Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

1 hour ago, transam said:

Folk over a certain weight should be told they must book business class..

There should be stand on scales at check-in...If found told porkies then to be told to go get a boat...

I think that is pretty unfair and almost rude of you sir, and I am not even close to being fat. I take a lot of flights and on long hauls the price of 2 economy seats is usually about 60% cheaper than one business class seat and actually wider. So why can’t the obese have to buy 2 economy tics instead? They have to sit in one of the seats ( with the seat belt extension provided by the airline) for take off and landing , then they can SPREAD out after take off with their huge wide seat.  Of course during their grazing period they will ALWAYS get 2 full meals ( because they paid for 2 seats) they can get 2 x requests for Coke or other sugar drinks , 2 x bread etc. Two blankets to cover the blubber and 2 pillows for their fat head.  

Since I am being very kind and concerned regarding this hot topic I even have a CHEAPER solution for the lard filled. The airlines can set up a link on their websites used during bookings it can be called something catchy like “fattiesunite” or “letsbuttbunstogether” or something else cute. When they go there they can each book 1.5 seats each for a total of 3 seats!  Now they can still spread out after takeoff into HALF the other seat and now save at least 80% off Business class.  Ok I know there will be some spats and downright fights over who gets the extra meal but that is something they can split down the middle or arm wrestle over or some other civil way. ????

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the plane is only half full? Should it be a two seat option only if plane is full? Or ?

It should be mandatory to have an option to require two seats if necessery only if the plane was full. I see some airlines getting better to have seat options available now, and you can pay for more space. Not a double price, but reasonable prices. However next to emergency  exit,,,,,

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think that is pretty unfair and almost rude of you sir, and I am not even close to being fat. I take a lot of flights and on long hauls the price of 2 economy seats is usually about 60% cheaper than one business class seat and actually wider. So why can’t the obese have to buy 2 economy tics instead? They have to sit in one of the seats ( with the seat belt extension provided by the airline) for take off and landing , then they can SPREAD out after take off with their huge wide seat.  Of course during their grazing period they will ALWAYS get 2 full meals ( because they paid for 2 seats) they can get 2 x requests for Coke or other sugar drinks , 2 x bread etc. Two blankets to cover the blubber and 2 pillows for their fat head.  

Since I am being very kind and concerned regarding this hot topic I even have a CHEAPER solution for the lard filled. The airlines can set up a link on their websites used during bookings it can be called something catchy like “fattiesunite” or “letsbuttbunstogether” or something else cute. When they go there they can each book 1.5 seats each for a total of 3 seats!  Now they can still spread out after takeoff into HALF the other seat and now save at least 80% off Business class.  Ok I know there will be some spats and downright fights over who gets the extra meal but that is something they can split down the middle or arm wrestle over or some other civil way. ????

And they can eat twice as much too...????

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

May be they should charge people based on weight as some airlines already do ! (apparently), they could allocate seating/position the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/04/03/airline-charges-for-weight-of-bags-and-humans/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5534498f9e98

I've been saying this for years.

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet another reason to never fly economy again. 

You can keep flying economy, you have paid for your seat, so nobody has the right to encroach on it. If it was me, I would warn him that he finds a seat in business class, or he will have the most uncomfortable flight ever.

It would serve him right as he should have paid business class in the first place. being his size and weight he should have known that he would be forcing another passenger in to some discomfort.

In saying that, it is my opinion that the other passenger was not being truthful by saying he had suffered any injuries. I do think however, that the airline was at fault by letting a guy that size and weight sit in economy, they should have insisted he went business class.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

In a seance I agree with you...

But obesity could be a hereditary or a medical problem, would not making them pay for two seat be discrimination?

And then look at the budget airlines, set the goal posts so low that most passengers will have to fork out more for being in their opinion "fat".

No its not going to be hereditary or medical.  Might have hereditary pre disposition to get fat, but if diet is normal then that won't happen.  No idea what health problem would make some really huge if they still ate normal calories intake or less....

They should just make the security X ray scanner machines have narrow bars to squeeze through to get through.  Anyone who can not get through is not allowed on the plane.  That would give them motivation to re think their diet and lifestyle.

