More foreign visitors reported after free Thailand visa scheme

webfact

More foreign visitors reported after free visa scheme

PNECO611118001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 19 November 2018, (NNT) - Thailand’s northern provinces have seen an increase in the number of foreign visitors, thanks to the government’s free visa on arrival campaign. 

Wiwat Piyawiroj , Executive Vice President of Commercial at Thai Airways International Public Company Ltd, said the free visa on arrival scheme for 21 nationalities has boosted the number of foreign visitors in Thailand’s north, particularly in the tourist cities of Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. 

He noted that more Thai Airways flights have been booked by Chinese passport holders as many of them will be celebrating the Loi Krathong Festival and New Year in Thailand. 

Another contributor to the increase in the number of foreign visitors is the secondary destination campaign which offers tour packages to lesser-known attractions, according to Wiwat. 

He added that the national flag carrier is conducting a feasibility study on its return to the US market with a possibility of adding direct flights to American cities, following a report that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is planning to upgrade the Thai aviation sector to Category 1. 

Thailand was downgraded to Category 2 in 2015 because of its failure to comply with international safety standards. The downgrade prohibits Thai carriers from adding new routes or expanding existing services to the world’s top aviation markets such as the US.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-19

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a load of nonsense.

Last week it is announced that the tourist visas would be free for a short time, suddenly tourist numbers increase.

So tourists suddenly change their travel plans because of this BS.

Just more brain dead nonsense.

You would expect the number of visitors to the North to increase at this time of the year and historically they always have, the weather is cooler, Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai is a big deal, camping in the mountains is very very popular plus it's strawberry season and the farms are already seeing increased traffic as a result....this is not news.

Colin's about right on this one, I seriously doubt that such a recently announced visa waiver will make such a short-term impact, especially in 1-2 weeks since announced.

An upturn in numbers may arise in a few weeks’ time , but if cutting a 1-2k visa fee is seen as a significant concession, then you must question the overall value to the economy of tourists who would be swayed by the removal of such a small burden.

It would be progress of a sort if the TAT/government at least tried to raise standards, service & therefore prices, and start edging Thailand towards the middle/upper sector of the Chinese tourism market, rather than just focusing on Chinese mass market headcount.

Once a destination has a low-end mass tourism reputation, it is hard to reverse that perception.

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

Colin's about right on this one, I seriously doubt that such a recently announced visa waiver will make such a short-term impact, especially in 1-2 weeks since announced.

An upturn in numbers may arise in a few weeks’ time , but if cutting a 1-2k visa fee is seen as a significant concession, then you must question the overall value to the economy of tourists who would be swayed by the removal of such a small burden.

It would be progress of a sort if the TAT/government at least tried to raise standards, service & therefore prices, and start edging Thailand towards the middle/upper sector of the Chinese tourism market, rather than just focusing on Chinese mass market headcount.

Once a destination has a low-end mass tourism reputation, it is hard to reverse that perception.

Why do you think Thailand is focussing just on the Chinese mass market?

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

very interesting article and commrnts  but as always where is the real or fake news and sources and perceptions and perspectives? How do I meet or have I mrt Rooster? Others?

8 minutes ago, stevew407 said:

very interesting article and commrnts  but as always where is the real or fake news and sources and perceptions and perspectives? How do I meet or have I mrt Rooster? Others?

What is very real is that there are more tourists in the North this month than last month, I know this to be fact because I live near a major road which I use daily that carries traffic from Chiang Mai to a series of nearby tourist destinations as well as being a prime arterial route to other tourist destinations to the North of me. As for Rooster: if you want a date, PM him, you never know.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What a load of nonsense.

Last week it is announced that the tourist visas would be free for a short time, suddenly tourist numbers increase.

Yeah, I stopped using my downstairs air conditioner yesterday and today the planet's average temperature dropped by 0.5 centigrade...

Wow that was quickly.
What a load of nonsense.

And before people flying in from the US with Thai Airways there are tons of other, cheaper alternatives.
Waiting for Air Asia to fly to US mainland after they have the permission for Honululu already. There are rumours since some time ago that they are planning that.

13 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I was looking for a "positive" reaction ...but gave up.

Methinks many on here are not happy people ..unless they have something to "grumble" about...even when the subject matter has nothing at all to do with them?

I beg to differ, there are many members on here who have businesses that rely on tourism, my family included. Low tourist numbers, and an artificially high Baht affect us a lot. Maybe not the Chinese so much, but still a significant number to realise there is a big problem here, and TAT just spin it to make themselves look good...

35 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Fair enough, ‘‘twas poorly worded, however, Chinese mass market is clearly a major focus area.

Tourist numbers grew steadily from around 11m in 2002 to 16m in 2010. From 2010 to 2017 they grew to 35m. Over the same time frame Chinese visitors have grown from less than 1m to 10m.

Of the 20 countries given Visa fee waivers recently, only China and to a much lesser extent India (1m visitors per annum) were of any significance to the tourist market. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a load of nonsense.

I don't see what's the problem here, i take everything the Thai government says to be the gospel truth and believe every figures and news they put out to be honest and correct and i can't understand why others don't see it my way..( i was promised a free Elite visa if i say this on a social media)...

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

TAT is in sheer ''panic mode''.....

Somehow I doubt that. Would I like to see the Thai bht crash??? Yes prolly the same who have pensions from abroad and have been losing big for the last 6 years. However, I really fail to believe that the tourist industry in Thailand will ever suffer, no matter how much many would like it to.

Archived