405 taxi drivers violated the law in October

Jonathan Fairfield

405 taxi drivers violated the law in October

By The Nation

n3.jpeg

The Land Transport Department found that 405 out of 10,056 taxis in Bangkok violated the law in October, the department chief said on Saturday.

Pirapol Thawornsuppacharoen, director general of the department, said 84 of the 405 taxi drivers rejected their customers while 69 refused to use meters. The rest committed other offences.

The department also found that 41 of 6,149 passenger vans broke the law during the same period for failing to install safety equipment for passengers.

The department also found that 13 taxi motorcyclists violated the law for failing to register their motorbikes as public transport vehicles.

All the offenders have been filed and sent for attitude-adjustment sessions, Pirapol added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358761

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-17

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Land Transport Department found that 405 out of 10,056 taxis in Bangkok violated the law in October, the department chief said on Saturday.

And that was just in Nana Soi 4????

5 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Correction......405 out of 10,058 taxis were caught!!!

There thats better.

Almost spot on 

405 taxis was stopped and caught the rest was not stopped 

Just another fake news because almost every taxi don't use meter and meny reject passengers if they don't want drive them to their destination 

15 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Almost spot on 

405 taxis was stopped and caught the rest was not stopped 

Just another fake news because almost every taxi don't use meter and meny reject passengers if they don't want drive them to their destination 

Actually, I live near Sukhumvit road and the vast majority of taxis use the meter when I get in.  I always ask of course, and maybe if I didn't things would be different.  I suspect a lot of the complaints about taxis are really just linguistic misunderstandings.  Yes, taxi drivers are not saints, and guess what, neither are tourists.  Learn four thai words and your life will improve.  "Chai meter, chai mai?"  is very useful.  Look at the meter.  Does it say 35?  Get in.  If not, don't.  

I heard a figure of more than 100'000 cabbies roaming the capital. I also wonder if the attitude-adjustment sessions are the key. 
In four out of five trips I am refused which leaves me only to leave the back left door open to the frustration of the cabbie; metres are generally not used if possible. Unless you introduce a proper penalty system with steep fines while also looking into 21st century tariffing which allows cabbies to make some money you will not get anywhere. 
Caught first time for THB 1'000, second time THB 2'000 and third time license confiscation for a month. Should deal with this bunch of arrogant bastç%"ds! 

9 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Actually, I live near Sukhumvit road and the vast majority of taxis use the meter when I get in.  I always ask of course, and maybe if I didn't things would be different.  I suspect a lot of the complaints about taxis are really just linguistic misunderstandings.  Yes, taxi drivers are not saints, and guess what, neither are tourists.  Learn four thai words and your life will improve.  "Chai meter, chai mai?"  is very useful.  Look at the meter.  Does it say 35?  Get in.  If not, don't.  

4 Thai words? I can speak Thai, but just the word meter is sufficient.

Btw, I think you mean: dai meter, dai mai.

And mai with a question mark is double, since mai is ?.

405 in 1 month? I think in some locations they can find 405 taxi drivers breaking the law in 1 hour!!!

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

4 Thai words? I can speak Thai, but just the word meter is sufficient.

Btw, I think you mean: dai meter, dai mai.

And mai with a question mark is double, since mai is ?.

405 in 1 month? I think in some locations they can find 405 taxi drivers breaking the law in 1 hour!!!

LOL Oh goodie a linguistic pissing match.  Just to explain myself, I think I used "chai" (which means "use") correctly, no?  And why put a comma in your sentence, Thais use neither punctuation not much in the way of word spacing.  

There are a couple of points being missed here. Many taxi drivers rent their cars. They have a shift and the cars need to be back at a certain time. Refusal to pick up a customer could be for this reason. If the driver feels he cannot take the fare and get his car back in time then he must refuse or face a financial penalty when he returns the car. Also there is the "face" thing. A less knowledgeable taxi driver is unlikely to say "I don't know where that is" and is more likely to just not take the fare.

I had a good conversation with a Bangkok cabbie a while back. He actually told me that he prefers to pick up Non Thais. The reason? Seasoned Thais argue about the meter too. The thing is that in their case they DON"T want the cabbie to use the meter. They know that a pre arranged fare will be cheaper than the meter fare because of the horrendous traffic situation in Bangkok on a daily basis. So there you go. Keep insisting on the meter and waste your money.

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You shouldn't need to ask. That's the whole problem. Just get in and go, like in the Real World.

You havent been to NYC or Vegas lately. Oh you must speak Amharic, got it.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:58 PM, wealthychef said:

LOL Oh goodie a linguistic pissing match.  Just to explain myself, I think I used "chai" (which means "use") correctly, no?  And why put a comma in your sentence, Thais use neither punctuation not much in the way of word spacing.  

You are correct that the comma isn't used in Thai language, but it's better to use when writing phonetic Thai.

Archived