Methadone Pills Into Thailand - Please Help

HelpTraveller

Hey all, 

I am from Australia and will be traveling to Thailand in 2 weeks time. I am currently registered to my local clinic on the Methadone Program. 

I will be going to Thailand and staying for 20 days. I have asked my doctor if a IC1/IC2 permit is needed and the doctor tells me no because I am registered on the Methadone program and the doctor prescriber will give me a letter to bring with me on my trip.

Is the doctor correct? Can someone who has experience this a lot please clarify that all I need is a letter from the doctor?

Has anyone ever experience trouble without a permit and only a letter? 

Please share experiences and answers. Thanks. I have huge anxiety I do not know if my doctor is right or wrong.

59 minutes ago, rodknock said:

just put them in your checked baggage and do not bring it up or ask about it. you probably will not be checked.

Do NOT follow this advice, could get you in serious trouble.

Methadone is a class II narcotic in Thailand and requires a permit from the Thai FDA to bring in (IC2).

I don't know why your doctor would presume to know Thai law on this, but he is wrong.

Getting the permit is not difficult and people who have done it report getting very prompt response.  Follow the steps outlined here 

http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/

(Click on Guidance for travellers...)

I also suggest while in Thailand you keep doctor's letter with you just in case.

Hey all, 

I am from Australia and will be traveling to Thailand in 2 weeks time. I am currently registered to my local clinic on the Methadone Program. 

I will be going to Thailand and staying for 20 days. I have asked my doctor if a IC1/IC2 permit is needed and the doctor tells me no because I am registered on the Methadone program and the doctor prescriber will give me a letter to bring with me on my trip.

Is the doctor correct? Can someone who has experience this a lot please clarify that all I need is a letter from the doctor?

Has anyone ever experience trouble without a permit and only a letter? 

Please share experiences and answers. Thanks. I have huge anxiety I do not know if my doctor is right or wrong.
Listen to Sheryl

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I have ask all doctors and they say I don’t need one.

But if it is free no harm in making sure and getting it. All I need is just a copy of letter from doctor and passport scanned and uploaded and I should be sweet?

Has anyone ever been denied permit? Or most are accepted

I have not heard of anyone being denied it. But you need to have the doctor complete the form shown in the web link, not just get a separate letter.

I cannot imagine why doctors in Australia would claim to know what you need to legally bring methadone into Thailand as that is a matter of Thai law. I think they are advising you in terms of the Australian end, taking it out of the country with you. For that, being listed in national revistry probably is fine. But entering Thailand with it is a wole other matter.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Could anyone please tell me when apply for permit what did they upload? All we need to upload is passport and doctor letter?

i only have doctor letter saying: me as the person is permitted to carry name of medicine for travel. Signed by doctor with contact details. 

Is this enough? 

NO.

As explained before you must fill out the required form and follow tghe instruction gioven o nthe link I gave you in post#3

As it states there:

The following documents must be submitted:
1.1 Application form (Form IC-1)
1.2 Copy of passport
1.3 Medical prescription written by the physician who provided the medical treatment, which must contain the following:
 the name and address of the patient
 the identified medical condition
 the name of the medications and the reason that those medications were prescribed for the patient's treatment
 the posology and total amount of medications prescribed
 the name, address, and license number of the prescribing physician

F0r the form,

1. Go to http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/

2. Click on "Application for carry in ". The required form will then download in a pdf file.

For detailed instructions, on same link click on "Guidance  for Travelers...".

Archived