Man sues British Airways after being seated next to obese person on Bangkok flight

rooster59

4 hours ago, fullcave said:

I don't need a discount. I'm loaded. Also I'm not flying air China or Eva just to save a few baht. So do some research and see for yourself. Ten times the price, minimum! 

I think 4 to 5 times is a little more realistic. First Class might be up to the 10 mark

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2018 at 8:28 PM, Lacessit said:

It's up to the affected passenger to complain to the cabin crew. It's then up to the cabin crew to assess whether the complaint is reasonable, and then, if it is, to do something about it.

If the cabin crew did nothing, perhaps the cabin crew should try sitting in the poor man’s seat to see how it feels like. .. nothing imprints onto your mind more than personal experience... 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:42 PM, zzaa09 said:

Or just refuse this class altogether - 

Might encourage these fat <deleted> to shed more than a few kilos - change of diet, gluttony/over consumption habits, and fitness might help. 

Perhaps the airline should have a clause that people of certain disposition are liable to buy a bigger non economy class seat or they wouldn’t be allowed boarding... airlines should inform the public upon booking their economy seat width so that people can make an informed decision after measuring their er... butt! 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:49 PM, Hummin said:

America is first as always, and show what to do ????

American has more of these ‘bulky’ passengers flying compared to other countries.... and when they are huge, they can be really huge! 

Might even need an aisle seat literally. A moveable seat placed onto the aisle like what some buses have in some developing countries. 

On 11/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, Fallangpakwan said:

Just flew an 11 hour flight in Business class on a THAI Dreamliner, most uncomfortable seat ever., seems as aircraft get newer the sadists who design the seats get nastier. I remember an ancient THAI 777 think it was way back, had quite good seats in Business

Maybe the designers got the wrong ‘model’ to flesh out their design? Most business class passengers are not skinny and petite. Ever notice that mannequins nowadays are skinnier too.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:56 AM, wisperone said:

Maybe they should have a seat at check in. Kind of like the height restriction at amusement parks.  If you don't fit in the seat, pay for another one if available, or you aren't allowed on the plane.  Seems simple enough.

Wouldn’t that be size discrimination? What about body odors? 

1 minute ago, Ctkong said:

Wouldn’t that be size discrimination? What about body odors? 

I always bring tiger balm or simular with me when travelling, and if there is someone with bad odor, you just put some of it in your nosw. Bad odor do not kill you, or squeese you ???? 

On 11/18/2018 at 6:02 AM, kwilco said:

there would be no need for "discount" if people are charges by the total weight including luggage by the kill.

e.g. At $10 per kilo someone weighing 100 kg with 30 kg luggage would pay 1300 and a child weighing 30 plus 20 kg luggage would pay 500 ... there is no need for discounts as everyone is paying for their portion of the total cargo weight.

however total cargo weight is only a certain proportion of the total cost of flying a passenger, so the airline would then have to add service charges which would be more or less uniform for all passengers regardless of weight or age so another uniform charge there would be incurred....say $500 per passenger. That way total for the fat man would be 1800 and for the small girl 1000??. No discount required.

Very interesting but somehow don’t see it happening.

Doesn't worry me as we are fortunate to be able to travel at the front when we we fly International so plenty of room and baggage allowance.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:45 AM, Bluespunk said:

Yet another reason to never fly economy again. 

On BA anyway............presumably their is a record of his displeasure logged with the cabin staff............his injury could of manifested it self some time later.

In any case there has to be guidelines on a passengers bulk not to mention weight. How did he manage to check in I wonder.

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

Perhaps the airline should have a clause that people of certain disposition are liable to buy a bigger non economy class seat or they wouldn’t be allowed boarding... airlines should inform the public upon booking their economy seat width so that people can make an informed decision after measuring their er... butt! 

KLM has a section on 747's anyway at extra cost I think providing for folk with long legs (being Dutch obviouly). 

If I buy into using a regular economy sized seat I expect to be able to use the whole seat & share the arm rest too - BA should pay up for inconeniencing the small guy. 

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

If the cabin crew did nothing, perhaps the cabin crew should try sitting in the poor man’s seat to see how it feels like. .. nothing imprints onto your mind more than personal experience... 

Caring BA Cabin Crew, now there’s an oxymoron if ever there was

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Google any airline you can think of and check out the prices. 

It is ridiculous to claim business class is 10 times more expensive than economy. 

