Scary Experience in Samut Prakan - Ladyboys followed me to my room and demanded I give them money.

pjthefey

So I was chatting with a pretty Thai-Vietnamese girl online, when she said "Do you want to meet me?"  We started chatting because she claimed to be part Vietnamese originally from VN, and I'm planning to relocate to Vietnam.

I said, "Okay." We made a plan, and I didn't think anything was suspicious at first...  At least until it took an hour for someone that was allegedly in the neighborhood to show up. I thought, "But then there's Thainess... sometimes people are late... like... really really late after staring in the mirror for 45 minutes."

Finally I got the text that she'd arrived an hour and a half later.   I went downstairs to look for her, and was greeted by two ladyboys ... not quite the petite pretty girl from the picture.   I shook my head  and was like "This isn't right," and turned to go back to my room.  Instead I was followed, and they demanded I give them each 1000 baht. 

I told them no, and they were angry.  We were arguing in the hallway of my building making a lot of noise which was of course embarrassing for me.  Finally I told them I'd give em' 1400 (it was what I had on me) to just go and never let me hear from them again.  They didn't like it, but eventually stormed off.  I'm glad I didn't get beaten to death by a high heel shoe.... I've heard that happens. 

Now I'm worried about my safety in the coming week. They obviously know not only what building I live in, but what unit is mine.   Is this a thing?  Do I need to worry about these guys (both bigger than I am) coming back for some vengeance or additional money? 

In almost five years in Thailand, I've never had an experience like this before. As I said before, I'm already planning to leave Thailand for Vietnam due to it being harder for me to get SETVs lately, but this just sort of punctuated that decision. 

Ugh.. 

11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Is it on CCTV ?

I assume so.    No idea if they are actually recording or just monitoring.   I don't think they have audio.  There are, however cameras or what look like Cameras in the halls and elevators.    

Perhaps one of em noticed the camera and that's why they just snatched the money, said "OK" and left?   One of them abruptly said "Just go" after about 5 minutes when I thought this might drag on on for 20.

The security here is so useless... They sleep at the desk, and sit beside the door that needs a keycard with it either standing wide open,  or  just watch as people stand beside it and catch it before it closes when a resident enters. 

IN this case I went through the door, thought it was over, then at the last minute I was joined in the elevator by these 'guests.' 

Happened to me in Cm years ago...was a newbie and got a freelancer---she decided to revisit me and bring a LB with her....they refused to leave my room...I got a thai buddy to evict them..always good to have a wing.

No more of that for me....was a bit scary also....thats what the boom boom rooms are for....

Could it have been a mix up?

some other dude in your condo having ordered the two LB's. Then they think you were him. That certainly explains their behavior. Have you talked to the Vietnam lease girl since? She may have arrived later and was waiting for you... 

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

some other dude in your condo having ordered the two LB's. Then they think you were him. That certainly explains their behavior. Have you talked to the Vietnam lease girl since? She may have arrived later and was waiting for you... 

I blocked her and deleted her from my contact list as soon as they were gone.  

20 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Happened to me in Cm years ago...was a newbie and got a freelancer---she decided to revisit me and bring a LB with her....they refused to leave my room...I got a thai buddy to evict them..always good to have a wing.

No more of that for me....was a bit scary also....thats what the boom boom rooms are for....

Hopefully they don't get any ideas about returning.  I don't want any part of that. 

I was recently told by a friend that his friend was trying to date girls on a well known Thai dating site.

He saw a girl`s profile he liked, contacted her and after a few conversations on the Line app they agreed to meet at a Starbucks in Chiang Mai.

Then later the girl agreed to go back to the guy`s rented apartment where he lived in the town. She stayed the night with him. When he woke the following morning the girl had crept out and left. Could not contact her by phone and did not answer him on the Line.

3 days later the girl phoned him. She said; I`m going to give you my bank account details and if you don`t pay 1000 baht into my account I`m going to the police and say you raped me. But I guess that would only have been the start of many more demands for money.

Sometime afterwards I asked my friend what happened, but my friend said he had not heard from the guy since.

I`ve read about a couple similar cases like this on facebook. Seems like this is now becoming some kind of extortion scam.

Be careful guys, of who you get involved with online.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Grow some balls !!!

Why would u hand over cash to two people u don't know?

George, I do it all the time. At 7/11, at the Bar, at Immigration. The only person I give money and knowing her name is my favourite Hostess. Her family name is Suphnomigkphophna. From Monday to Friday she goes by "Nok". Saturday/Sunday she goes by "Meow". Control and oversight is everything in the Neon-Light-Jungle.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I was recently told by a friend that his friend was trying to date girls on a well known Thai dating site.

He saw a girl`s profile he liked, contacted her and after a few conversations on the Line app they agreed to meet at a Starbucks in Chiang Mai.

Then later the girl agreed to go back to the guy`s rented apartment where he lived in the town. She stayed the night with him. When he woke the following morning the girl had crept out and left. Could not contact her by phone and did not answer him on the Line.

3 days later the girl phoned him. She said; I`m going to give you my bank account details and if you don`t pay 1000 baht into my account I`m going to the police and say you raped me. But I guess that would only have been the start of many more demands for money.

Sometime afterwards I asked my friend what happened, but my friend said he had not heard from the guy since.

