Why is my DTAC phone losing 10 baht every 30 minutes without being used?

miketu

Hello all, has anyone had a problem with their DTAC sim card phone loosing 10+ baht every 30 minutes or so without being used??  I am in Thailand now and took out the AT&T sim card in my samsung android phone when I arrived and replaced it with my DTAC sim card like I do every year.   When I got to Thailand i had 137 baht on my DTAC sim card from last year.  But a few hours later after making only one short phone call i had only 2 baht left on the phone.  I turned off mobile data for internet access but that had no effect on the loosing of minutes.

Now I have put 1000 baht on my phone a couple hours ago and am now down to 975 baht with no phone calls made and mobile data internet disabled.  <deleted>???

Has anyone had a similar experience?? 

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check your mobile data really is disabled. Even tiny amounts of data can swallow your balance if you don't have a data plan.

Failing that time to visit a DTAC outlet and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll make sure mobile data is absolutely turned off.  I have it turned off from the Settings menu but maybe there is "leaking" somewhere.  I've disabled a lot of un-needed apps also.  Just did a phone baht check and it's still at 975.89 baht after 40 minutes this time.  

I have a data plan with them....I've quit putting large amounts over the plan balance because it bleeds away....

I don't call systems besides DTAC & I don't exceed my data allowance....Most months there are maybe 3 calls made, never for more than a few minutes....

Yet, I've found the balance still winds down.....

My wife's mentioned the same happening with her's......She rarely puts money on her phone unless travelling - but I seems to winnow away......

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I have a data plan with them....I've quit putting large amounts over the plan balance because it bleeds away....

I don't call systems besides DTAC & I don't exceed my data allowance....Most months there are maybe 3 calls made, never for more than a few minutes....

Yet, I've found the balance still winds down.....

My wife's mentioned the same happening with her's......She rarely puts money on her phone unless travelling - but I seems to winnow away......

It sounds almost like something "funny" is going on with dtac??

8 minutes ago, miketu said:

It sounds almost like something "funny" is going on with dtac??

Agreed - my wife's business phone is on another carrier & no problem with this.....

Quite often I'll get top up today & receive xxxxxx additional "free" stuff even though it's mid cycle & there's still a surplus balance....

It's made me wonder why the need.....

3 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Another possibility is a rogue app that sends text messages without you knowing it.

yes, that's why i just went thru and disabled any suspect apps including "myAT&T" app.  My stateside at&t account goes into a suspended mode in a few days so maybe even without the att sim card now it's been leaking baht.

1 minute ago, Small Joke said:

Dont even bother fixing it.

Close account.

Go to AIS.

Choose a plan.

Have them churn the number over to their network if thats possible, and you want to.

Be happy again. ????

So can I keep my current dtac mobile number if I switch over to AIS?

There is another nasty here in that you can inadvertently, or perhaps be, subscribed to receive SMS messages at a cost - and that often requires contact with provider to stop.  

8 minutes ago, miketu said:

that's why i just went thru and disabled any suspect apps including "myAT&T" app

That sounds plausible - expect it would have permissions to attempt contact which likely involves sending data.  

5 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I had this issue it was from some stupid text messages I was receiving only found out how to disable them when I logged into my account online,the text messages were about some stupid games and you pay to receive them

something's still going on, i just lost another 5 baht.  do i have a dtac account to log in to if i have a dtac phone number?  I only add minutes when needed and have never logged in to any dtac account but would I have still have one?

9 minutes ago, miketu said:

something's still going on, i just lost another 5 baht.  do i have a dtac account to log in to if i have a dtac phone number?  I only add minutes when needed and have never logged in to any dtac account but would I have still have one?

Yes, https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

IMG_5715.thumb.PNG.74a2e3d4c14989529f809413e34b0211.PNG

IMG_5716.thumb.JPG.1943120be2ec98b1a69e3979ec08c9b2.JPG

I had an old Nokia phone with a DTAC pay-as-you-go sim that I left in the house/used as a spare for many years until I updated my primary phone & replaced the Nokia with a Samsung that had become spare. Any credit (300+ bhat) vanished in a matter of days...

HTH

I've had exactly the same problem with Dtac. I have a prepaid account, using the cheap 24 hour data packages only if there is no wi-fi available.

Some examples.

I was overseas and using data with my overseas SIM. Turned my phone back on when I got off the plane at Suvarnabhumi. Went through immigration, collected my bag and went outside and got a taxi. Taxi moves off so I ring my wife to tell her I'm on the move... but I have no credit left on my phone. I had 55 baht before I went away. Plenty for me as I don't make many calls. Checked the Dtac app later and found I had five charges of 10 baht for 1kb (or similar tiny amount) of data every ten minutes until I ran out of credit.

I sometimes use the pre-paid data packages you can buy e.g. 15 baht for 300MB in 24 hours. What happens, and you can verify this with the Dtac app, when the 24 hrs is up, Dtac will keep checking something on your phone every ten minutes exactly, four or five times, 10 baht for each 1kb. I'm sure I'm not subscribed to any SMS, I don't use facebook, Instagram, twitter etc. 

