No passport required: Phuket Immigration confirms ‘passport on person’ not required despite ’Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’

rooster59

This whole topic has never made sense to me. Who is going to carry around their original passport with them, at all times? Especially if you have a retirement visa in it? That is insanity. In all the years I have lived here, the only time I carry my original passport, is when I am making a large bank transaction, when I am leaving or arriving in the country, or when I am involved in a land transaction, etc. All other times, I carry a color copy of the main page of the passport, and a photo on my phone, of the visa page. In addition to my Thai drivers license. That has always been adequate. I have never had an issue. Not once. 

Sometimes, nonsense is meant to be ignored.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/18/2018 at 5:35 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Big Joke! Why don't YOU deliver a definitive, written, nation-wide statement on the matter? Clear it up for all time? I think I would speak for all if I said that would be both welcomed and appreciated.

It would make no difference at all. Any cop who wants to could demand a 'fine', paid on the spot, no matter what the rules are and what anyone says. And I'm absolutely certain that they will, and equally certain that there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. It's just the way the RTP operates.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, NamKangMan said:

No.  A driver's license is a license for driving / riding on the roads in Thailand.  As mentioned, the passport number on your license may not be the passport number of your current passport.

All Thai's have an ID Card, but not all Thai's have a driver's license.

Not all long term foreign stayers drive / ride, particularly the elderly, so why not make an ID Card for long term foreign stayers, and make them pay for it? 

It could have the expiry date of your passport, thus, would need to be renewed when you get new passport, so, a lost / stolen passport aside, it would always have the current passport number of the foreigner, so a quick radio call verifies the foreigner also has a valid visa. 

Once again, they could make money out of it, but they don't like giving foreigners similar rights to Thai's here. 

There's nothing wrong with a separate ID as well, but I'd be irked if told I had to get both.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:52 AM, Jimdandy said:

So how do you prevent being hassled and possibly 'detained' to prove you are in the country legally? I have never carried my passport but a friend suggested I carry a copy of my passport title page. Any other suggestions?

A copy on your mobile phone, no mobile carry a copy.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, NamKangMan said:

Not all long term foreign stayers drive / ride, particularly the elderly, so why not make an ID Card for long term foreign stayers, and make them pay for it? 

If your long term and live here you should already know to carry a passport copy.

I have always done so and now have a passport copy on my mobile phone as well.

My Thai DL's don't have my passport number only my Thai ID number that is registered at my province head office.

The main problem as always as I see it is the ignorants of law and requirements of mainly police but also other officials who don't like the idea of a foreigner knowing more than they do.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If your long term and live here you should already know to carry a passport copy.

I have always done so and now have a passport copy on my mobile phone as well.

My Thai DL's don't have my passport number only my Thai ID number that is registered at my province head office.

The main problem as always as I see it is the ignorants of law and requirements of mainly police but also other officials who don't like the idea of a foreigner knowing more than they do.

"If your long term and live here you should already know to carry a passport copy." - NO.

If your long term and live here you should already know it is Thai law that a foreigner MUST carry their passport AT ALL TIMES. 

Practically NONE of us do that, but that is the Thai law. 

You get someone in authority having a bad day, or trying to extort some money, and you are in trouble.  The law DOES NOT state a photocopy is fine. 

What the Thai laws states, and what most, if not all foreigners are doing, are two different things, and the Thai's like it that way, so foreigners can be manipulated, should they need them to be. 

4 hours ago, Katia said:

There's nothing wrong with a separate ID as well, but I'd be irked if told I had to get both.

You don't have a choice. 

At Thai law, a Thai must carry their ID Card, and drivers license, if driving.

Foreigners must carry their passport, and drivers license, if driving.

I would rather end this risk by the Government issuing ID Cards to foreigners, and then I would carry both, like the Thai's do. 

Most of us carry a few ATM cards, once more card is no problem.

48 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"If your long term and live here you should already know to carry a passport copy." - NO.

If your long term and live here you should already know it is Thai law that a foreigner MUST carry their passport AT ALL TIMES. 

Practically NONE of us do that, but that is the Thai law. 

Never seen that law stated anywhere maybe you live in the Phuket or Pattaya state. ????

7 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

We hear what you say.

Blah blah blah.

But still they sit between Asoke and Siam and fining people (farang tourists) for not carry passports. 

Well be a man and stand your ground the army are in charge not the police, since 2014 no need to carry passport only a form of ID and a copy of your passport. 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:43 AM, ukrules said:

I don't believe a word these people say. I never carry my passport around with me anyway.

I carry an expired passport and a picture on my phone of the Entry stamp on my valid passport - have been asked several times over the years, show the expired pspt and no problems.

I may scroll back and see if anyone in PHUKET has commented about this PHUKET IMMIGRATION thread. Nope, didn't think so but we've got 7 pages out of it so far. As a PHUKET person I carry a credit card copy of my passport ID page in my wallet, along with a copy of my current 90 day report.

PHUKET Police Officers have never questioned my Thai Driving Licence and asked for supporting documentation in 14 years here. If one is polite and causes no hassle with the cops here they tend to be fair- if you kick off at them prepare to be ****** about.

As always I ponder why people who are completely unaffected by a story feel the need to comment on it.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never seen that law stated anywhere maybe you live in the Phuket or Pattaya state. ????

Yes, I live in "The Democratic People's Republic of Phuket." 

It really is a separate "state" to Thailand.  We haven't even got metered taxis here.  ????

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:01 PM, tomacht8 said:

…… the archaic law remains unchanged ...
So why not change this law?
That can not be that hard.
Always dragging the passport with you on a beach vacation, that I find not tourist friendly.
Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng should make his phone number public,
just in case there is trouble with some uninformed IO's

The law changes frequently in Thailand, basically at every military coup.  To say there is a law is a bit of an oxy moron.  The law is what the current or next dictator says it is.  There are no proper courts or district attorney's enforcing or ruling on laws.  the military handles all complaints and cases.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well be a man and stand your ground the army are in charge not the police, since 2014 no need to carry passport only a form of ID and a copy of your passport. 

I have it on the phone. 

Plus thai driving licenses. 

Personally I've never been challenged. 

But see the table and chairs set up near T21.. Asoke.

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I have it on the phone. 

Plus Thai driving licenses. 

Personally I've never been challenged. 

But see the table and chairs set up near T21.. Asoke.

Yeah good idea having them on phone cause I don't always carry my wallet either.

Personally too I have never been ask for passport in nearly 14 years only when police have come to my home doing checks on falangies staying in the area, they know me but still have to take photos of my passport and me standing next to one of em.

I have seen web site warning about stay away from " Sukhumvit " what is that all about. ? 

Fascinating- a PHUKET specific thread and people STIll going on about elsewhere in the country.

Strangely I never feel the need to comment on Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Khon Kaen or Pattaya Forums unless they directly affect me.

Any chance people could move their comment to the appropriate threads?

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Fascinating- a PHUKET specific thread and people STIll going on about elsewhere in the country.

Strangely I never feel the need to comment on Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Khon Kaen or Pattaya Forums unless they directly affect me.

Any chance people could move their comment to the appropriate threads?

Well if people go to Phuket they know what affect it will have on them.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah good idea having them on phone cause I don't always carry my wallet either.

Personally too I have never been ask for passport in nearly 14 years only when police have come to my home doing checks on falangies staying in the area, they know me but still have to take photos of my passport and me standing next to one of em.

I have seen web site warning about stay away from " Sukhumvit " what is that all about. ? 

Its purported, that there is law within the law in this particular location. 

Monks, beggars etc. Dodgy I/Os.

On the payroll. 

All reaping their share of farang contributions. 

Unhindered. 

Random stop and checks are still happening. 

I haven't lived down there for a couple of years but it is not good news for tourists. 

Maybe others can elaborate?

On 11/18/2018 at 12:20 PM, Sparkles said:

In 17 yrs never been asked for my passport apart from Imm,banks and airports.

Its total impractible and dangerous to carry it with you at all times. Imagine the state of the passport after a few years.

People saying you have to just creating the "fear" factor.IF ever asked stand you ground.

Have you stayed in any hotels in  during the past 17 years?

On 11/18/2018 at 10:20 AM, ZaZa999 said:

I wonder if I can get a refund for the 2000 baht ‘fine’ I paid to a police officer in Phuket, after he demanded to see my ‘original’ passport, and would not accept the copy I carried, along with my original THAI driving license..? He also threatened me with jail, and delayed me by over an hour..! 

You had the wrong color shoes or shirt on after he had a row with his wife who put to much sugar in his coffee and under cooked his eggs.????

On 11/18/2018 at 2:07 PM, Russell17au said:

How many of you know what the immigration laws of your home country are in regards to foreigners needing to carry their passports on them at all times. I believe that a lot of you would get a shock at how many of your own countries have the same law as Thailand. It is only because in your home country YOU don't need to carry it but here you do.

Well i know. in Great Briton you don't have to carry any I D at anytime.????‍♂️

On 11/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

same old samo, with Thai government left hand does'nt know what the right hand is doing. Who would be silly enough to carry around your passport in Thailand.

I think i know what their right hand is doing !????

On 11/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, NamKangMan said:

So issue long stay foreigners with an ID Card, for a considerable fee, of course. 

They are missing a good opportunity to extract more money out of foreigners.  ????

Got one and yellow house book total cost 50 Baht.

Archived