Living in a village with your partner

georgegeorgia

Is there any gay farangs living in a small village with their partners ?

I never have seen it but I suppose their are gay thai farang gay couples out there living on a farm or in a village life.

How does the surrounding community accept you ?

i know most gay couples choose Pattaya to live though .

would you like to one day live in a rural village or farm with your partner?

Farm life would be ok if you had tons of acres .

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any gay farangs living in a small village with their partners ?

I never have seen it but I suppose their are gay thai farang gay couples out there living on a farm or in a village life.

How does the surrounding community accept you ?

i know most gay couples choose Pattaya to live though .

would you like to one day live in a rural village or farm with your partner?

Farm life would be ok if you had tons of acres .

I fit your inquiry 100% except the tons of acres. It helps if your partner grew up in the village and has tons of relatives and friends, and is well-liked. Complete acceptance, high level of comfort, and easy socializing with everyone here.

I think it also helps that we are both straight acting/appearing – so no one feels uncomfortable about any camp-type behavior. Virtually all our friends are straight singles and couples. We eat out often with friends here and are always invited to birthdays, weddings, housewarmings, local celebrations, monk’s initiations, etc.

I’m pretty fluent in Thai and I never hear any disparaging comments, first-, second-, or third-hand. Maybe there’s a few fourth hand, jokes/comments floating around out there but none of it would really bother me.

I love the small-town life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have been acquainted with two gay couples living in villages ; they seemed to have no problem at all . One couple has a small restaurant that served good food , not Isaan .  The other couple has a shop that specializes in Farang foods . I'm not sure about the former , but the Thai boyfriend of the latter is of the village where they live .  I have been living in a rural Isaan village for 14 years , there are gays and ladyboys here and sexual orientation does not seem to be a problem , it is a sliding scale in Thailand .  A farm of tons of acres is generally too big .  Farming is generally not hugely profitable , it is difficult to find farm workers , vegetation grows at an alarming rate , for two people farming it is extremely hard work . For a foreigner coming to live in Thailand I recommend not to bring too much capital to Thailand , leave it safe in your country .  Any property you buy will be in the name of your Thai partner and you will risk losing it all .  

One farang  gay couple in my wife's village.  Everyone knows, nobody cares, they just blend in.  Thais are far more accepting of different ways of living and different relationships than in many communities, especially if it involves farangs, who in their eyes are all as mad as a box of frogs anyway and if you chose to farm,  then they would definitely write you off as crazy.   

No problem in central and northern Provinces. They are many LGBT in every village and every few km or meters. So much better then being in the city quality of life is better and don’t have to spend as much money as in the big city. Remeber the family will watch your every move. 

Save your money for quality trips. Toscano recommends leaving your money back in your country. If I would  of taken his advice a few years ago I would of been down 17 baht on every pound. Down over a million baht !

On 12/13/2018 at 2:42 PM, Fookhaht said:

I fit your inquiry 100% except the tons of acres. It helps if your partner grew up in the village and has tons of relatives and friends, and is well-liked. Complete acceptance, high level of comfort, and easy socializing with everyone here.

I think it also helps that we are both straight acting/appearing – so no one feels uncomfortable about any camp-type behavior. Virtually all our friends are straight singles and couples. We eat out often with friends here and are always invited to birthdays, weddings, housewarmings, local celebrations, monk’s initiations, etc.

I’m pretty fluent in Thai and I never hear any disparaging comments, first-, second-, or third-hand. Maybe there’s a few fourth hand, jokes/comments floating around out there but none of it would really bother me.

I love the small-town life.

Entirely agree. Exactly fits my experience - from first introductions to family on rural farm in south Surin June 2012, marriage ceremony at farm with half the village present June 2013, then - after a year in Bangkok at The Trendy & a year back in Canberra - 1 year living at farm in 2016 as we built our house in Prasat Surin outskirts, then removal to Prasat March 2017 with daily travel back & forth to farm ... Simply not an issue here.

From my limited experience in a moo bahn in Surin, you will be judged more on your behavior than your sexual preference. People will look down more on a straight farang perceived as disrespecting their neighbors, than a gay couple who are perceived as good neighbors. With gays, ladyboys, tomboys, giks and mai nois everywhere, there is little time to judge everyone. Note that there will be plenty of "talk", but not "judgement", just curiosity and gossip.

4 hours ago, ArickChaiyaphum said:

Toscano recommends leaving your money back in your country. If I would  of taken his advice a few years ago I would of been down 17 baht on every pound. Down over a million baht !

This is straight up foreign exchange speculation. Had their been no Brexit, it is possible the pound could be stronger than before. Thus, a mix of funds here and at home is advisable. The home funds primarily for security and back up. Local funds to remove exchange exposure and provide flexibility and convenience.

Archived