Nowhere to safely cross busy roads.

It is rife with crime.

It is rife with antisocial behaviour.

It is rife with corruption and dishonesty.

Constant harassment from police if you drive.

They now want to charge first world prices for third world quality and service.

And the whole world knows that Pattaya is the Sin City of Thailand.

14 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

How much per head on average do Chinese tourists spend in Thailand.

Average holiday duration = 8 days, average expenditure is top of the list = USD 178 per day.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Note: the data in the link is lifted from official sources but I couldn't be bothered to find the source.

28 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Nha Trang, they have invaded in droves, Puhleeees Thailand, do what ever you need to do to take them back, they are like a bunch of flag waving Army Ants, touching every piece of fruit they see and not buying it, filling up restaurants yelling, pushing, coughing, spitting, snorting.  The Vietnamese even like the Russians over the Chinese, and other than the Govt, they didn't like the Russians at all. ????

I understand what you are saying mate. Last year i was waiting for a Brisbane flight at swampy so wandered down to the cafeteria in L1. just sat down with my tucker when the place was 'rushed' by Chinese nearly knocking me off my seat. Couple of mins later one of them sat next to me with a Chook on his plate and proceeded to eat it, spitting the bones on the floor. He must have thought that he was home.

8 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I understand what you are saying mate. Last year i was waiting for a Brisbane flight at swampy so wandered down to the cafeteria in L1. just sat down with my tucker when the place was 'rushed' by Chinese nearly knocking me off my seat. Couple of mins later one of them sat next to me with a Chook on his plate and proceeded to eat it, spitting the bones on the floor. He must have thought that he was home.

You're very calm.

I wonder what he might think if you stood up and peed (the residue of your enjoyment) on the floor next to him (with perhaps a splash on his leg/pants)?

Jeeze, I have to say I would have lit up and gesticulated, wildly, to him to pick up his mess and tell him, in simple terms, this is Thailand NOT his country!

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

This has me "scratching my head" every time i read about. If the Thai's really want us to spend in Thailand, why do they insist on sending visa holders to another country every 3 months with money that could have been spent in Thailand. I consider this short sighted madness.

They need you to leave so you can enter again, 4 times a year you do a visa run that's great for their overall total of visitors.

8 minutes ago, adammike said:

They need you to leave so you can enter again, 4 times a year you do a visa run that's great for their overall total of visitors.

The overall total number of visitors is a pretty meaningless number really, ensuring the number increases every month is in itself futile. The extent to which visa runs impact on the overall total is going to be negligible, the point is though that they have always existed in the total so it doesn't really matter whether you leave them in or take them out.

4 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

And the quoted fact that 40% of tourist fatalities are Chinese nationals doesn't help either!

That's nonsense and nowhere near correct!

There have been 66 foreign deaths so far this year, since 2015 108 Brits. and 59 Chinese have died, road traffic accidents and drowning being the major causes, Phuket and Chonburi being the top locations.

https://www.farang-deaths.com/statistics/

Archived