Frustration at Immigration Office regarding income affidavit policy

Just now, steve73 said:

I sincerely hope you guys are right, or there'll be a lot of very disappointed people around come next year... even more than there are now. 

My point about needing some clarity from TI remains..

You already have clarity. TI regs state that the letters will be valid for 6 months from date of issue. It's in black and white on their website.

I remember the first time I got my Embassy letter in Bangkok 4 years ago.  I had all my bank/brokerage statements etc.  the guy at the embassy said what are you giving me this for.  I said don't you have to see my financial status.  He said no we don't want this your just swear you meet the requirements.

I was quite surprised at the time.  However anyone can "doctor up" documents I suppose.  What would they have to to do contact my bank I guess?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There is no proof that the option won't be available to the citizens of those embassies that continue to provide the letters.

There is also no proof that the option will continue to be available to the citizens of those countries whose embassies refuse to continue the service.

Which is exactly why UJ, myself and quite a few others advocate quit speculating and 'wait and see'.

But I personally still go for 'cautious optimism'. 

• Like 1

Just eliminate the income requirement is the best solution. Next, hire me to create the letter. I will actually require bank statements.

The USA was making $50 doing nothing. That does not sound like the USA would stop this on their own. $50 and I have to make out the form, show a valid passport, and say YES. Hummm. I can do that and even more

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You could start with reading the OP

The Review Officer told us that the Immigration Office operations staff was also frustrated because no one had been provided ANY information beyond the summary statement that the income affidavit would not be accepted after 1 January 2019.

As I've already posted, sounds like something was lost in translation. IO explaining what will happen to those who can't get an embassy letter after 1st January. Not taking into account those who already have their letters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

no reports of anyone being denied an extension.

One in Phuket, claiming only "govt pension income" will be accepted - even with the letter - but that office is famous for being difficult.

57 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Will US/UK/Oz embassies be refunding the fees if their letter does not actually get accepted? 

Don't hold your breath.

11 hours ago, steve187 said:

change to married yearly extension, only 400,000baht required, you have a year to prepare

That also reduces the needed income to 40K/mo, assuming an income-based method exists next year in some form.  We have only one report from Mukdahan of someone using a govt-pension income with a Thai-bank letter showing the deposits in lieu of an income letter.  I consider this the "most likely acceptable scenario," with the OP's "annuity" income being less-likely to be accepted.

I sincerely hope non-govt incomes are acceptable, since my income is not from a govt-pension - but a "best bet" scenario would be using govt-income sources to meet the 40K (assuming it reaches that threshold), vs a combination of govt and private sources to meet 65K. 

The OP won't be applying again for 11 mo or so, and we should know a lot more at that time.

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

i always visit CW immigration alone and have always found the IOs to be helpful, patient and prepared to speak and explain in english. sure some have better english than others but it could be that because you have a thai with you it makes the IOs reluctant to speak english with you? i also prefer to connect directly with IOs not rely on translation/interpretation by a third party - even a wife or gf. this approach has served me well over the years in thailand and other countries.

In my experience (going back years to my TR extensions), if you are present with your Thai wife, IOs will speak to her - often exclusively - even requiring her to translate any questions to you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In my experience (going back years to my TR extensions), if you are present with your Thai wife, IOs will speak to her - often exclusively - even requiring her to translate any questions to you.

Such is an advantage (and there are many) of having a Thai wife/TGF who doesn't speak English.

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

This is Thai Immigrations problem & is for them to sort out instead of blaiming the big bad wolf that could not comply with their outrageous demands.

In that you are wrong.

Immigration was aware that the income declaration issued by many embassies were not really based on, shall we say, reality?

Immigration wanted some checking by the embassies.

Most embassies can't do that or don't want to do that.

Some embassies saw this coming and organised a checking modus.

And issue the statements.

Now Immigration might need to accept other proof of monthly income, because the 800.000 baht in the bank thing is for most retired rather Impossible.

If because of all this any expats have to leave Thailand, it is of course a loss of foreign cash coming into the country.

Say 50,000 baht a month on average for every expat?

