Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, StevieAus said:

In that case what discount do you suggest we should receive for our young daughter who only weighs 13.5 kilos.

Many airlines charge full fare for children which considering they take up a seat is probably fair enough.( a requirement by the airline once they are two years old)

7 hours ago, Tofer said:

As you know it doesn't work like that. If you feel cheated, give a thought to all those families who have to pay full fare for a child once it reaches 2 years old. The rule is you occupy a seat you pay for it.

As for carry on luggage, it was recently explained to me that the 7kg. weight limit is for health and safety of the cabin crew who may be required to assist in handling said luggage.

That's the point.  If we're going to charge by weight, let's charge by weight.  If it's silly-- as it is-- then let's not do it.

On the carry-on: why not make it easy and make a person lift the bag above their head at check-in to prove they can do it?  No lift, no take.  I can overhead-press well more than 7kg, so let me bring my bloody bag.  (And it's amazing how the airlines who are so concerned about their cabin crew in this manner just happen to be the ones who charge for checked baggage...)

It could have been worse, the "large" man might have been from a well known European country that only believes on bathing once a week and the flight was on a Friday night.:sorry:  Not really!

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

In that case what discount do you suggest we should receive for our young daughter who only weighs 13.5 kilos.

Many airlines charge full fare for children which considering they take up a seat is probably fair enough.( a requirement by the airline once they are two years old)

there would be no need for "discount" if people are charges by the total weight including luggage by the kill.

e.g. At $10 per kilo someone weighing 100 kg with 30 kg luggage would pay 1300 and a child weighing 30 plus 20 kg luggage would pay 500 ... there is no need for discounts as everyone is paying for their portion of the total cargo weight.

however total cargo weight is only a certain proportion of the total cost of flying a passenger, so the airline would then have to add service charges which would be more or less uniform for all passengers regardless of weight or age so another uniform charge there would be incurred....say $500 per passenger. That way total for the fat man would be 1800 and for the small girl 1000??. No discount required.

Had a similar experience on UA Denver to Vancouver in the mid-90s. Was seated in the second row of coach where they put the highest category frequent flyers who didn't pay for or get upgraded to first. I'm on the window, the middle seat is vacant (generally deliberately so by the airline) and another presumably God like status frequent flyer was in the aisle seat. Just before the door was closed this giant more broad than tall middle aged women boards and surprise surprise, somehow sits in the middle seat. I'm pressed up against the wall with my neck kinked, in fact I had to turn sideways in order to find a way for the situation to be bearable. The aisle guy was so far into the aisle with his upper body that during flight he had to stand for the trolley to get past. Neither of us got a meal, it was not possible to either put the tray down or move our arms sufficiently. On disembarking we got together and decided to complain to UA. I emailed and mailed a letter but never got a response despite being 100K Premium Executive level. Thank God it was only a 3.5 hour flight.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

It could have been worse, the "large" man might have been from a well known European country that only believes on bathing once a week and the flight was on a Friday night.:sorry:  Not really!

I thought that was all of Europe, not just the UK.

????

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

May be they should charge people based on weight as some airlines already do ! (apparently), they could allocate seating/position the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/04/03/airline-charges-for-weight-of-bags-and-humans/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5534498f9e98

Wouldn’t that be people discrimination? What next? Body odor discrimination? 

19 hours ago, steve73 said:

Agree... and excess weight should be charged extra.

I'd go as far as to say you should advise your total weight (incl. expected total baggage) when you book, and tickets priced per kg.  Anything over (or under) should be charged (or discounted) at check-in.

Also, airlines should provide a limited number of extra-wide seats, and extra length seat pitch (e.g. incl. emergency exits)

Extra wide people should be forced to buy a wider seat to avoid the problems of squeezing their fellow passengers - if they don't advise at the time of booking then they must pay an additional premium at check-in if there are wide seats available, or forfeit their flight (without refund) if there are no spare wide seats available.  Likewise, extra long/tall people should book longer seat pitches if they want the extra legroom (which many airlines do now allow) - unless they are happy to sit with their knees by their ears - at least they're not troubling their fellows.

Every extra kg of weight costs additional fuel (which itself weighs extra on takeoff), so a cost per weight is a reasonable argument.

Similarly, if they were to provide a couple of rows of 9 seats, rather than 10, (or a 33 inch seat pitch vs. a regular 30") then they are losing 10% of carrying capacity, so a 10% uplift in price is again reasonable...

"if they were to provide a couple of rows of 9 seats, rather than 10, (or a 33 inch seat pitch vs. a regular 30") then they are losing 10% of carrying capacity, so a 10% uplift in price is again reasonable..."

