Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy's claim is bogus but it raises an interesting point.

In my opinion people should be subject to rules like hand luggage. Maximum weight and width. If you're over that you must upgrade to business. Otherwise there are safety and comfort issues for other passengers. 

I am not convinced that this kg focus is very relevant re cost/fuel

I would suggest that carrying a 20 kg overweight ain't costly for the airline

Same same another 20 kg luggage

here is an example

4 years and a bit ago I traveled OSL-BKK biz with QA

20 kg overweight luggage - had to pay 7000 money (not cheap)

as I had plenty more I wanted to shift to LoS I contacted 

a freight forwarder.

OSL-BKK 2 large suitcases, 30 kg each, 2500 money

the transport is by scheduled pax flights, Thai or QA for example (no cargo plane)

If I deliver before lunch, the suitcases will arrive BKK next morning (maybe same flight as me?)

1) 20 kg and 7000 money

2) 60 kg and 2500 money

and re 2) freight forwarder makes a profit and airline makes a profit

overweight payments are mostly rip-offs

A net search shows that around 2009 - 2010 there were many airlines talking about requiring overweight passengers to purchase 2 seats.

I thought it had been implemented, at least with some US airlines, but maybe not.

Here's a 2 year old article giving policies for different airlines:

"What to do if You — or the Person Next to You — is a Passenger of Size on the Plane"

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/passengers-of-size-flight-attendant-insider/

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet another reason to never fly economy again. 

Yeah , I wouldn't guarantee it in Business these days either , once that area used to be nice and quite now with the new aged wealthy, screaming ankle bitters can be heard , you pay a high price, you expect quite.

I wholeheartedly disagree with penalizing a large frame person for something they cannot control. Discrimination based on size is still discrimination. It’s not my fault that I’m 6’5” tall, and have a large frame. That’s genetics. Even when I was single & a gym rat, and down to 7% body fat, I was still 275 pounds. Older and married at age 46, that’s not something I can maintain anymore, so I hover between 315-340, based on my activity and lack of time/availability to work out.

I can still get into a standard airline seat & attach the belt without requiring an extension, but it’s never comfortable for me...especially my long legs. It’s downright tortuous sometimes, especially after having several knee surgeries. What helps me is having a petite Chinese wife, so that there’s always enough room when we sit together, although my poor knees suffer.

For big & tall guys like me: Most airlines will work with you to stick you into an exit row or a front row if you ask nicely & well enough in advance. 

924CBDC0-12E8-4A1B-B4D9-C47E0FD64276.jpeg

21 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I am not convinced that this kg focus is very relevant re cost/fuel

I would suggest that carrying a 20 kg overweight ain't costly for the airline

Same same another 20 kg luggage

here is an example

4 years and a bit ago I traveled OSL-BKK biz with QA

20 kg overweight luggage - had to pay 7000 money (not cheap)

as I had plenty more I wanted to shift to LoS I contacted 

a freight forwarder.

OSL-BKK 2 large suitcases, 30 kg each, 2500 money

the transport is by scheduled pax flights, Thai or QA for example (no cargo plane)

If I deliver before lunch, the suitcases will arrive BKK next morning (maybe same flight as me?)

1) 20 kg and 7000 money

2) 60 kg and 2500 money

and re 2) freight forwarder makes a profit and airline makes a profit

overweight payments are mostly rip-offs

You can in fact do your own freight (way cheaper the hold baggage, which is a total scam) theres no mystery, the paperwork is straightforward. I moved two pallets to Singapore from Sydney, and the cost was less than the truck from the Sydney border to the airport! I then moved the pallets a few months later from Singapore to Scotland, and it was even easier and cheaper to do in Singapore, the truck was actually just about double a taxi ride, as it should be. I actually complained to the Aussie truck company after the fact, and got a small discount, but the point is, freight forwarding is not rocket science, and they deal with entrepreneurs doing one off airlifts all the time.

20 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Yeah , I wouldn't guarantee it in Business these days either , once that area used to be nice and quite now with the new aged wealthy, screaming ankle bitters can be heard , you pay a high price, you expect quite.

Noise cancelling headsets.

But I agree that business should be childfree, however, whose going to be the person to tell an ultra entitled rich guy his kid should be in steerage? Maybe they should insist as policy for the comfort of all the fastidious, and make the kid sit down the very back with a pre-paid air-nanny? Similar situation for underage kids flying alone (unaccompanied minors).

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Mr Prosser said he would be injured if forced to sit next the obese passenger.

So he claims crew ignored him, now its payback time he thinks, i will show them.

Made up injuries, makes up stories thinking theres money to be made out of this.... Fraudster.

Obese people should not invade the space of others. You have no right to claim he is a fraudster, just because you believe so ...its 'trumpish' and fake.

Just now, meinphuket said:

Obese people should not invade the space of others. You have no right to claim he is a fraudster, just because you believe so ...its 'trumpish' and fake.

He is just the same as all those people putting in fake insurance claims...... Fraudsters.

