BREAKING: Major incident aboard Koh Samui ferry

webfact

BREAKING: Major incident aboard Koh Samui ferry

A Fire broke out on a ferry shortly after it left Koh Samui this afternoon.

Local police reported that 3 people were injured, one crew member and two passengers were taken to hospital.

More info as we get it. 

Video: ศุภวิชญ์ กมลบุตร

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-16

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

It’d seem that no one was on board ???? I’m always uneasy if not nervous to travel in Thailand, whether by boat, bus or plane for that matter, I skipped the trains since I walk faster than them..

These people take no precautions whatsoever no knowledge of safety mesures and needless to say what about maintenance of their vessels or whatever else is supposed to carry  people, it’s always an accident waiting to happen anytime, lives don’t count much here ????????‍♂️

3 hours ago, Ramdas said:

It’d seem that no one was on board ???? I’m always uneasy if not nervous to travel in Thailand, whether by boat, bus or plane for that matter, I skipped the trains since I walk faster than them..

These people take no precautions whatsoever no knowledge of safety mesures and needless to say what about maintenance of their vessels or whatever else is supposed to carry  people, it’s always an accident waiting to happen anytime, lives don’t count much here ????????‍♂️

Looks like RAJA Ferry. If i took my dog on one of them he would bite me !    I always use SEATRAN they are always clean and well maintained.

7 hours ago, Ramdas said:

I have taken the small ferry from Pattaya to ko Larn once or twice.  Always was prepared to jump over board at a moment's notice.  Being an ex swimmer and lifeguard I wasn't too concerned.  I took the ferry from Phuket to Ao Nang.  Beautiful ride by some little islands and rock outcroppings.  It was a beautiful cloudless day.  I made sure I put my life jacket on and again stayed on the outside of the cabin areas and was fully prepared to jump out at a moment's notice.  Just a year later that Israeli girl I think died in a sister ferry ship somehow she was down below or in the bathroom or something like that? 

13 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I have taken the small ferry from Pattaya to ko Larn once or twice.  Always was prepared to jump over board at a moment's notice.  Being an ex swimmer and lifeguard I wasn't too concerned.  I took the ferry from Phuket to Ao Nang.  Beautiful ride by some little islands and rock outcroppings.  It was a beautiful cloudless day.  I made sure I put my life jacket on and again stayed on the outside of the cabin areas and was fully prepared to jump out at a moment's notice.  Just a year later that Israeli girl I think died in a sister ferry ship somehow she was down below or in the bathroom or something like that? 

This is a ferry that carry trucks and cars.

My ferry started sinking back in 1999 leaving Samui. We were not far out when it happened and they were able to bring it back in as it was taking on water.

Then they put all of us on true next oversold ferry and it literally looked like a refugee boat. 

I was young and naive back then.

It was only a matter of time. Here is a link to a letter I wrote to Samui Times on this very subject last year, The boats are a joke !

The Marine tourist police did reply to my letter, saying that they would improve standards .... but nothing changed.

http://www.samuitimes.com/letter-to-the-editor-raja-ferries-an-accident-waiting-to-happen/

Check out the photos in the letter !

7 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

It was only a matter of time. Here is a link to a letter I wrote to Samui Times on this very subject last year, The boats are a joke !

The Marine tourist police did reply to my letter, saying that they would improve standards .... but nothing changed.

http://www.samuitimes.com/letter-to-the-editor-raja-ferries-an-accident-waiting-to-happen/

It is now out in the open. On TVForum. Just watch Chan-o-cha spring into action with that 44 thingy. Unless of course he has already sorted it.

Great work Tidybeard!!!!!!

Several years ago my Wife returned from the mainland by Raj Ferry and I went to pick her up.  I couldn't believe my eyes when the Ferry came steaming in to view.  It must have been leaning by about 15 degrees or possibly more to one side.  As you can imagine, for it to be noticeable to the naked eye, it must have been quite a list!  I have asked her never, ever go by Raj again.  As others have said, their boats are an accident waiting to happen and it is the Marine Authority who should be brought to book, should an accident happen, for failing to ensure their boats are 100% sea worthy!

54 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

...and the captain's license was awarded to a former motorbike jockey, after he won a rowing regatta on a klong in Bangkok? Save Our Souls!

Investigation underway after three injured in Koh Samui ferry fire

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFh6mEKo0NkH9CBvLLtGOtBZtqwHq.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that an investigation was now underway following the fire in the engine room of the Raja Ferry that was on its way from Koh Samui to Don Sak yesterday.

One passenger and two crew were injured.

Water police headed by chief Lt Col Anurat Wimon boarded boat R8 after it had traveled around 30 minutes from the Lipa Noi port on the island. 

There were 23 passengers and nine crew aboard along with 33 vehicles. 

Two engineers were hurt as they successfully put out the fire. They were named as Anuwat Khunpetch, 31, and Anujit Kongkang, 35. 

A female passenger suffered the effects of smoke inhalation and was named as Chalinee Kham-or.

All three injured were taken to Koh Samui hospital.

The stricken ferry was towed back to port in Koh Samui by another ferry.

An investigation into the cause of the engine fire is now underway. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-17

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFh6mEKo0NkH9CBvPUJiMLYcAGv0V.jpg

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I too am an experienced swimmer and lifeguard and NO WAY am I going to let me or my family be packed into a cabin with a hundred other people all encumbered with life jackets, inadequate emergency exits and a complete lack of awareness of common sense and safety measures.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Well luckley they dident kill anybody and saved the vessel

I'm not sure it was lucky that they saved the vessel, as it will just be patched up and put back into service.. 

Would have been better for everyone concerned, except maybe Nemo, if it had sunk to the depths...

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Would have been better for everyone concerned, except maybe Nemo, if it had sunk to the depths...

I however presume Nemo and friends also would be happy, as the authorities here dump crashed aircraft bodies into the sea for the sake of marine life, that loves to inhabit outdated vessels that works as artificial reefs...????

plane-3.jpg

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:
2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

More cars than passangers?

Less arriving than leaving would not be a bad thing!

Unfortunately the ferry was leaving, according to the news, so less leaving – but look at the bright side of life, 10 cars less in the Ring Road traffic jam...????

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

10 cars without drivers ????

Yes, that thing with ghost-drivers is either a mystery to be solved – however, I sometime had experienced some of them at the Ring Road, or look-alike – or is just Thai-way-of-counting...????

Archived