No passport required: Phuket Immigration confirms ‘passport on person’ not required despite ’Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’

rooster59

No passport required: Phuket Immigration confirms ‘passport on person’ not required despite ’Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’ 

By Tavee Adam

image.jpg

An expat tucks his passport into his pocket at Phuket Immigration. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration has confirmed there is no need for foreigners to carry their passports at all times, despite the ongoing ‘Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’ crackdown on illegal foreigners netting 300 foreigners in Phuket last month alone.

The news also follows the Russian Embassy last week strongly advising Russian nationals to carry their passports on their persons at all times while in Thailand.

Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng this week confirmed to The Phuket News that although the archaic law remains unchanged, requiring foreigners to have their passports at the ready to show officials at any time of day, enforcement of the law in Phuket will be not so strict.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-passport-required-phuket-immigration-confirms-passport-on-person-not-required-despite-operation-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-69367.php#5l4UrfZY6Hx36oeO.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Phuket Immigration has confirmed there is no need for foreigners to carry their passports at all times, despite the ongoing ‘Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’ crackdown on illegal foreigners netting 300 foreigners in Phuket last month alone..."

IF, repeat IF, there was confidence that this is the proverbial 'be all and end all', final word on the matter, it would be great.

However, who knows how an individual IO or policeman will react?

Hey Big Joke! Why don't YOU deliver a definitive, written, nation-wide statement on the matter? Clear it up for all time? I think I would speak for all if I said that would be both welcomed and appreciated.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

that although the archaic law remains unchanged,

that 1979 law is idiocy; 90 day reporting (they have other means to know where we are), re-entry permits (totally superfluous; the extension stamp already does that), requiring more money for a single person (retirement) than for multiple (marriage) and on and on

I wonder if I can get a refund for the 2000 baht ‘fine’ I paid to a police officer in Phuket, after he demanded to see my ‘original’ passport, and would not accept the copy I carried, along with my original THAI driving license..? He also threatened me with jail, and delayed me by over an hour..! 

The Immigration Police General stated this publically a few years ago, at least it hasn't changed without notice.

In almost 30 year of living in Thailand, except obviously at the bank, I was never asked for my passport/photo ID, certainly not by the cops.

Hey Thai Visa want to get a good Story!! why not publish the do's and Dont"s in Thailand like this story also Immigration fees for all services including Certificate of residence so we know where we all officially stand Throughout the Kingdom of Thailand not just from one Office.

This may stop everyone assuming what is correct or a Maybe give us the Facts.

9 minutes ago, ZaZa999 said:

I wonder if I can get a refund for the 2000 baht ‘fine’ I paid to a police officer in Phuket, after he demanded to see my ‘original’ passport, and would not accept the copy I carried, along with my original THAI driving license..? He also threatened me with jail, and delayed me by over an hour..! 

Shock horror, your time must be very valuable.

7 minutes ago, ZaZa999 said:

Strange I have lived here for 14 years and never showing my passport only my Thai driving license and if it should happen that a police stop me and ask for it and threaten me with jail, I would ask him to take me to the polis boss. never ever give him money.

29 minutes ago, eggers said:

I don't carry my passport unless know will be required for a particular task.

Generally have a copy in wallet or in a carry-all...

I ALWAYS have a copy of my passport and visa in my wallet, and a photo of both in my phone, and I also email these photos to myself, so I can show police at the station, if allowed to use a computer and the internet.

If I am going to the beach for a swim, my license and photocopies go under the seat of the scooter, along with some small money, my wallet and phone stay home.

1 minute ago, hellstens said:

Strange I have lived here for 14 years and never showing my passport only my Thai driving license and if it should happen that a police stop me and ask for it and threaten me with jail, I would ask him to take me to the polis boss. never ever give him money.

Absolutely. An old friend always used to do this in Nigeria, would even offer to give the cop a lift to the station! She was a very feisty Irish lady!! 

35 minutes ago, ZaZa999 said:

you should have made a DSI complaint

…… the archaic law remains unchanged ...
So why not change this law?
That can not be that hard.
Always dragging the passport with you on a beach vacation, that I find not tourist friendly.
Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng should make his phone number public,
just in case there is trouble with some uninformed IO's

20 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Never carry my passport but I always have my phone with me. So I just take a 15 Mp photo of each of the pages, keep them in a folder on the phone called Passport, and that saves all the hassle.

"and that saves all the hassle." - yes, it does, but you are still breaking the law, thus, exposed to extortion, or a legitimate fine.  

I have posted what I do, which is similar to yourself, but that's the risk we all take here, however minimal, it's still a risk, as we are breaking the law. 

As others have said, the law needs to be changed to remove the corruption, and the enforcement fines.

When I picked up my passport with 1 yr retirement extension, I asked if having that laminate photo card of pp and visa is okay. She said yes, FWIW (not much....)

Oh, and you need your passport for mailing packages at post office, or at least I have...

In 17 yrs never been asked for my passport apart from Imm,banks and airports.

Its total impractible and dangerous to carry it with you at all times. Imagine the state of the passport after a few years.

People saying you have to just creating the "fear" factor.IF ever asked stand you ground.

I'm also one of those that don't carry my Passport around except to go to the Immigration office only. I do carry a small wallet size copy just in case, but over the past ten years have never been asked or questioned for it. One of the big problems HQ's Thai immigration Department needs is a Public Affairs spokesperson (clearing house) to address questions and issues rather than having all the independent offices across the country responding publicly on how they will or will not handle individual or group situations. This doesn't help their cause or the foreigners residing here when you hear this office is doing things this way and another office is handling it their way.  If someone out there has the ear of the new Head of Immigration impress upon him the need to standardize how information is passed on to the public! Eliminate the gossip and conflicting policies, update your system and laws to the 21st century of operations!!!  My commentary for this subject!!

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

On this issue, I will guarantee you one thing.

We will keep receiving conflicting and contradictory advice from a wide variety of official Thai sources for ever and a day.

Of course. While there is ambiguity there is tea money to be made!!????????????????

How difficult is it to bring a laminated copy with you instead? It will cost you 50 baht in the nearest copy shops. A copy of picture page and latest stamp page is enough. 

The only time I carry a passport with me is when I visit immigration or go on a flight ! 

they can say what ever they want about the laws but the only thing that matters is what the cop you are dealing with says it is and how much the on the spot fine is. cops and other officials do what ever they want. you cant argue with them. arguing with them just means no discount on the fine.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Big Joke! Why don't YOU deliver a definitive, written, nation-wide statement on the matter? Clear it up for all time?

Sorry Samui Bodoh, but based on BJ's history of never working within the scope of his assigned duties, you'll simply have to wait until he goes back to the Tourist Police division, or takes another completely unrelated position before he will perform any Immigration Police duties.  ????

Archived