• Like 1

OP whilst I sympathise with your situation, you are one of the lucky ones  who have a year to see how it all pans out. There is absolutely no point in asking individual officers because they just dont know and you are stressing yourself out because of it. I know it is worrying for you and as a senior expat I can understand that. My advice is to relax and wait for the inevitable new guidence from Thai Immigration maybe clarification or even a new police order. I am sure it will not be as onerous as some posters are proposing. Relax and enjoy the next year its not worth the stress and the worry you are putting yourself through.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, hansnl said:

In that you are wrong.

Immigration was aware that the income declaration issued by many embassies were not really based on, shall we say, reality?

Immigration wanted some checking by the embassies.

Most embassies can't do that or don't want to do that.

Some embassies saw this coming and organised a checking modus.

And issue the statements.

Now Immigration might need to accept other proof of monthly income, because the 800.000 baht in the bank thing is for most retired rather Impossible.

If because of all this any expats have to leave Thailand, it is of course a loss of foreign cash coming into the country.

Say 50,000 baht a month on average for every expat?

Interesting that you claim I was wrong & then explain why I wasn't ????

• Haha 2

Interesting report from the OP about his recent experiences at CW. If I recall correctly, the British Embassy are basing their claims to have reached agreement regarding monthly deposits into Thai bank accounts in place of their letters on discussions which they have supposedly had with that particular office! So, assuming, of course, that this so-called "agreement" is not some pure figment of the Embassy's imagination, it certainly looks as though the particular officers with whom his wife spoke were not a party to it!!

Edited by OJAS

12 hours ago, tropo said:
15 hours ago, tgarrett100 said:

The Review Officer told us that the Immigration Office operations staff was also frustrated because no one had been provided ANY information beyond the summary statement that the income affidavit would not be accepted after 1 January 2019.

15 hours ago, tgarrett100 said:

She told us that it was her opinion and the opinion of her associates that it was a U.S. (and by implication, other countries) Embassy problem.

Those 2 statements are contradictory. Staff at your Immigration office state they won't accept income affidavits after January 1, but proceed to tell you that it's an Embassy problem.

They are not contradictory!  The first statement is factual, the second, as she clearly pointed out, was hers and others' opinions, not confirmed official Immigration comment. 

• Like 1

No shock, she totally doesn't have a clue. The embassies cannot meet immigration's verification requirement and got tired of lying about it. 

All Thai immigration need do is provide a procedure to submit documents. But they are too lazy and not competent to check such documents, especially in days.

Further, this is not an issue for embassies. Embassies purpose is to represent the interest of respective nations. They are not a community centers for old coots to gather and purposely fudge their financial information to later be submitted to the government of a foreign country.

The US letter was always a total joke. There's zero verification, lick and a promise done on of all things - a notarized statement.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Those 2 statements are contradictory. Staff at your Immigration office state they won't accept income affidavits after January 1, but proceed to tell you that it's an Embassy problem.

What of all the other embassies that could still be doing income letters after January 1? What of the 6 months validity of income letters? If they (other embassies) aren't going to issue them, now would be a good time to let their citizens know. The Australian Embassy has already said it will issue income letters (income stat decs) until January 7.

My local immigration office absolutely assured me a few days ago that they will still be accepted the income affidavit after January 1st and up to six months after completion during the transition period, although I’ve heard that a few Immigration Offices aren’t on the same page as the rest of Thailand.  Although immigration really should put out official guidance on what they will require late next year after the income affidavits totally go away.  

8 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

My local immigration office absolutely assured me a few days ago that they will still be accepted the income affidavit after January 1st and up to six months after completion during the transition period, although I’ve heard that a few Immigration Offices aren’t on the same page as the rest of Thailand.  Although immigration really should put out official guidance on what they will require late next year after the income affidavits totally go away.  

With the issue being that most embassies (soon to be all) are no longer producing such documents.

Therefore, the standard cannot be met

Therefore, put 800k bank (400k) and get on with it.

I suspect those caught out, first year money seasoning will be lenient yet they still might require full amount.

Can we all just put the small money in tbe bank and move on?

Guidance:

1 Put 800k in the bank

2 Get a letter from the bank

Edited by Number 6
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1