I went to the Dtac branch opposite Emporium and complained. I was told it was my fault because I didn't turn off data. To me, when the 24 hours is up, that should be the end of my internet usage, I don't see why Dtac (or anyone) can keep doing some check on my phone when I have no internet, costing me more for 10kb of date than what I just paid for 300MB... the 1kb, if something is trying to access my phone via the net, then doesn't that indicate it was unsuccessful? so why 10 baht charges for internet I do not have?

I wanted to close my Dtac account I was so annoyed about this, but I've had the same number for fifteen years, meaning a lot of effort in updating international contacts that have this as my emergency number. My solution is I now never add more than 200 baht at a time to my balance, and wait until I have only thirty baht left before I do. Now whenever I buy a data pack I set the alarm on my phone for six and for twenty-two hours to remind me to turn off data.

I would download one of the apps that monitors data usage on your phone, and can tell you which app has used the data. I use Glasswire, but there may be better ones out there.

I am also a DTAC user, and never lose credit.

Sophon 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, miketu said:

Has anyone had a similar experience?? 

DTAC tried similar BS with me. If you log onto their web site and look at your charges, you'll see content services charges. This is where DTAC bills you for stuff you never asked for such as sending adverts etc that eat up data. I notice that DTAC will turn it on without notice so you need to keep an eye on it. When I last got some charges in Sept I phoned them up, told them to never do it again and give a full refund for those charges, which they did within 30 minutes.

DTACContentService.JPG.9587d10c220ba4d4c3c0fc5049970f6a.JPG

The solution for any data leakage on DTAC is the Plearn package; 30 baht gets you an 'always on' supposedly 64kbps data package for twelve months. Yes, that is 2.5 baht per month.

*103*55# and then press the Call key.

You can still apply faster data packages on top of that, but when they run out, the Plearn package will prevent any out of package charges.

So you can keep cellular data switched on all of the time.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:59 AM, kkerry said:

I've had exactly the same problem with Dtac. I have a prepaid account, using the cheap 24 hour data packages only if there is no wi-fi available.

Some examples.

I was overseas and using data with my overseas SIM. Turned my phone back on when I got off the plane at Suvarnabhumi. Went through immigration, collected my bag and went outside and got a taxi. Taxi moves off so I ring my wife to tell her I'm on the move... but I have no credit left on my phone. I had 55 baht before I went away. Plenty for me as I don't make many calls. Checked the Dtac app later and found I had five charges of 10 baht for 1kb (or similar tiny amount) of data every ten minutes until I ran out of credit.

I sometimes use the pre-paid data packages you can buy e.g. 15 baht for 300MB in 24 hours. What happens, and you can verify this with the Dtac app, when the 24 hrs is up, Dtac will keep checking something on your phone every ten minutes exactly, four or five times, 10 baht for each 1kb. I'm sure I'm not subscribed to any SMS, I don't use facebook, Instagram, twitter etc. 

I went to the Dtac branch opposite Emporium and complained. I was told it was my fault because I didn't turn off data. To me, when the 24 hours is up, that should be the end of my internet usage, I don't see why Dtac (or anyone) can keep doing some check on my phone when I have no internet, costing me more for 10kb of date than what I just paid for 300MB... the 1kb, if something is trying to access my phone via the net, then doesn't that indicate it was unsuccessful? so why 10 baht charges for internet I do not have?

I wanted to close my Dtac account I was so annoyed about this, but I've had the same number for fifteen years, meaning a lot of effort in updating international contacts that have this as my emergency number. My solution is I now never add more than 200 baht at a time to my balance, and wait until I have only thirty baht left before I do. Now whenever I buy a data pack I set the alarm on my phone for six and for twenty-two hours to remind me to turn off data.

No need. See post #16

On 11/18/2018 at 1:59 PM, kkerry said:

Some examples.

You can also use data without package.

So yes, if you don't switch it off it will keep using data, same with True and AIS.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:59 PM, kkerry said:

This is how it works. You don't lose your data connection after your 24-hour plan expires, and you will continue to be charged at a pro-rata rate until you turn off your mobile (cellular) services. I've been caught out before many times as I too use the 24-hour packages when I go out. If you forget this often, it's cheaper just to set up a monthly plan. If you run out of data allowance, you get a message to top-up your data allowance.

They make data packages so complex (period, data limit, speed), they must make a fortune from people who don't get it right. It's probably why they can offer such cheap short-term packages. They probably make more money on them than the longer packages because if you miss the "data expired" SMS, you'll be charged a lot of money to continue using the internet.

Sometimes it is the particular model(s) of Samsung  

Some niggling things can happen depending on how for example your WiFi is setup, where it can try to force a handshake when the WiFi weakens too far. I've seen similar on other networks so don't always assume it's a dtac thing exclusively. 

As a last ditch thing with the samsung: select 'ultra power saving mode' which turns the plastic brick onto virtually a phone and sms machine only. 

There's also the Developers Options in Settings too... 

Archived