Vendor arrested after customer shot dead in 'rotten oranges' dispute

Jonathan Fairfield

55 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

This type of anger is commonplace here & I just hate these ongoing threats & violence here if you complain about anything. "Loss of Face" ................. is the most dangerous situation you can find yourself in. It immediately puts you in great danger as this loss of control is deadly ......... you can easily become a victim over a very trivial matter. A fine & a "Wai" is not the answer here, but often the case. This is a serious trait here with Thai's ......... it has to be addressed asap. A fruit seller at market with a gun in the draw? ................... what protection does she need from anyone. Mind boggles ............ terrible just to say "I lost my temper"? She should be banged up for life.

No she should be executed,  Like she has executed someone.

Get the needle reedy for her. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, jerojero said:
16 hours ago, markaoffy said:
So vendors have handguns ! Crazy country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe one out of hundred thousand vendors has a gun. Let's not generalize sensationally or stupidly.

It is said that there are about 10 million guns in Thailand, which works out at around one gun for every seven people.  As there must be millions of vendors of one sort or another in Thailand, it does therefore seem likely that quite a few of them would be toting guns.  Failing that, possibly swords or large knives.   

34 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

your statement is not matching with the statistic. Statistically seen 15 out of 100 people have a gun. Furthermore, the gun violence is twice as much like in the US. Every day 14 people die from gun violence, this are alarming numbers.

And it is not just the fact that there are so many guns around, but the reasons given for killing someone seem so lame, reinforcing the notion that life is so cheap here.  The criminals seem to have no fear at all of the consequences of their actions.  Is that a case of perceived inadequate enforcement of laws, inadequate sentences, or pure stupidity? 

Will this vendor, on reflection, consider that she over-reacted in killing the customer?   I doubt it, as she will probably believe that she did what was necessary to avoid losing face.  All over a few oranges.

15 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

And it is not just the fact that there are so many guns around, but the reasons given for killing someone seem so lame, reinforcing the notion that life is so cheap here.  The criminals seem to have no fear at all of the consequences of their actions.  Is that a case of perceived inadequate enforcement of laws, inadequate sentences, or pure stupidity? 

Will this vendor, on reflection, consider that she over-reacted in killing the customer?   I doubt it, as she will probably believe that she did what was necessary to avoid losing face.  All over a few oranges.

Not that this is any excuse but the customer was getting aggressive by throwing oranges at the vendor & therefore fearing for her own safety.

There are twice the amount of  gun related deaths in Thailand than the USA.     https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailand-gun-death-rate-twice-high-us/ 

I spent a lot of time in Kansas some years back when working for a company that had a factory there - One of the engineers had a ' his and hers ' Glock (not sure about the spelling) in a locked centre console in his pick up - I said ... hmmm why you need that ... His response was ... well what would happen if you got involved in argument in the supermarket car park back home ... I said well ... might be a bit of yelling .. etc ... His response was .. Here some crazy guy may pul a gun on you ... and I want to be the last man standing :-)

Just saying ....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Tip said she shot the customer out of anger because she accused her of selling rotten oranges. She said she became angry after Saranya threw oranges that she bought in front of the shop and hurled abuse at her.

It never fails to amaze me at how cheap life is in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, Valentine said:

Not that this is any excuse but the customer was getting aggressive by throwing oranges at the vendor & therefore fearing for her own safety.

Yep, so fearful - an orange at point blank range - what a life threatening situation. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, worgeordie said:

Hopefully she won't be selling Oranges or anything else

for a while,maybe it was the wrong time of the month

to complain to her.

regards worgeordie

A plausible question to ask - why do a fruit seller need to carry a loaded gun?

I have my doubts it is for protection or negotian purposes during fruit trades?

She is supposed to selling fruit, not dealing with gold, money laundring or narcotics - or does she?

Hopefully she has a proper license….

License

People may only be issued a license to own and use firearms and ammunition for purposes of self-defense, protection of property, or use in sports or hunting, and a license must be obtained for each firearm.  (Id. § 9.)  Applicants for a firearms license must be at least 20 years of age (the age of majority under the Civil and Commercial Code), have a record of good behavior, have an occupation and receive income, and have a permanent address in Thailand with a name “listed in the house registration specifically in the area where you are applying for a license, for at least six months.”  (Chaninat & Leeds, Gun Law of Thailand (Sept. 30, 2011), THAI LAW FORUM; Firearms Act, § 9; Thai Civil and Commercial Code, Title 2: Persons, § 19, THAILAND LAW LIBRARY (last visited Oct. 17, 2017).)

--------------

When we look at Thailands gun related Deaths it should be considered an urgent review of the Law With accompanying changes...

Gun Culture

Thailand is said to have “the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths in Southeast Asia – almost 50 percent more gun homicides than the Philippines,” and, based on 2013 data compiled by the Institute for Health and Metric Evaluation of the University of Washington, “the rate is also twice as high as that of the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people” as opposed to Thailand’s rate of 748 per 100,000 people. (Domínguez, supra.)  The same year, the U.S. State Department’s Bureau for Diplomatic Security characterized Thailand as having “a fervent gun culture on par with the United States and … [being] a world leader in firearms-related homicides.”  (Id.)  As reported in early 2016, the gun-ownership ratio in Thailand is also high, with more than six million registered guns among the population of 66.7 million, according to Ministry of Interior figures, or one in ten people legally owning a gun.  (Id.)  There is also a black market in which weapons are sold illegally, which could push the estimates of the actual number of civilian-held firearms in circulation, legal and illegal, to about ten million.  (Id.)

http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-amendments-to-firearms-law/

On 11/17/2018 at 11:00 PM, kevvy said:

This does not just happen in Thailand , all over the world people get shot for stupid reasons . This a very sad story , as is all the other stories where people get killed.

Maybe but surely not quite as stupid a reason as "rotten oranges"! I can think of only one worse reason - "because."

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, rvaviator said:

I spent a lot of time in Kansas some years back when working for a company that had a factory there - One of the engineers had a ' his and hers ' Glock (not sure about the spelling) in a locked centre console in his pick up - I said ... hmmm why you need that ... His response was ... well what would happen if you got involved in argument in the supermarket car park back home ... I said well ... might be a bit of yelling .. etc ... His response was .. Here some crazy guy may pul a gun on you ... and I want to be the last man standing ????

Just saying ....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But... https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailand-gun-death-rate-twice-high-us/ 

Archived