Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Mr Prosser said he would be injured if forced to sit next the obese passenger.

So he claims crew ignored him, now its payback time he thinks, i will show them.

Made up injuries, makes up stories thinking theres money to be made out of this.... Fraudster.

What do you know?

He's a friend of mine and this is a genuine complaint. He was in pain for a long time after.

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

May be they should charge people based on weight as some airlines already do ! (apparently), they could allocate seating/position the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/04/03/airline-charges-for-weight-of-bags-and-humans/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5534498f9e98

I w3as going to same the same  great idea 

I was travelling in a Gulf Air flight to Bangkok when I heard a bit of a commotion behind me 

there was a woman with a Obese guy sitting next to her  over flowing in to her seat she asked the flight attendant  to sort it out she had paid for her full seat

In the end they moved the guy to Business class replacing him with a guy from there

Have to agree with the woman you pay for a seat  all of it

on the return flight 3 weeks later who comes waddling down the aisle

luckily he passed me by so no doubt some one else had the pleasure of his company  Not  

The airlines should instigate a maximum size / weight ruling per seat, and if a passenger exceeds that they should be required to pay for and occupy 2 or more seats. It is not acceptable to disadvantage and encroach on the space of adjacent passengers who have paid the fare for their seat also.

Or perhaps they should provide special seats for morbidly obese passengers at a premium price.

Introduce a sizing box similar to that for hand luggage and weighing scales.

On one occasion I tried to ask for my excess baggage to be waived on the basis of my wife's small stature compared to other passengers who were clearly obese, suffice to say it didn't wash. 555

When I go shopping in the likes of Home Pro I always ask what the weight capacity is before I try out any chairs, as often they are limited to 80kg. 

8 hours ago, Katia said:

Does that mean it would cost me less if I weigh less than you do?  Because I have a feeling it would be "overweight costs more, thin doesn't get you a discount."  I mean, if we're going to get this nitpicky, I should at least get extra weight for my carry-on or something until I meet the weight of the "average" person they'd probably be charging me for...

As you know it doesn't work like that. If you feel cheated, give a thought to all those families who have to pay full fare for a child once it reaches 2 years old. The rule is you occupy a seat you pay for it.

As for carry on luggage, it was recently explained to me that the 7kg. weight limit is for health and safety of the cabin crew who may be required to assist in handling said luggage.

5 hours ago, bdenner said:

So what your saying is that an obese person standing in my supermarket queue pay the same as myself, for his/her problems, for their weekly shopping as I do????

Edit: Assuming a one on one food requirement.

No he would probably order a takeaway online...

Myself I am a 165 kiloes man.   I am always trying not to be a nuisance to other passengers on my flights.  I fly Qatar Airways from Germany to Thailand for 4 times a year. I always check my seating online 24 hours before boarding, and change my seat so there will be no neighbour next to me.  9 flights out of ten there is no neighbour next to me in my preferred aisle seat (lucky them!)

I do not believe this guy that the flight was full to the brim with no more vacant seats to be had. No flight can be THAT full.  And even if it is, the flight attendants could have changed him onto an aisle seat. 

I think this guy is trying to chase an insurance case

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

Big people should pay for two seats or buy themselves a premium, business or first class ticket! Pay for waight not for seat ????

Or just refuse this class altogether - 

Might encourage these fat <deleted> to shed more than a few kilos - change of diet, gluttony/over consumption habits, and fitness might help. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

America is first as always, and show what to do ????

Why do I have a visual of some big NFL size dude smearing Crisco on himself and just jamming himself past the armrests to save a buck. Hey man, you really play DT for the Eagles? Why aren't you in first class then?????????????

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet another reason to never fly economy again. 

On Nov 14, I flew business class on an HX A350 from Hong Kong to San Francisco. The flight was delayed one hour because the seat belt/shoulder harness was not extendable enough to accomodate an extremely large man. Suited staffers and technicians were summoned and we eventually departed; unsure of what arrangement was taken to comply with safety rules.

The passenger was taken aboard the aircraft on a heavy duty, four-wheeled chair. The chair and passenger was being manouvered backward down the slopping jetway, and as the jetway curved slightly, one of the rubber chair wheels came off of the wheel hub due to the pressure of occupant and sidewards motion.

Prior to the flught, I saw this man "eating" in the HX business lounge; sitting on a long, dining section seperator, unable to use any of the chairs available.

I am so grateful that I have resources to fly at the front of the plane.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Or just refuse this class altogether - 

Might encourage these fat <deleted> to shed more than a few kilos - change of diet, gluttony/over consumption habits, and fitness might help. 

Likewise for anyone too short to hoof their hand luggage into the overhead rack...?

("but thats different"!)

I will be following this case closely, hoping that the tiny Welshman gets his compensation.

If he is successful I will be assisting my Thai wife to make similar claims.

We always fly together with BA and she has had to sit next to a fatty on every occasion (me).

I might make a counter-claim of being seated next to someone who talks continually for 11.5 hours and requires constant help with the entertainment system.

4 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I do not believe this guy that the flight was full to the brim with no more vacant seats to be had. No flight can be THAT full.  And even if it is, the flight attendants could have changed him onto an aisle seat.

Oh yes they can be that full in which case moving a passenger problemmatic.

4 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I guess you don't fly much ? completely full flights are common in holiday times.

22 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I will be following this case closely, hoping that the tiny Welshman gets his compensation.

If he is successful I will be assisting my Thai wife to make similar claims.

We always fly together with BA and she has had to sit next to a fatty on every occasion (me).

I might make a counter-claim of being seated next to someone who talks continually for 11.5 hours and requires constant help with the entertainment system.

Will you buy two seats next time or upgrade to premium or business? 

9 hours ago, Shadychris said:

This also happened to me once. A  huge guy spilling over into my seat was forcing my body up against a really gorgeous looking Thai girl sat on my other side. My leg and arm was rubbing against hers, and i was so close i had a good view down her top. I could feel the warmth of her body and the scent of her perfume and im thinking to myself 'please, please, please dont get an erection now'. But a few minutes later she did....

Great online presence and delivery. Really that was something. Well done. 

15 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

It happened to me once or twice not a lot you can do about if u fly cattle class

If you pay extra (where possible) for an emergency exit seat, you will find that there is a solid separation between the seats so less of a problem of overhang. Also, since the divide takes up space the seat itself is narrower so someone of wide girth more squeezed so less likely to choose or be allocated.

Archived