More foreign visitors reported after free Thailand visa scheme

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does that affect tourist numbers?

Just applied for a tourist visa for India.
Hefty 82$ but gives you 90 days and double entry if you do it online.

Ironically almost the same price as the flight that I booked with the Air Asia promotion last week.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

That is absolutely correct. You would think the chap who I responded to would appreciate that fact.

Its ironic that when a Farang does something stupid ( Thai style ) , we are told he should know better. However when the same Farang shows he does know better , he is labelled as grumpy and acting contrary to Thai cultural norms.

It's only to male 'farang' this rule applies, they will fully support a white girl no matter what daft problems she manages to bring on herself. 

If they put the same energy and focus on the other 94% of the economy this place would boom. 

The amount of attention given in the media for what I believe to be 6% of Thailand’s economy is massively disproportionate and highlights the Thai fetish for image and face saving. 

If the luring of cheap tourists is the major priority then these jokers are not doing their jobs. 

lf they had any brains they would ban bus tours. Make Chinese book there own accomadtion and return the country to Thai people. To effectively earn a income again. Buses are destroying Thailand. But this government is not competent to do it.

4 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Somehow I doubt that. Would I like to see the Thai bht crash??? Yes prolly the same who have pensions from abroad and have been losing big for the last 6 years. However, I really fail to believe that the tourist industry in Thailand will ever suffer, no matter how much many would like it to.

The tourist industry in Thailand is already beginning to suffer.  You only have to listen to the reports from people (including some posters on here) who are actually involved in restaurants, hotels , massage shops etc. to learn the truth, rather than much of the nonsense that TAT disgorges on a regular basis.  Filthy beaches, smelly drains, unsafe pavements. low-hanging cables, horrific road deaths, and general lack of any safety standards, plus corruption, scams. dual pricing, incompetent police and government officials all play a part in ensuring that potential tourists are staying away and/or choosing more attractive destinations.

No country can continue for so many years of taking Tourists money while hardly ever investing at least part of it back into improved infrastructure without eventually paying the price of their folly.  For example, you cannot build more and more hotels, houses and condos without first improving the water supply and, in particular, the systems for sewage disposal.  Failure to do that will inevitably result in the loss of tourist numbers eventually and that is what is now beginning to happen.  The fact that TAT has announced that it will abandon its long-held practice of concentrating on and publishing tourist numbers and revenue therefrom indicates to me not so much that it intends merely to concentrate on "quality tourists" instead, but more that it realises that numbers alone may not provide such a rosy picture in future.  

1% of tourist are spur of the Moment travellers FIFO or Offshore Workers , the other 99% book and pay for trips well in advance.

So stop this Dribble ,the joint is still empty.

Concentrate on bringing down your Airfares my flight from Sydney the other day had 42 People on board flying to Bangkok.

36 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What's the free visa crap, as far as I know one doesn't need a visa to enter Thailand as a Tourist .One gets 30 day on arrival in Thailand that's Free. so what's up doc?

There was a list of countries that had to get a visa on arrival, not the thirty day no visa or visa exempt entry.

Don't know exactly but think it was 1000 or 1500 baht for usually 15 days.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

There was a list of countries that had to get a visa on arrival, not the thirty day no visa or visa exempt entry.

Ok, I didn't know that. I just thought that the 30 day was for avery country.

51 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What's the free visa crap, as far as I know one doesn't need a visa to enter Thailand as a Tourist .One gets 30 day on arrival in Thailand that's Free. so what's up doc?

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I believe the VISA on arrival fees were mainly for visitors from non-white countries.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a load of nonsense.

Last week it is announced that the tourist visas would be free for a short time, suddenly tourist numbers increase.

So tourists suddenly change their travel plans because of this BS.

Just more brain dead nonsense.

As if the number of tourists would not increase every year around Loi Khratong , Christmas and new Year...
What a funny announcment.
Could come from the som tam seller around the corner...

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You would expect the number of visitors to the North to increase at this time of the year and historically they always have, the weather is cooler, Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai is a big deal, camping in the mountains is very very popular plus it's strawberry season and the farms are already seeing increased traffic as a result....this is not news.

Yes, but all those people were not going to come to Thailand , they only decided to go because visas were free

Was in Chiang Mai today up at Thapae Gate.  Larger than normal crowd of Chinese taking pictures with the pigeons on the north of the wall.  Thai 'pigeon food vendors' selling openly to a Chinese buyers.  I'm waiting for the authorities to 'crack down' on pigeon feeding by arresting the Chinese tourists.  That will end it - Chinese tourism in CM, pigeons and the vendors will still be there.  It would be easy enough to arrest the Thai vendors, but we know it doesn't work that way.  At the moment though, all is hunky-dorey. 

Was in Chiang Mai today up at Thapae Gate.  Larger than normal crowd of Chinese taking pictures with the pigeons on the north of the wall.  Thai 'pigeon food vendors' selling openly to a Chinese buyers.  I'm waiting for the authorities to 'crack down' on pigeon feeding by arresting the Chinese tourists.  That will end it - Chinese tourism in CM, pigeons and the vendors will still be there.  It would be easy enough to arrest the Thai vendors, but we know it doesn't work that way.  At the moment though, all is hunky-dorey. 
I thought there was a big crackdown, big tam tam and all over the news about the pigeons in CM.
That shows again how useless these things are...

12 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

It should also be mentioned that as the I'll fated tourist boat The Phoenix was raised, tourist confidence soared, look out theyre on their way. 

Sure...anytime you put emphasis on the fact that you may die as a tourist but we will recover your remains everybody jumps at a chance to take the chance.

23 hours ago, connda said:

How can this be, we're assured by several long-term TVF expert expats that there are no Chinese tourists of any type in Thailand, are you sure they were Chinese and not Welsh or something.:post-4641-1156694572:

Archived