Or, they could have flights for fat people only, where they got weighed and charged per kilo of body weight.  

I flew AirAsia KL to Gold Coast. Everything was looking good. The plane had filled up except for an empty isle seat next to me. Looked  like I was in luck and was going to have an empty seat next to me. But I was counting my chickens before they hatched. A last minute straggler approached the empty seat. My premature happiness turned to sorrow. The biggest man on the plane, who looked like a Russian ultra heaveyweight weightlifter  squeezed into the vacant seat next to me. He didn't speak or look at me for the whole overnight journey. And I had to lean sideways to my right for the entire flight. It was impossible for me to sit straight. 

I broke my back a few months ago. I pray that my next seating companion is able to be physically contained in their own seat. It would be impossible for me to endure a flight with a seating companion like the ultra huge Rusky again.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You can keep flying economy, you have paid for your seat, so nobody has the right to encroach on it. If it was me, I would warn him that he finds a seat in business class, or he will have the most uncomfortable flight ever.

It would serve him right as he should have paid business class in the first place. being his size and weight he should have known that he would be forcing another passenger in to some discomfort.

In saying that, it is my opinion that the other passenger was not being truthful by saying he had suffered any injuries. I do think however, that the airline was at fault by letting a guy that size and weight sit in economy, they should have insisted he went business class.

Think I'll continue with my current strategy of paying for business class.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

But obesity could be a hereditary or a medical problem, would not making them pay for two seat be discrimination?

And then look at the budget airlines, set the goal posts so low that most passengers will have to fork out more for being in their opinion "fat".

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/causes/

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Mr Prosser said he would be injured if forced to sit next the obese passenger.

So he claims crew ignored him, now its payback time he thinks, i will show them.

Made up injuries, makes up stories thinking theres money to be made out of this.... Fraudster.

How do you know he hasn't been in his back/legs/neck or whatever...i'm sure he had an unpleasant flight so he should get compensated. He had the right for a whole seat which he didn't get.

This also happened to me once. A  huge guy spilling over into my seat was forcing my body up against a really gorgeous looking Thai girl sat on my other side. My leg and arm was rubbing against hers, and i was so close i had a good view down her top. I could feel the warmth of her body and the scent of her perfume and im thinking to myself 'please, please, please dont get an erection now'. But a few minutes later she did....

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

I don't believe with the amount of obese people in the western world that it is a heredity or medical problem....it is an eating problem...

5 hours ago, anterian said:

Spinal problems often manifest the next day, particularly when caused by an imposed posture. Once flying Air France I was seated between two very large Dutchmen, the cabin crew let me sit in the galley.  

Was that because they were large or because they were Dutch?

31 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Quite simply it should be entirely down to the individual when booking their flight. If someone chooses to book a seat they are too large for, whether the plane is at half or full capacity should make no difference. At time of boarding should additional seating be required and is available, the additional costs can be paid just as they are for excess baggage, if there is no availability they should be denied boarding without refund.

Airlines have tried to charge extra for overweight passengers but it caused too much of a headache. However I am inclined to agree with you on the wider seats - plus sized passengers should use Economy Plus (if not Business class). The way they could present it is to state regular seats are not rated for passengers over 100Kg.

5 hours ago, Small Joke said:

And what I know from experience, and 'mr. tiny tears' own admission, is that he was whining like a Pratt & Whitney engine from the start.

So he would have been watched (and likely remembered) by the Manager, as the crew, believe it or not, have a duty of care, they are there for your safety, comfort -within reason- and health, at all times, not just in emergencies. 

Should obese people have to buy two seats or and upgrade? Yes, they should, but, the practicalities of that with a fully booked aircraft and them 'failing the test' at check in, are unworkable.

Should airlines be more generous with seats? Perhaps, but remember this; the guys up the front actually SUBSIDISE the cheapo economy seats.

We're all getting, even down the back, a pretty miraculous slingshot across the world, and yet everyone wants it for the price of a night in a two star short-time hotel. Given everything that goes into your flight, its just not realistic.

