Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

On 11/17/2018 at 12:03 PM, Bluespunk said:

Should have body weight plus luggage allowance.

You weigh more, you take less. 

Or pay more. Would a compromise be 120kg being the average weight plus 20kg for your baggage, all of it including cabin stuff. That's what you pay for. Then anything over that you are charged per kilo. BUT that would only work if there was a standard fare for a flight. I've been where the guy next to me has paid a good few quid more for exactly the same thing. CHARGE PER KILO PER KILOMETER wherever you go, whoever you fly with. Sorted.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be my biggest fear, extremely fat obese people sitting next to me.Next a broken seat in front of me  with the head rest one foot away from me during a 15 hour flight.Lastly the plane crashing!

14 hours ago, Katia said:

That's the point.  If we're going to charge by weight, let's charge by weight.  If it's silly-- as it is-- then let's not do it.

On the carry-on: why not make it easy and make a person lift the bag above their head at check-in to prove they can do it?  No lift, no take.  I can overhead-press well more than 7kg, so let me bring my bloody bag.  (And it's amazing how the airlines who are so concerned about their cabin crew in this manner just happen to be the ones who charge for checked baggage...)

British Airways will allow you two articles of cabin baggage, each which can be UP TO 23kg.

9 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Wouldn’t that be people discrimination? What next? Body odor discrimination? 

No it is not. You pay your electricity, water, internet, car fuel etc for how much you use. Why not pay more if the airline needs more fuel to fly a fatties body and luggage. And yes, body odour tests should be done out of common decency.

I once watched a movie /documentary called The age of stupid.  It said that if all citizens of the world consumed like a certain super power,  then we would need another 5 planets to cope with this. So now these people who consume more of our planets precious resources and become obese,  now wish to consume your own personal space. Yes they should be upgraded to business or better. They deserve to be compensated for your discomfort.

7 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Just a point, most Airlines have it in their Employee protection that they are not obligated to put your bag in the overhead compartment.

I have never asked an airline employee to handle my bags in any way, except when checking luggage.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

British Airways will allow you two articles of cabin baggage, each which can be UP TO 23kg.

Which is fine.  I can easily pack what I need to within my carryon rucksack well within those limits.  It's the airlines that give you a weight that almost guarantees you'll need to check a bag that piss me off.  I far prefer to travel with a carry-on only whenever possible, for many reasons, so being forced to check a bag I don't need and go through checking the luggage, dragging a suitcase through an airport, hoping it's not lost or subject to theft while out of my control, waiting at the line to retrieve it, etc. when everything I want to take fits in my carry-on except oh wait, it's a skosh too heavy, is irksome.

6 hours ago, Harveyg said:

There may be a bigger picture here, namely a worldwide epidemic of diabetes/obesity which I’ve kearned from several docuseries.  Obesity seems very reversible but things will get worse before better.   Walking down an American street you can see it.  Heck, look at the thai youngsters.  Too many are overweight already.  

Yes, but it's NOT just the US, it's worldwide.  People have stopped eating veggies and fruits.  They eat mostly meat, dairy, and processed foods.  Too much fat and added SOS - sugar, oil, salt.  A good documentary discussing the issues is Forks over Knives.  I made a drastic change in my diet, eating healthy, 315 to 240 and still heading down.  No more seat spillage and seat belt extensions for me! :-)

Need to have a demo seat setup near check in, similar to the one used for carry on baggage sizing.

If you can't fit in it they look to seat you next to an available empty seat. If not you have to pay for two seats.

if there's any doubt the check in clerk says "have a seat" or "take a seat" or "sit on it"

You payed for a seat, the airline should give you a seat

end of story

If the airline in order to sell another ticket wants to use part of your seat for what ever reason, they should give you a refund or if you don't want one, find you another seat.

I think the person who is suing the airline has a good case and will win. 

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

Need to have a demo seat setup near check in, similar to the one used for carry on baggage sizing.

If you can't fit in it they look to seat you next to an available empty seat. If not you have to pay for two seats.

if there's any doubt the check in clerk says "have a seat" or "take a seat" or "sit on it"

Stand up seats next!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/94138828/vivacolombia-budget-airline-would-love-to-introduce-standup-flights

661956F4-EA41-45E4-A81C-B355E1A4F583.jpeg

On 11/17/2018 at 8:17 PM, Tofer said:

When I go shopping in the likes of Home Pro I always ask what the weight capacity is before I try out any chairs, as often they are limited to 80kg. 

You must be fluent in thai....i refuse to speak to anybody in homepro and my wife refuses to go in at all!

If the airlines insist on a baggage allowance because of the impact on fuel then surely they need to be concerned with passenger weight?

If my wife flies with 20Kgs of luggage then the total weight is 65Kgs. If an obese man flies with 20Kgs then the weight could easily be 150Kgs. Surely it must be fair that my wife could take 105Kgs of luggage?