I`ve read about a couple similar cases like this on facebook. Seems like this is now becoming some kind of extortion scam.

Be careful guys, of who you get involved with online.

Yes, online dating can be tricky. To be on the safe-side, I only date Ladies from Nigeria having their brother already residing in Thailand.

Mistake on your part.

This scam is huge in Philippines with complicity of hotels. It's done with minors or wo/men posing as minors. Can even force entry into your room, sit on the bed, call corrupt cop. Extortion begins. One of dozens of scams.

Philippines is a nasty, desperate place. Only for rubes, paedos and the unloved.

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Grow some balls !!!

Why would u hand over cash to two people u don't know?

Hey, with Norwegian men getting high heeled shoes through the eyeball,  Indian guys getting thrown from 4th story balconies, British moms and daughters getting mugged/beaten by gangs of Ladyboys with their stilettos, safety first. 

1400 baht is worth not going to the hospital and messing up my pretty white face.  These guys both had 1-2 inches on me and I haven't been in a fist fight since I was in high school.

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Never invite strangers to visit you at home. That's what hotels are for. 

Live and learn.   

I guess I'd been living here so long without any problems I came to feel safe in my surroundings.   I'm in Samut Prakan so I'm not exactly in the heart of Bangkok, and this neighborhood is pretty quiet.  I was told in the chat that the girl lived just a few KM away, so... yeah.   Too trusting. 

I won't be doing this again.   

In terms of payment it seems in Thailand the accepted procedure is the following:

If you offer money and he/she/they take it than that's it. Deal done, nothing to follow up.

If you offer them i.e. 500B and they don't accept it that is the moment you have to start looking over your shoulder.

55 minutes ago, pjthefey said:

Hey, with Norwegian men getting high heeled shoes through the eyeball,  Indian guys getting thrown from 4th story balconies, British moms and daughters getting mugged/beaten by gangs of Ladyboys with their stilettos, safety first. 

1400 baht is worth not going to the hospital and messing up my pretty white face.  These guys both had 1-2 inches on me and I haven't been in a fist fight since I was in high school.

Whats the difference if i came to your door in farangland and demanded money ? For hypothetical sakes just say you met me on a meeting app and i turned up at your door not looking like justin beiber but a big fat hairy guy demanding you hand over $50 , would you do it ?

probaly not,so why do it where you are?

7 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Never invite strangers to visit you at home. That's what hotels are for. 

These women can still claim rape.

There was a case recently when a guy got chatting to a Thai girl on facebook. Similar thing, they dated and she spent the night in a hotel with him. A couple of days later she sent him demands for money or else she would go to the police saying he raped her at the hotel.

Best way is to not rush into any dates with these women. Keep chat logs and make intentions clear prior to taking these women to homes or rooms. If guys are only interested in one night stands then check the girls make this clear they consent on their profiles or correspondences.

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Whats the difference if i came to your door in farangland and demanded money ? For hypothetical sakes just say you met me on a meeting app and i turned up at your door not looking like justin beiber but a big fat hairy guy demanding you hand over $50 , would you do it ?

probaly not,so why do it where you are?

In civilized countries there is something called police. And they are mostly honest and helpful. And criminals try to avoid the police.

Now, thinking about Thailand, ...

I also wouldn't like to pay. And it's easy to say: I wouldn't have paid. But sometime here in the LOS things are different and sometime the unorthodox solutions are the best.

And avoiding hurtful trouble is always a good idea.

Better than being visited by two Nigerian princesses and their muscle demanding compensation for chatting with their Vietnamese 'client' who would need 100,000 THB in advance in order to make arrangements for her visit. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, pjthefey said:

I assume so.    No idea if they are actually recording or just monitoring.   I don't think they have audio.  There are, however cameras or what look like Cameras in the halls and elevators.    

Perhaps one of em noticed the camera and that's why they just snatched the money, said "OK" and left?   One of them abruptly said "Just go" after about 5 minutes when I thought this might drag on on for 20.

The security here is so useless... They sleep at the desk, and sit beside the door that needs a keycard with it either standing wide open,  or  just watch as people stand beside it and catch it before it closes when a resident enters. 

IN this case I went through the door, thought it was over, then at the last minute I was joined in the elevator by these 'guests.' 

Not very smart letting them follow you to your room!

You were prepared to be extorted. So you were LOL. l would l gave them 0

But l can't blame you. You may be a soft man. That's why they targeted you online. Contact the police immediately !

Tell them they threatened to stab you. I would have waited until the first strike and bashed both. But that's me. 

This is a scam targeting men online. Police

14 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

No mix up lol

16 minutes ago, chippendale said:

You meekly surrendered 1,400 Baht to them. They have now identified you as a wimp and an easy target. Better move to a different neighbourhood, as you're unwilling to fight for yourself, and they will come back to visit you for more easy money.

Sorry, I always have to laugh about people who insist they have to fight.

Are you good enough to fight two Thai men who probably know Thai boxing?

Are you brutal enough?

Are you really willing to risk damaged bones and lose teeth and dirty and destroyed clothes only to prove that you are the man and you can do it?

I wonder how many people in hospital would in the hindsight think they should have paid 1,400B to avoid all that.

Archived