BANGKOK 22 March 2019 02:40
Neeranam

My Thai neighbor asked me to kill a problematic, dangerous dog as he was worried about his negative karma if he did the deed.

Wouldn't his karma be as bad by asking someone else to do it?

What about my karma, if I did it? Would it be less severe that killing the dog of my own free will?

Would it be any more negative than say buying pork sausages from the butcher? Is a pig a higher being than a dog?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1

I believe Karma exists, i also think that it's very difficult to understand how it works.

If your heart is telling you that something is bad, it surely is, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s a human construct.. there is no such thing as karma.

Course there is....chicken in a mild coconut flavoured curry sauce.................and if it's in a pot noodle, John Lennon wrote a song about it .  lol

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

oh its real forsure, and it works both ways .

20707975_1632644666808257_4303777532444961764_n.jpg

1 minute ago, sirmud63 said:

oh its real forsure, and it works both ways .

20707975_1632644666808257_4303777532444961764_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1. Yes, his karma would be just as bad.

2.You would be acting of your own free will, since nothing forces you to do what he asks. Same bad karma for you as for him.

3. Buddhist precepts refer to the killing of any sentient being, which both pigs and dogs are.  That said, karma is created by mental intentions and people buying meat often do so in ignorance/not really recognizing the connection between this and the killing of animals.

So what's the craic for us non-Buddhists please?

Just now, Sheryl said:

I don't know what "craic" means/is for anyone!

but I believe the question was asked with regard to Buddhist teaching.

Sorry, craic is the Irish term for news, gossip, conversation.  And yes, his neighbour was probably asking from his Buddhist point of view.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rather inappropriate thing to say on a Buddhist forum.

Of course karma exists. I've seen it when spending time in a temple in northern India,  where the Dalai Lama lives. More than half the world believe in it. All Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, and many Christians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

My Thai neighbor asked me to kill a problematic, dangerous dog as he was worried about his negative karma if he did the deed.

Personally I would question the moral fibre of the man. If karma is a real concept, what he's doing is offloading his karmic responsibly onto you. That's like conning some else into paying a speeding ticket you have acquired.

I would be tempted to say to him: 'If the dog bothers you so much, grow some balls and kill it yourself'.

• Like 2

I would say the both their karma would be the same.  But here is something to consider, you can never escape some sort of karma.  If you chose not to kill the dangerous dog when you had the chance and  the dog goes out and bites a person, does the dogs action cause you “bad” karma? What if that dog had rabies and people died from the bite?

I was walking around a Wat in Chiangmai two weeks ago and the abbot asked me and others to walk in silence for 20 minutes to see what we see.  When I was walking on the path, I noticed a lot of dead leaves on the ground.  I remember that I must be aware of living creatures, even ants and not cause harm.  With all the leaves on the ground, I’m sure i stepped on and killed some.  I then thought that it was impossible to not step on something eventhough i was being very mindful.  Then I realized that you cannot escape acts that generate bad karma.  For everything there are two sides.  All we can be in mindful/aware of our actions and chose the path that generates the least amount of bad karma.

• Like 2

I prefer Vindaloo.You get your cumupance deserved or not in the morning..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Haha 1