Brake failure! Ten wheel truck causes eight vehicle pile up at the lights in Ramkhamhaeng

rooster59

Brake failure! Ten wheel truck causes eight vehicle pile up at the lights in Ramkhamhaeng

1542363832850-960x0.jpg

Image: TNA

Brake failure has been blamed for a pile up on Ramkhamhaeng Road in Bangkok yesterday. 

A ten wheel truck carrying building materials for the Orange Line train project plowed into vehicles waiting at a red light outside the head office of the Mistine company.

Three people were injured and taken to Kasemrat Ramkhamhaeng Hospital. 

Eight vehicles were damaged. 

TNA reported that the driver of the truck tested negative for alcohol and drugs in his system. He said his brakes failed. 

He has been charged with negligent driving by Bang Chan police who are investigating. 

Traffic returned to normal after the damaged vehicles were towed to the yard at Bang Chan police station. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-17

1542363851833.jpg

I am amazed at how many of these bus/truck drivers blame brake failure , the only reason this could be true is lack of proper maintenance which initially lays with the drivers who can tell when their brakes are bad and the companies who force them to keep driving them after they have been informed of the problem .

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

I am amazed at how many of these bus/truck drivers blame brake failure , the only reason this could be true is lack of proper maintenance which initially lays with the drivers who can tell when their brakes are bad and the companies who force them to keep driving them after they have been informed of the problem .

Or, that it is a fake excuse, because the divers know RTP don't perform post-collision brake inspections.  That way, there is no investigation as to whether the driver fell asleep or was playing Facebook or Line on his mobile.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Ahhhh th "old brake failure again"  it's like listening to an old record stuck in the grove !!!

Since first coming to Thailand in 1996, there has been a great deal of news reporting this phenomenon, but none has been "stuck in the GROVE" you mention.  Having said that, I am surprised that from my recollection only one time has it been reported that the police conducted an immediate "investigation" to clarify the real cause of the claim.  That turned out to be a false statement by the driver as the brakes were found to be in perfect working order but when tested he proved positive for DUI and drugs.

'nuf sed

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Honest mistake !, he mistook the clutch pedal for the brakes,

happens quite often,here.

regards worgeordie

This is much more likely than "brake failure", or perhaps his phone fell under the seat and he was looking for it. You don't cause that amount of destruction unless you are running at quite some speed.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, keith101 said:

No picture of the Truck, Most brake failures contribute to the Older Model Trucks with the Air over Hyd System, No air. No Brakes, 

The air brakes are "Supposed" to be sail safe

No air the brakes lock on so the truck cannot move.

With so many so called brake failures you'd think that with the law of averages there should be at least some accidents that are actually due to genuine brake failure.  :whistling:

Moved my residence to another province and re-registered my three vehicles. The DLT did a road worthiness test on all three vehicles (which I bought in at different days with different inspectors). All of them turned the steering wheel to the left, used a paper tape to rubble off the chassis number, the engine number, switched on the engine, switched it off again while the cars were in parked position. 

All good, carry on - the health test completed and then you wonder why brakes fail. The driver to be charged for negligence though is only then acceptable, if the driver is the owner, otherwise go after the owner.

The older hands will remember such accidents in the daily papers closing the caption with "the driver fled the scene" line - nothing changed, quite obviously, in the last 30+ years I've been here ???? 

On 11/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, keith101 said:

I'm sure there are nowhere near the number of brake failures that are claimed. The reality is that drivers haven't a clue about safe braking distances and simply brake too late. When they fail to stop in time they blame the brakes for it. That way it isn't their fault. That's the Thai way - blame anyone/thing other than themselves.

Archived