To the fantasy punters I say this: Pay up, or shut up.

IMHO If a very obese person arrives at check-in and it's obvious to the check-in staff this person is simply too large for a standard seat and if the person does squeeze in it will make problems for other paying customers, and especially if it's a long flight then the airline should quickly say we need to check what options are available, and move the person to a spot where 2 seats are available, or upgrade the person to a wider seat or deny boarding rather than inconvenience a normal person who has paid full fare.

It seems to me the obese person who knows there's likely to be a problem should do the right thing and contact the airline and explain well before the flight.

upgrade the per 

Maybe airlines should have specific sections for the obese, people with screaming babies that want to crawl around, single guys that want to hit on women passengers and maybe an alcoholics section too. It's economy cattle class man...deal with it or upgrade.

6 hours ago, Katia said:

Does that mean it would cost me less if I weigh less than you do?  Because I have a feeling it would be "overweight costs more, thin doesn't get you a discount."  I mean, if we're going to get this nitpicky, I should at least get extra weight for my carry-on or something until I meet the weight of the "average" person they'd probably be charging me for...

In that case what discount do you suggest we should receive for our young daughter who only weighs 13.5 kilos.

Many airlines charge full fare for children which considering they take up a seat is probably fair enough.( a requirement by the airline once they are two years old)

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Truly, who cares about PC "discrimination"?.......especially when it encroaches, literally, upon ones' own comfort and welfare.

99.99% of obesity is self-inflicted, entirely reversible, and lethal if not sorted.

I have always wondered whether the real reason first class and business class air travel exist at all, given that it no longer takes weeks or months to travel to the antipodes, etc., that quite simply if all the seats were high density cattle-class, the 'plane would be too bloody heavy to take off, or too far out of Centre of Gravity to be safe!

I am ancient enough to remember a commercial flight in a DC3, where the passengers were asked to move seats before take off,  to adjust the CofG.

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

On a typical long haul flight, fuel might be around 15-20% of the total operating cost, with each kg of carried weight (i.e. Passengers, luggage & any cargo) requiring around 4-5kg of fuel (eg. a B777-300 is c. 155te empty, 140te fuel, 30 te PAX/etc, giving a MTOW around 325 te.)

On a per passenger basis, the fuel represents around 30% of the cost of an economy ticket, 8% of a business class, and just 4% of a first class ticket.

These factors are different since a 1st/business ticket are paying more for their additional "space".

With Jet fuel around $4-500/te, overweight PAX/luggage should be charged around $2-3 per extra kg, (less for a short haul).  Typically airlines charge much more than this.

Of course, it's not as simple as this. At check-in staff often "assign" passengers into broad weight categories (unbeknown to passengers of course), which combined with luggage gives a total weight. The fuel load is often adjusted accordingly (there's no sense in loading more fuel than required, since it uses even more fuel to carry the extra. Contingency fuel included). Also, any spare carrying capacity is sometimes made up with cargo that can be flexible in its timing.  By accurately weighing all PAX & luggage, airlines would be better able to minimize fuel requirement or maximize additional cargo, and hence keep ticket prices to a minimum.

You said at checkin staff assign passengers into weight categories.  I can understand that.

I'm just curious, what happens with all this self-checkin and e-boarding passes ?  Like on KLM you even tag your own luggage at spots.  Easyjet and others can just self-checkin.
Just curious mate if you or anyone had info on that.  Maybe they assign an average weight per person in that case ?

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Why can't the aircraft have 1 or 2 rows of bigger seats  so anyone who wants a little more space or is Big(info must be provided when booking ticket) for a little extra money. than Happy days.????

Yes, and if unoccupied just before boarding offer these seats to existing seated passengers for a small additional fee. Win-win.

Firstly charge passengers for their total weight....I.e. body and luggage.

Also if they are too wide for their seats, make them sit in wider seats and charge accordingly for the space.

The trouble is that bacteria get trapped in folds of skin on overweight people and on ling flights they begin to smell as well as their bulk making it uncomfortable for other passengers.

Failing that, let them walk....should shed a few pounds that way.

Archived