No passport required: Phuket Immigration confirms ‘passport on person’ not required despite ’Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’

rooster59

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I ALWAYS have a copy of my passport and visa in my wallet, and a photo of both in my phone, and I also email these photos to myself, so I can show police at the station, if allowed to use a computer and the internet.

If I am going to the beach for a swim, my license and photocopies go under the seat of the scooter, along with some small money, my wallet and phone stay home.

..and what if the Marine Police snaffle you 25m off-shore.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

On this issue, I will guarantee you one thing.

We will keep receiving conflicting and contradictory advice from a wide variety of official Thai sources for ever and a day.

Absurd laws, selectively enforced...... pretty much SOP for Thai authorities 

How many of you know what the immigration laws of your home country are in regards to foreigners needing to carry their passports on them at all times. I believe that a lot of you would get a shock at how many of your own countries have the same law as Thailand. It is only because in your home country YOU don't need to carry it but here you do.

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

So why not change this law?

We already know it doesn't matter what the law is. The law is whatever they say it is. They can say and do anything they want and you can't do anything about it. There is no one to complain to, and our embassies are just incompetent morons sitting in their ivory towers. They are just here to be in cahoots with Thailand to steal even more of your money.

2 hours ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Never carried it and never had a problem. If I book into a hotel when travelling I give them my Thai drivers license. Again without issue.

Then the hotel is not following Thai Immigration law that foreign guest be registered with passport details.

2 hours ago, balo said:

How difficult is it to bring a laminated copy with you instead? It will cost you 50 baht in the nearest copy shops. A copy of picture page and latest stamp page is enough. 

The only time I carry a passport with me is when I visit immigration or go on a flight ! 

Only need passport for international flight

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

When I picked up my passport with 1 yr retirement extension, I asked if having that laminate photo card of pp and visa is okay. She said yes, FWIW (not much....)

Oh, and you need your passport for mailing packages at post office, or at least I have...

The standard default option for Thais when dealing with farang and.asking foe ID is to ask for a passport. Invariably, they just require photo ID. DL is perfectly fine for post office as ID

5 hours ago, hellstens said:

Strange I have lived here for 14 years and never showing my passport only my Thai driving license and if it should happen that a police stop me and ask for it and threaten me with jail, I would ask him to take me to the polis boss. never ever give him money.

Same here, Thai Driving Licence is an official Thai ID, I even use mine as identification at checking in at hotels (in Thailand)

You have to stand up for yourself and not listen to idle treats from bully's. 

1 hour ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

Is Combodia looking increasingly attrative or is that just me feeling less welcome here every day?

Where in Cambodia as most expats in Sihanoukville have now moved to Vietnam. 

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't believe a word these people say. I never carry my passport around with me anyway.

I agree, the best I do is have a photograph of passport photo page, original Non- Immi A-O visa, current retirement extension, last entry stamp, last 90 day report and last TM6, on my phone.  I absolutely refuse to carry my original passport at all times, so I'll take my chances and I've never previously had to show anything more than my current Thai driving licence, on the very odd occasion when I have been stopped.

5 hours ago, ZaZa999 said:

I wonder if I can get a refund for the 2000 baht ‘fine’ I paid to a police officer in Phuket, after he demanded to see my ‘original’ passport, and would not accept the copy I carried, along with my original THAI driving license..? He also threatened me with jail, and delayed me by over an hour..! 

I would love to see the reason stated on that receipt for the 2000 Baht fine if you still have the receipt.

4 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

World wide you need to be able to identify your self by some kind of Id. ( passport or copy, driver license )

That would be a better statement then no passport on person needed.

Your statement is not true! There is no requirement in Canada to carry any ID whatsoever if you are walking on the street.

In the last 4 years I have been stopped at many police check points where I have only produced my drivers license and vehicle blue book except on 2 occasions where I was also asked for my passport and they looked at the information page, the entry stamp page, the visa page, the extension page, my departure card, my 90 day report paper and my address paper. I was told by the officer I was lucky because I did the right thing and carried my passport with me which is what is required. I do not know what would have happened if I only had a copy of it instead.

38 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I take that back. DL does have passport number ..... Doh. 

Yes, the drivers license does have a passport number on it, but is that passport number the number of your current passport?

Passports last 10 years.  Thai licenses 5 years.  Entirely possible someone changes their passport, and the Thai visa inside it, but maintains the same Thai license. 

In 30+ years of visiting and/or living in Thailand I have never been asked by Police for, let alone pressured to show my Passport. (Once when I jumped a Red Light, a very Courteous Cop who pulled me up, asked to see and was shown my Thai MDL.)

Sure, at Airports, Immigration, Hotels etc, you expect to present your Passport and other I.D., as may be required.

Even the literally HUNDREDS of Media and Travel Industry people I have brought to Thailand and travelled extensively with, have NEVER been given a Hard Time by ANY OFFICIALS.

one time, departing from Phuket for Australia with a TV Crew, a Customs Officer was needed to “Sign Out” our Camera Gear.

It was early in the morning and No one was available to Sign the All- Important Customs Document.  

However, the problem was quickly resolved when I produced a Photograph of me and the Minister For Tourism, having lunch at one of his Restaurants.

I suggested I should phone him at his home to sort, out the matter. Within minutes, a Customs man showed-up with Stamp In Hand and “Cleared the Equipment.”

Leads me to wonder if those who delight in having a Whinge, “Dream Up” these “sutuations.” Get your Hand Off It Fellas !

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...the archaic law remains unchanged, requiring foreigners to have their passports at the ready to show officials at any time of day...

What is the name of this law? Everybody in officialdom talks about such a law, but nobody gives its name. 

10 hours ago, YetAnother said:

that 1979 law is idiocy

I read the news article twice but nowhere did I see an indication of the year in which the "archaic law" alluded to by Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng was promulgated. It is a pity the journalist did not ask him.

4 hours ago, Emster23 said:

When I picked up my passport with 1 yr retirement extension, I asked if having that laminate photo card of pp and visa is okay. She said yes, FWIW (not much....)

Oh, and you need your passport for mailing packages at post office, or at least I have...

D. L  can be used at the post office also.

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Phuket Immigration has confirmed there is no need for foreigners to carry their passports at all times, despite the ongoing ‘Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’ crackdown on illegal foreigners netting 300 foreigners in Phuket last month alone..."

IF, repeat IF, there was confidence that this is the proverbial 'be all and end all', final word on the matter, it would be great.

However, who knows how an individual IO or policeman will react?

Hey Big Joke! Why don't YOU deliver a definitive, written, nation-wide statement on the matter? Clear it up for all time? I think I would speak for all if I said that would be both welcomed and appreciated.

"However, who knows how an individual IO or policeman will react?"

This is one of the big problems in Thailand - why is the law not universal in all Police Stations Departments and Immigration Offices up and down the country.

As it stands, you do not need to carry your passport at all times in Phuket, but what about the rest of the country?

Why for instance, when applying for an annual extension of visa does one Immigration Office require a Google map showing grid locations of your house, PLUS a hand drawn map? (Also, copy of housebook,  copy of rental agreement, and contact details of landlord/landlady which even has to provided if the details are exactly the same as the previous year!)

Archived