How to say 'actually'

johnray

1 hour ago, sanmyintmaung said:

จริงจริงแล้ว (Jing Jing lao = Actually) รถฉันเป็นสีแดง (rot chan pen se daeng = my car is red) แต่กล้องไม่ดี (thair klong mai dee = but camera is bad)

My dictionary agrees with you.

You may have noticed that sometimes Thai says the full word and sometimes shortens words.
รถผมสีแดง แต่กล้องไม่ดี is fine if you think that camera is said as it is in English.
The subject of both statements is the colour of the car but using only กล้อง could make people think that the subject was the car and have them wondering which part of the car was the กล้อง.
กล้องถ่ายรูป is camera in Thai.
There are many ways to say actually;

สีเพี้ยน รถผมสีแดงตามตรง คุณภาพของกล้องถ่ายรูปไม่ค่อยดี ‘actually’ here is ตามตรง
Discuss?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well nobody did so I will.

In looking up กล้อง I see that it is now commonly used to mean camera, I didn't realise because my reading is mainly grammar books.
I must point out that จริง ๆ แล้ว makes the colour of the car the topic and the fact of the colour not being red is due to the camera not accurately reflecting that fact.
There, you thought it but didn't say so! The language is simple, just like English and everyone's point of view is valid why not say what you think?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

My feeling is that Thai is not that prescriptive, words in proximity mean what the speaker wants them to mean.
ความจริง is two words, story-true.
It could mean other things depending on syntax.
reuang nee pen kwam jing , kwam jing nee, jing alone says much of what you want to say. ‘to be honest’ is a verb which means that it modifies the noun which precedes it, (English tends to call these adjectives but in Thai a temporary situation is a verbal situation) noun-จริงใจ verb-อย่างจริงใจ which is honestly.
If you wanted honest behaviour ซื่อสัตย์ (good for Pattaya type situations) เขาซื่อสัตย์ต่อสามี. She is honest with her husband.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived