Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

More foreign visitors reported after free Thailand visa scheme

Recommended Posts

More foreign visitors reported after free visa scheme

 

PNECO611118001000101.jpg

 

BANGKOK, 19 November 2018, (NNT) - Thailand’s northern provinces have seen an increase in the number of foreign visitors, thanks to the government’s free visa on arrival campaign. 

Wiwat Piyawiroj , Executive Vice President of Commercial at Thai Airways International Public Company Ltd, said the free visa on arrival scheme for 21 nationalities has boosted the number of foreign visitors in Thailand’s north, particularly in the tourist cities of Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. 

He noted that more Thai Airways flights have been booked by Chinese passport holders as many of them will be celebrating the Loi Krathong Festival and New Year in Thailand. 

Another contributor to the increase in the number of foreign visitors is the secondary destination campaign which offers tour packages to lesser-known attractions, according to Wiwat. 

He added that the national flag carrier is conducting a feasibility study on its return to the US market with a possibility of adding direct flights to American cities, following a report that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is planning to upgrade the Thai aviation sector to Category 1. 

Thailand was downgraded to Category 2 in 2015 because of its failure to comply with international safety standards. The downgrade prohibits Thai carriers from adding new routes or expanding existing services to the world’s top aviation markets such as the US.

 
nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a load of nonsense.

Last week it is announced that the tourist visas would be free for a short time, suddenly tourist numbers increase.

So tourists suddenly change their travel plans because of this BS.

Just more brain dead nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, announce free visa today and tommorow the crowds arrive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TAT is in sheer ''panic mode''.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should also be mentioned that as the I'll fated tourist boat The Phoenix was raised, tourist confidence soared, look out theyre on their way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would expect the number of visitors to the North to increase at this time of the year and historically they always have, the weather is cooler, Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai is a big deal, camping in the mountains is very very popular plus it's strawberry season and the farms are already seeing increased traffic as a result....this is not news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

More foreign visitors reported after free Thailand visa scheme

I'm sure, being attracted by a free visa, they'll be of the big spending variety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin's about right on this one, I seriously doubt that such a recently announced visa waiver will make such a short-term impact, especially in 1-2 weeks since announced.

 

An upturn in numbers may arise in a few weeks’ time , but if cutting a 1-2k visa fee is seen as a significant concession, then you must question the overall value to the economy of tourists who would be swayed by the removal of such a small burden.

 

It would be progress of a sort if the TAT/government at least tried to raise standards, service & therefore prices, and start edging Thailand towards the middle/upper sector of the Chinese tourism market, rather than just focusing on Chinese mass market headcount.

 

Once a destination has a low-end mass tourism reputation, it is hard to reverse that perception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, realfunster said:

Colin's about right on this one, I seriously doubt that such a recently announced visa waiver will make such a short-term impact, especially in 1-2 weeks since announced.

 

An upturn in numbers may arise in a few weeks’ time , but if cutting a 1-2k visa fee is seen as a significant concession, then you must question the overall value to the economy of tourists who would be swayed by the removal of such a small burden.

 

It would be progress of a sort if the TAT/government at least tried to raise standards, service & therefore prices, and start edging Thailand towards the middle/upper sector of the Chinese tourism market, rather than just focusing on Chinese mass market headcount.

 

Once a destination has a low-end mass tourism reputation, it is hard to reverse that perception.

Why do you think Thailand is focussing just on the Chinese mass market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those chinese farmers suddenly stopped working and went on holiday because now they don't need a visa since a week? Sure mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Why do you think Thailand is focussing just on the Chinese mass market?

very interesting article and commrnts  but as always where is the real or fake news and sources and perceptions and perspectives? How do I meet or have I mrt Rooster? Others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for a "positive" reaction ...but gave up.

Methinks many on here are not happy people ..unless they have something to "grumble" about...even when the subject matter has nothing at all to do with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stevew407 said:

very interesting article and commrnts  but as always where is the real or fake news and sources and perceptions and perspectives? How do I meet or have I mrt Rooster? Others?

What is very real is that there are more tourists in the North this month than last month, I know this to be fact because I live near a major road which I use daily that carries traffic from Chiang Mai to a series of nearby tourist destinations as well as being a prime arterial route to other tourist destinations to the North of me. As for Rooster: if you want a date, PM him, you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is increase because of high season or because of free visa’s?🤔🤔🤔

 

amd if 2000 baht was the reason for not coming , now that its waived how much of a “ quality tourist” are they?🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...