I just did. Take Thai for example, 37,000 vs 340,000. Okay slight exaggeration. ????

19 minutes ago, fullcave said:

I just did. Take Thai for example, 37,000 vs 340,000. Okay slight exaggeration. ????

Funny, I did exactly the same search on Thai and found your business class quote claim to be more than twice the actual price. 

How odd...

Though it appears in line with the exaggerated claims you have made throughout this thread. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:48 AM, Bluespunk said:

Funny, I did exactly the same search on Thai and found your business class quote claim to be more than twice the actual price. 

How odd...

Though it appears in line with the exaggerated claims you have made throughout this thread. 

Thai Air 158K vs. 39K yup, you are correct, my bad.  

On 11/17/2018 at 8:08 PM, manarak said:

I guess you don't fly much ? completely full flights are common in holiday times.

not to me

I fly in 3/4 full flights from Germany to thailand.  Always able to take a seat with NO neighbeour

I guess you fly budget and cheap

On 11/17/2018 at 8:06 PM, SheungWan said:

Oh yes they can be that full in which case moving a passenger problemmatic.

oh . . ..  I never experienced a full flight from Germany to Bangkok. Always got my 240 pounds butt seated to a free seat next to me. 

I fly five times a year . . .never a problem

Qatar Airways btw

maybe that's why the British are so tight lipped, coz' the flights are always full to the brim

must be a british problem

not sure

On November 19, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Ctkong said:

Passenger should be aware of their bulk when buying economy seat. Buying a business class seat ( at a special accommodated negotiated price with the airline) may be the way to go. Another option is to travel less frequently if economy class is the only option. I think airlines should have a plan B of special price for bulky people in business class section. This way, it is  a win win situation for everybody. 

Or have the option of removable dividers in economy between seats so space is preserved

added benefit of not having to look at or deal with your neighbor no matter what there size

anyone make these aftermarket and are they allowable on board?

could somehow clip onto the armrest

Any removable dividers would have to be certified with the seat at  the time of certification of the seat.  These include extensive testing including flammability and crash tests. No airline or seat manufacture would undertake this addition due to cost for the occasional "blimp" that is allowed to purchase an economy seat, hard to control with online/ offsite sales..

6 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

oh . . ..  I never experienced a full flight from Germany to Bangkok. Always got my 240 pounds butt seated to a free seat next to me. 

I fly five times a year . . .never a problem

Qatar Airways btw

maybe that's why the British are so tight lipped, coz' the flights are always full to the brim

must be a british problem

not sure

Im not sure either I havent seen an empty seat in 10 years, anywhere except the short domestic hops out of DMK, that inludes short hop US routes.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

Any removable dividers would have to be certified with the seat at  the time of certification of the seat.  These include extensive testing including flammability and crash tests. No airline or seat manufacture would undertake this addition due to cost for the occasional "blimp" that is allowed to purchase an economy seat, hard to control with online/ offsite sales..

It could be an extra pay option in economy

not just for blimps, dividers would make a huge difference in privacy and they would be very popular if offered. Similar to the fold out meal trays.

in fact I now fly with a hood that fits over my head which makes a huge difference for me. Not eyeballing people and being distracted makes a huge difference in the quality of rest and piece of mind I get when flying.

I don't need more space (I'm thin) or business class, I need privacy. Most of the stress in flying and transit is not the space given, it's dealing with other travelers.

think about it. That privacy is most of what luxury is. The rest is just dressing.

7 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

not just for blimps, dividers would make a huge difference in privacy and they would be very popular if offered. Similar to the fold out meal trays.

in fact I now fly with a hood that fits over my head which makes a huge difference for me. Not eyeballing people and being distracted makes a huge difference in the quality of rest and piece of mind I get when flying.

I don't need more space (I'm thin) or business class, I need privacy. Most of the stress in flying and transit is not the space given, it's dealing with other travelers.

think about it. That privacy is most of what luxury is. The rest is just dressing.

It might be, but it's the cost of the certification of the seat that is the factor.  I was in the airline entertainment industry and went through the certification processes t5hat installed seat back and arm rest video and believe me it is not cheap!

6 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

I completely agree with you. I love how we think wr are so technilogically advanced, yet we can't separate two seats to any meaningful degree. They cannot make a seat where the person next to me physically cannot spill over? Seriously? 

Archived