Someone needs to grasp the nettle and impose a weight charge or max weight per seat. Then of course someone else will sue the airline for discrimination .................................

All this at a time when BA are changing their formation from 9 seats to 10 across! OMG ????

Discrimination should certainly be rejected, but only when there is no impact... A Black, White, Yellow, or even Green passenger makes no difference to the flight (costs). Male, female, or anywhere in between, similarly.

But weight does make a difference, since it uses more fuel, and also size, since larger seats would allow less passengers overall. 

Unaccompanied children, wheelchair users, & the very old, do sometimes require additional assistance (mostly landside) and should be charged extra accordingly (as many airlines do for children already, although in my ideal world they would also give a weight discount).  

The other issue I see mentioned is of the variability of pricing for the same class of flight ticket, and that all tickets should be priced the same....

Of course not; some are totally flexible (and carry a higher price), many are totally non-flexible/refundable (and are usually the cheapest).  Variable pricing is perfectly acceptable, and also dependent on when you book....

Book early, get cheaper, then more expensive as the preferred flight fills, although I think that lo-cost last minute or standby tickets should be re-introduced.  Nothing worse than paying top price for a last minute booking only to find the flight is only half full.... the airline should be glad of any extra income received, but I suppose that would encourage even more passengers would leave it until the last few hours to book, and disrupt the ability of the airline to plan ahead...

6 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Clearly someone whose arithmetic not up to much or can’t find premium seats in promotions. Keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't need a discount. I'm loaded. Also I'm not flying air China or Eva just to save a few baht. So do some research and see for yourself. Ten times the price, minimum! 

2 hours ago, fullcave said:

I don't need a discount. I'm loaded. Also I'm not flying air China or Eva just to save a few baht. So do some research and see for yourself. Ten times the price, minimum! 

No it’s not. 

I fly business all all the time and it is nowhere near that more expensive. 

While I sympathise with the guy, I am surprised that he wasn't able to find his earrings. Well, maybe they were really tiny; or maybe he realised he lost his earrings after he left the plane.

Having someone who is very large next to you is quite a problem. Other unlucky instances on board are having someone with a bad odor next to you, or having someone with an almost non-stop crying baby next to you, or having an ill-behaving kid (or an ill-behaving drunk person) next to you.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:52 PM, shackleton said:

I was travelling in a Gulf Air flight to Bangkok when I heard a bit of a commotion behind me 

there was a woman with a Obese guy sitting next to her  over flowing in to her seat she asked the flight attendant  to sort it out she had paid for her full seat

In the end they moved the guy to Business class replacing him with a guy from there

Have to agree with the woman you pay for a seat  all of it

on the return flight 3 weeks later who comes waddling down the aisle

luckily he passed me by so no doubt some one else had the pleasure of his company  Not  

Passenger should be aware of their bulk when buying economy seat. Buying a business class seat ( at a special accommodated negotiated price with the airline) may be the way to go. Another option is to travel less frequently if economy class is the only option. I think airlines should have a plan B of special price for bulky people in business class section. This way, it is  a win win situation for everybody. 

1 hour ago, JemJem said:

While I sympathise with the guy, I am surprised that he wasn't able to find his earrings. Well, maybe they were really tiny; or maybe he realised he lost his earrings after he left the plane.

Having someone who is very large next to you is quite a problem. Other unlucky instances on board are having someone with a bad odor next to you, or having someone with an almost non-stop crying baby next to you, or having an ill-behaving kid (or an ill-behaving drunk person) next to you.

Once travelled from Frankfurt to Tehran stopover Dubai. Once the plane was in the air, many middle eastern passengers took off their shoes ( maybe their daily attire is sandals?) and the smell in the whole cabin was so unbearable. Took some hours before my nose get used to it..... never again! 

On 11/18/2018 at 10:33 AM, boonrawdcnx said:

Whatever excuses British Airways has if they sell you a ticket and somebody else is so big the he does not fit into his seat intruding into your personal space and seat it is their fault - period.

It is obviously a torture to sit next to such a person for 12 hours.

It’s about time people starting to sue airlines for not holding up their end of the contract.

I was on a KLM flight once from Lima, Peru - the aisle seat I was in was broken leaning to the left. I told the stewardess. But the only thing she replied was „sorry we are full no other seats available“.

I was on a company full price ticket and had probably paid more than most other people on that flight in economy.

I told her I have the same right as everybody else on this plane do have a comfortable seat but she just walked away.

In addition the in-seat entertainment did not work so naturally I was pissed off.

I was hanging in that seat to the left all night long trying desperately to get some sleep and had another long flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok ahead of me.

It took me two weeks after to get rid of the neck and back pain - I should have sued them back then - many airlines obviously don’t give a damn about their passengers wellbeing. I hope the guy wins at least some compensation - BA was wrong - he payed for his FULL seat - not HALF!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I can empathize with you. Airlines should hold their end of contract. Passengers paying for a full seat should get just that! Nothing more and nothing less!

Archived