Agree entirely - an 'economy plus' type option costing an additional 10-30% of the price of an economy ticket (depending on the extra leg room/seat size) is the best solution.

I'm pretty sure many people would be happy to pay the relatively small additional cost for a larger seat and more leg room, especially on long haul flights.

2 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Had a similar experience on UA Denver to Vancouver in the mid-90s. Was seated in the second row of coach where they put the highest category frequent flyers who didn't pay for or get upgraded to first. I'm on the window, the middle seat is vacant (generally deliberately so by the airline) and another presumably God like status frequent flyer was in the aisle seat. Just before the door was closed this giant more broad than tall middle aged women boards and surprise surprise, somehow sits in the middle seat. I'm pressed up against the wall with my neck kinked, in fact I had to turn sideways in order to find a way for the situation to be bearable. The aisle guy was so far into the aisle with his upper body that during flight he had to stand for the trolley to get past. Neither of us got a meal, it was not possible to either put the tray down or move our arms sufficiently. On disembarking we got together and decided to complain to UA. I emailed and mailed a letter but never got a response despite being 100K Premium Executive level. Thank God it was only a 3.5 hour flight.

Speak volumes about what both the office administrators and field workers thought about their loyal frequent fliers....

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"if they were to provide a couple of rows of 9 seats, rather than 10, (or a 33 inch seat pitch vs. a regular 30") then they are losing 10% of carrying capacity, so a 10% uplift in price is again reasonable..."

Agree entirely - an 'economy plus' type option costing an additional 10-30% of the price of an economy ticket (depending on the extra leg room/seat size) is the best solution.

I'm pretty sure many people would be happy to pay the relatively small additional cost for a larger seat and more leg room, especially on long haul flights.

Similar to Eva airline doing with their premium economy on long flights. 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In 2006, I used to regularly fly LHR-BKK on EVA just after they introduced their "premium economy" class that was just that; 9 vs. 10 seats, a slightly longer pitch, and extended leg rests.  Ticket price was an additional 50quid or so (compared to around 500 for the basic economy), and was hugely popular and always totally full.

Meanwhile, I and the other few remaining cheapskates, at the back section would regularly have a full row of 3 or 4 seats to ourselves to stretch out on.  Luxury - except for the lumps between the seats.  I recall one such flight watching a movie (silently) on my screen, whilst following the flight progress on the screen next to me, and listening to music from the next seat console over. 

Sadly, after a few months, EVA had priced the premium section at around 150 more, and passenger numbers became more evenly balanced. 

Whatever excuses British Airways has if they sell you a ticket and somebody else is so big the he does not fit into his seat intruding into your personal space and seat it is their fault - period.

It is obviously a torture to sit next to such a person for 12 hours.

It’s about time people starting to sue airlines for not holding up their end of the contract.

I was on a KLM flight once from Lima, Peru - the aisle seat I was in was broken leaning to the left. I told the stewardess. But the only thing she replied was „sorry we are full no other seats available“.

I was on a company full price ticket and had probably paid more than most other people on that flight in economy.

I told her I have the same right as everybody else on this plane do have a comfortable seat but she just walked away.

In addition the in-seat entertainment did not work so naturally I was pissed off.

I was hanging in that seat to the left all night long trying desperately to get some sleep and had another long flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok ahead of me.

It took me two weeks after to get rid of the neck and back pain - I should have sued them back then - many airlines obviously don’t give a damn about their passengers wellbeing. I hope the guy wins at least some compensation - BA was wrong - he payed for his FULL seat - not HALF!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've had this happen to me on a KL/Gold Coast flight once. I was seated in the middle seat, sandwiched between to massively obese passengers on each side of me. Lucky for me, I weigh in at just below 60kg so even tho there was room for the 3 of us, it was I, who was squashed into a sandwich from both sides and unable to move for the duration of the flight. Not a nice experience, but economy comes with risk.

9 hours ago, manarak said:

I guess you don't fly much ? completely full flights are common in holiday times.

Not just holiday times any more. The pricing software on many airline websites far more sophisticated and reactive to seats available these days such that full loading far more typical on major routes.

4 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Speak volumes about what both the office administrators and field workers thought about their loyal frequent fliers....

What they might think is that he would be smart enough to upgrade next flight.

21 hours ago, Basil B said:

Maybe putting the fatties together, but the the captain would not be happy as this would interfere with the balance of the aircraft.

Entirely off topic, but a funny (and true) story.

I once ended up on the last flight from Helsinki to another Finnish town (as a result of fog at Heathrow).

