Vendor arrested after customer shot dead in 'rotten oranges' dispute

Jonathan Fairfield

Vendor arrested after customer shot dead in 'rotten oranges' dispute

By The Nation

n2.jpg

Image: Sanook

A Pathum Thani fruit vendor was arrested on Saturday shortly after she allegedly shot and killed a customer who complained of "rotten oranges".

Klong Luang police were alerted to the shooting at 8am inside the Iyara Market in Pathum Thani's Klong Luang district.

Police said Saranya Saksaeng, 30, was shot once on the chest and three times on the abdomen. She was rushed to Thammasat University's hospital where she died.

The fruit vendor, Tip Raseemuang, 38, was arrested at her shop and a .38 revolver was found on her with four spent ammunition shells.

Tip said she shot the customer out of anger because she accused her of selling rotten oranges. She said she became angry after Saranya threw oranges that she bought in front of the shop and hurled abuse at her.

Tip said she lost her temper and pulled out her revolver from the drawer of her desk and shot Saranya. She waited for police at the scene.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358759

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-17

Over What...come on! Shot four times for complaining about oranges. Hair trigger psychos everywhere now...can't say anything to anyone these days without some over-the-top reaction. And people wonder why the prevalent anti-social "Don't get involved" attitude to situations and people is so common now. 'Face' sure is a toxic concept here. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Hopefully she won't be selling Oranges or anything else

for a while,maybe it was the wrong time of the month

to complain to her.

regards worgeordie

With a 38 in the drawer, sounds like any time is a bad time 

Geeeez. I'll make a note. When in Thailand.. Say NOTHING negative.. for fear of bring killed or arrested.

A fruit seller feels the need to arm herself in a busy market? Are times changing this much in Thailand? Or was it always like this?

I have often watched cash being replenished at an ATM.. Zero security and no visible weapon. Yet a fruit seller....

9 hours ago, Bournville said:

Geeeez. I'll make a note. When in Thailand.. Say NOTHING negative.. for fear of bring killed or arrested.

A fruit seller feels the need to arm herself in a busy market? Are times changing this much in Thailand? Or was it always like this?

I have often watched cash being replenished at an ATM.. Zero security and no visible weapon. Yet a fruit seller....

I have even never seen real highly armed security at Thai airports (that's only done abroad).

It's not done to give negative comments in Thailand, that starts already at school where every kid always passes all the exams..And have you ever seen Thai parents correcting their kids/dogs? Me neither.

9 hours ago, jerojero said:
12 hours ago, markaoffy said:
So vendors have handguns ! Crazy country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe one out of hundred thousand vendors has a gun. Let's not generalize sensationally or stupidly.

Id beg to differ, i bet quite a few  have and especially over turf wars who gets the best site etc

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bullet-and-body-thailands-troubling-gun-murders/

13 hours ago, jerojero said:
15 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Maybe one out of hundred thousand vendors has a gun. Let's not generalize sensationally or stupidly.

According to Thailand's Interior Ministry, there are currently more than six million registered guns in a country with a population of 66.7 million - meaning that about one in ten people in Thailand legally own a gun.

Estimated total civilian-held legal and illicit firearms in the 25 top ranked
countries and territories, 2017. Thailand 10,300,000 

This type of anger is commonplace here & I just hate these ongoing threats & violence here if you complain about anything. "Loss of Face" ................. is the most dangerous situation you can find yourself in. It immediately puts you in great danger as this loss of control is deadly ......... you can easily become a victim over a very trivial matter. A fine & a "Wai" is not the answer here, but often the case. This is a serious trait here with Thai's ......... it has to be addressed asap. A fruit seller at market with a gun in the draw? ................... what protection does she need from anyone. Mind boggles ............ terrible just to say "I lost my temper"? She should be banged up for life.

15 hours ago, kevvy said:

This does not just happen in Thailand , all over the world people get shot for stupid reasons . This a very sad story , as is all the other stories where people get killed.

I can't remember, that I've read or heard that a customer got shot in a german market from the shop owner.
Maybe, this is more common in some other parts of the world more to the west, but this doesn't mean that's common all over the world.
But I also know, in this part of the world it could be very dangerous to make someone lose his face, because the rational thinking will stop in this moment and then s##t like this happens.

13 hours ago, jerojero said:
16 hours ago, markaoffy said:

your statement is not matching with the statistic. Statistically seen 15 out of 100 people have a gun. Furthermore, the gun violence is twice as much like in the US. Every day 14 people die from gun violence, this are alarming numbers.

Archived