26 minutes ago, Matt K said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with penalizing a large frame person for something they cannot control. Discrimination based on size is still discrimination. It’s not my fault that I’m 6’5” tall, and have a large frame. That’s genetics. Even when I was single & a gym rat, and down to 7% body fat, I was still 275 pounds. Older and married at age 46, that’s not something I can maintain anymore, so I hover between 315-340, based on my activity and lack of time/availability to work out.

I can still get into a standard airline seat & attach the belt without requiring an extension, but it’s never comfortable for me...especially my long legs. It’s downright tortuous sometimes, especially after having several knee surgeries. What helps me is having a petite Chinese wife, so that there’s always enough room when we sit together, although my poor knees suffer.

For big & tall guys like me: Most airlines will work with you to stick you into an exit row or a front row if you ask nicely & well enough in advance. 

Others should not be made to suffer for your size.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet another reason to never fly economy again. 

Agreed. Also another reason to never fly BA again! Dreadful indifferent service, uncomfortable seats - especially those ridiculous “ying-yang” seats in Business - Ill mannered check-in staff. 

Try to avoid 

I was sat between two big blokes in the middle seats, it was a nightmare, im glad it was only the last leg of the flight that this happened to me.

I don't see how this problem is going to be fixed, they would have to remodel the plane lay out for people of a bigger size. and I cant see that happening.

1 minute ago, jimmjam said:

I was sat between two big blokes in the middle seats, it was a nightmare, im glad it was only the last leg of the flight that this happened to me.

I don't see how this problem is going to be fixed, they would have to remodel the plane lay out for people of a bigger size. and I cant see that happening.

Big people should pay for two seats or buy themselves a premium, business or first class ticket! Pay for waight not for seat ????

1 minute ago, Matt K said:

I should not be made to suffer due to others lack of size either. Fair is fair.

How do healthy people a fraction of your bulk make you suffer? They at least have the common decency of exercising and controlling their food intake. There are no excuses at all for being a 300 pound ground sloth. I'm 6'5" and can easily maintain a healthy 210 pound weight, out of courtesy to my fellow passengers.

Reminds me of those happy days before code-sharing when a passenger often got a whole row to him- or herself. Quite common on BA long-haul routes. Hostesses were understandably far friendlier than they are today and flying was tolerable. Now it's an ordeal.

Being trapped next to a loud obnoxious drunk for 12 hours is my biggest fear. I don't care how much he weighs.

11 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If a very large person travels "cattle class" they need to buy 2 seats.

In the Pacific Islands this became a problem so now you buy your seat by the kilo.

Great idea & as weight is the paramount enemy of flight it is fair

If you waight less than average, they should give you cheaper tickets, since they can stuff more in as a carrier. 

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

In a seance I agree with you...

But obesity could be a hereditary or a medical problem, would not making them pay for two seat be discrimination?

And then look at the budget airlines, set the goal posts so low that most passengers will have to fork out more for being in their opinion "fat".

So what your saying is that an obese person standing in my supermarket queue pay the same as myself, for his/her problems, for their weekly shopping as I do????

Edit: Assuming a one on one food requirement.

"I regularly walked down the aisle and Mr. Prosser was not sat in an unnatural position for an economy seat," Mr McLindon.

"When Mr. Prosser left the aircraft, I watched him walk down the jetty in a perfectly normal manner and showed no signs of injury."

Why? Did this flight attendant just have a hunch?(pardon the pun) Or was he already aware that Mr Prosser had problems?...

33 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If a very large person travels "cattle class" they need to buy 2 seats.

In the Pacific Islands this became a problem so now you buy your seat by the kilo.

Great idea & as weight is the paramount enemy of flight it is fair

Harsh but fair, otherwise let obese people sit next to each other.

On a typical long haul flight, fuel might be around 15-20% of the total operating cost, with each kg of carried weight (i.e. Passengers, luggage & any cargo) requiring around 4-5kg of fuel (eg. a B777-300 is c. 155te empty, 140te fuel, 30 te PAX/etc, giving a MTOW around 325 te.)

On a per passenger basis, the fuel represents around 30% of the cost of an economy ticket, 8% of a business class, and just 4% of a first class ticket.

These factors are different since a 1st/business ticket are paying more for their additional "space".

With Jet fuel around $4-500/te, overweight PAX/luggage should be charged around $2-3 per extra kg, (less for a short haul).  Typically airlines charge much more than this.

Of course, it's not as simple as this. At check-in staff often "assign" passengers into broad weight categories (unbeknown to passengers of course), which combined with luggage gives a total weight. The fuel load is often adjusted accordingly (there's no sense in loading more fuel than required, since it uses even more fuel to carry the extra. Contingency fuel included). Also, any spare carrying capacity is sometimes made up with cargo that can be flexible in its timing.  By accurately weighing all PAX & luggage, airlines would be better able to minimize fuel requirement or maximize additional cargo, and hence keep ticket prices to a minimum.

Archived