I was the only passenger and as it had been a VERY long day, I went to the end of the 'plane where there was a long row of seats - intending to lie down and rest for the 1 hour flight.

The stewardess told me to move to the middle of the 'plane, so that the 'balance' of the 'plane wasn't affected.....  I weighed around 50 kg ????!

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I was the only passenger and as it had been a VERY long day, I went to the end of the 'plane where there was a long row of seats - intending to lie down and rest for the 1 hour flight.

The stewardess told me to move to the middle of the 'plane, so that the 'balance' of the 'plane wasn't affected.....  I weighed around 50 kg

Way back in the DC-8 days we were ferrying cattle from Canada to Poland.  We took off and were unable to gain any altitude until we went back and moved the cattle around to alter the balance of the aircraft.  The whole time the load master, who screwed it up to begin with,  stood and watched with a loaded revolver drawn and ready to shoot.  A stampeding, kicking steer free on an airplane would not have a good ending.????

On 11/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, manarak said:

I don't believe the "injuries suffered from an unnatural position" - this is a common ploy used by social insurance fraudsters claiming invalidity because of back aches. As of today, there is no medical way to disprove that claim.

But what I do believe is that Mr.  - errrmm - "Prosser" didn't receive his fair share of space he booked with his seat, he should be compensated for that.

Up to You as they say

10 hours ago, Katia said:

That's the point.  If we're going to charge by weight, let's charge by weight.  If it's silly-- as it is-- then let's not do it.

On the carry-on: why not make it easy and make a person lift the bag above their head at check-in to prove they can do it?  No lift, no take.  I can overhead-press well more than 7kg, so let me bring my bloody bag.  (And it's amazing how the airlines who are so concerned about their cabin crew in this manner just happen to be the ones who charge for checked baggage...)

Just a point, most Airlines have it in their Employee protection that they are not obligated to put your bag in the overhead compartment.

18 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Why do I have a visual of some big NFL size dude smearing Crisco on himself and just jamming himself past the armrests to save a buck. Hey man, you really play DT for the Eagles? Why aren't you in first class then?????????????

"Why do I have a visual of some big NFL size dude smearing Crisco on himself and just jamming himself past the armrests to save a buck." so he can say 'hey look at me. i'm tough'. 

There may be a bigger picture here, namely a worldwide epidemic of diabetes/obesity which I’ve kearned from several docuseries.  Obesity seems very reversible but things will get worse before better.   Walking down an American street you can see it.  Heck, look at the thai youngsters.  Too many are overweight already.  

On 11/17/2018 at 10:53 AM, seajae said:

when you get these very large people that do not fit into a normal seat they need to be allocated 2 seats so they do not impose on their neighbouring passenger. I have had it happen to me and had to ask the passenger to occupy their own space, I have a damaged spine and cannot twist, the fact they were leaning into/over flowing into my space was causing a lot of problems for me as I was unable to sit straight I ended up having to complain to the hostess and they eventually moved him to a different seat. While it may be unfair to larger passengers there should be a weight/size limit for seats so other passengers are not imposed upon, long flights can be very taxing on people especially if they cannot sit comfortably.

I'm big and tall so I try to book my seat so that I will have the leg space and an aisle seat so I will not intrude on the person sitting next to me, but 8 times out of 10 the airline change my seat to somewhere my legs don't really fit and a window seat so I have to intrude on the person sitting next to me instead of stretching out my legs or leaning in to the aisle.
Once I even tried the solution with buying an extra ticket... but as the airline had (as they usually do) over booked they still put someone in the seat next to me and paid me back for the extra ticket (after me arguing with them for over 2 months) so, after that I will not do that again! 

29 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

I'm big and tall so I try to book my seat so that I will have the leg space and an aisle seat so I will not intrude on the person sitting next to me, but 8 times out of 10 the airline change my seat to somewhere my legs don't really fit and a window seat so I have to intrude on the person sitting next to me instead of stretching out my legs or leaning in to the aisle.
Once I even tried the solution with buying an extra ticket... but as the airline had (as they usually do) over booked they still put someone in the seat next to me and paid me back for the extra ticket (after me arguing with them for over 2 months) so, after that I will not do that again! 

I gave up after they gave me the old 'emergency exit' guff despite my insistence that i'd be throwing women and children behind me and that I had the strength to open it in the first place ???? 

To be serious whenever i'm in a plane and about to get off I deliberately stand in the aisle and place a hand on each seat, preventing any selfish queue-jumpers behind me from sprinting to the front while the poor buggers in front are trying to retrieve their kids/hand luggage before the 'tsunami' of 'jack' b******* reaches them.  

Archived