Father shoots man who climbed into daughter's bedroom in the night

webfact

21 minutes ago, Redline said:

Completely normal reaction, considering the circumstances 

please explain

I actually find it amusing at all the trigger happy people posting  here

he was in my house so I shot him dead 

the bottom line is - if you do such a thing you better be prepared to justify your actions

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

please explain

the bottom line is - if you do such a thing you better be prepared to justify your actions

depends slightly on the circumstances.

only if it was 100% certain the intruder wouldn't pose a threat is the father's reaction excessive.

this 100% is difficult to reach, for example, was the intruder within reach of the daughter and was it totally excluded that he had a knife in his belt ?

I say in the house, the situation is reversed. On the street, you ascertain that an assailant poses a real threat before shooting him, if an intruder *BREAKS* into my house I would need to be sure the intruder doesn't pose a threat to not shoot him, considering he already committed a crime by breaking in.

if in doubt, shoot.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

I understand what some have said here already but whether or not this death was justified depends entirely on the threat posed by the intruder, the father must justify his actions in the situation presented to him, for example - if the intruder was standing there defenceless with his hands in the air surrendering then shooting him dead was hardly the right course of action - calling the police might have been

Just saying 

One can shoot to kill if the one is truly threatened.  However many cases of shooting breakins did not exonerate the shooter.  Sure he caught a burglar or whatever, but killing on site is often not allowed.  In the USA it varies a bit from state to state.  Sometimes the DA takes it to criminal trial.   Sometimes there is a civil trial. 

Some years back in Oz. The then head of the Queensland police union, a very well thought of & respected member of the force, was being interviewed in relation to a recent spate of home invasions & appropriate response from the home residents. His response was along the lines of "If it were me in a position of defending my home & family from an intruder, I would use whatever means at hand & worry about the consequences later"  It's very easy for all us armchair commentators to have the time to consider what we might do in such a situation. I for one, would be shit scared if woken & found an intruder in the sanctuary of my home. I wouldn't have the presence of mind to weigh up the situation. Oh, golly gosh.... now let me think what might the appropriate action be ? Do I offer the nice intruder a cuppa while we discuss his intentions. Yeah, right !  

Me thinks the appropriate action is always fire two shots. The second into the ceiling.. that was the warning shot !

There is more to this. For those that read Thai, Google the victim's name. What's not mentioned in the original article includes:

1. The guy who was shot dead was common-law husband of the daughter; he had often been to the house, and she had previously stayed with him at his place. They had been together for 'a long time'.

2. The daughter had no objection to him being there that night.

3. The guy who shot him is the daughter's step-father, not her father.

4. The step-father has been charged with homicide and possessing an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

So yes, time to tone down the 'got what he deserved' lingo.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:15 AM, webfact said:

He has been charged with homicide and weapons offences. 

Drop the charges and give the man his freedom.. protecting your family inside your home from an intruder should be the right of all people..

Glad the intruder is dead & incapable of doing it again.. 

23 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Note the caption to the picture -

"Climbed in to meet a woman..."

Was it the daughter's boyfriend?

She didn't necessarily "cry out" due to fear.

(I haven't read the source article).

When sneaking to do something, you don't make noise about it when you know your parents are in the next room...

6 hours ago, smedly said:

please explain

I don't know if I'd go with "if in doubt, shoot," but I can tell you that someone who breaks into my house uninvited is not there to borrow a cup of sugar or ask if I want to watch Game of Thrones.  I don't think it unreasonable to assume that someone who breaks into my house is there for nefarious purposes, and act accordingly.  They might get a "leave or I shoot you" warning, but if they didn't take my advice I would absolutely defend myself.  In that situation, I don't have time to ascertain whether someone is going to hurt me... because by the time I find out they are, it's too late to do anything about it.  So I will always assume that someone who is threatening me means me harm; I can't afford not to.  If they don't want me to defend myself, they shouldn't be threatening me; that's a choice they made and if it was the wrong one, oh well.  Don't do or say something if you don't want someone to take you at your word.  I wouldn't be trigger-happy... I would be "keeping me assault-and-murder-free happy."

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

There is more to this. For those that read Thai, Google the victim's name. What's not mentioned in the original article includes:

1. The guy who was shot dead was common-law husband of the daughter; he had often been to the house, and she had previously stayed with him at his place. They had been together for 'a long time'.

4. The step-father has been charged with homicide and possessing an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

Thank you for this post. Even after posting it, some are still justifying this murder.

The armchair detectives (I'll include myself in that category) might also be interested in understanding how the victim ended up lying up against what appears to be the door into the bedroom. It opens into the room. If it was open when he was shot, how did it then get closed? That room looks pretty small to have two entrances. So was he shot from outside the room, through a (the) window? If that's the case then the story becomes even fishier. 

696x403.jpg

4171370.jpg

12 hours ago, smedly said:

please explain

For what reason would someone crawl through a window into your child’s room?  Someone can’t enter your property through a window at night, and not expect a violent response. He didn’t need to kill him, but that’s what happened in this case.  Normal people perceive this as a threat, and assume the person has some type of weapon and bad intentions.  So what would you think or do?  The owner was frightened for himself and his family.  

9 minutes ago, Redline said:

For what reason would someone crawl through a window into your child’s room?  Someone can’t enter your property through a window at night, and not expect a violent response. He didn’t need to kill him, but that’s what happened in this case.  Normal people perceive this as a threat, and assume the person has some type of weapon and bad intentions.  So what would you think or do?  The owner was frightened for himself and his family.  

Does it state that the daughter was a child ?

Considering that hes 64 years old , the daughter could be an adult and the guy may have sneaked into the  womans room to avoid an unwelcoming father and to meet his gf ?

On 11/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, meinphuket said:

So he violated the sanctity of someone's property, then entered a bedroom with his hands in the air ? And who is ever to know he held up his hands ? I too would have shot him anyway, bugger the consequences.

Totally correct. If anyone climbed into my daughter's bedroom, it would be the last thing he ever did.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:15 PM, webfact said:

He has been charged with homicide and weapons offences.

He should be given an award and made into a role model. He protected his family when the police would not be able to get there in time. 

22 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Not always if it's late at night and the parents are in front of the TV.

I've been invited in a few times that way in my late teen years.

The crying out could have been massive uncontrollable multiple female orgasms. 

I read about them in a book once. 

If that is the case ,the poor man’s idea of getting multiple shots in that night, is not what he got. 

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Does it state that the daughter was a child ?

Considering that hes 64 years old , the daughter could be an adult and the guy may have sneaked into the  womans room to avoid an unwelcoming father and to meet his gf ?

Then he obviously chose the wrong way to meet up.  I guess he was right to scared-in your unlikely hypothetical situation 

On 11/19/2018 at 7:02 PM, hotchilli said:

Drop the charges and give the man his freedom.. protecting your family inside your home from an intruder should be the right of all people..

Glad the intruder is dead & incapable of doing it again.. 

Glad I don't know you or ever will want to.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:46 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Just because it's in Thai, doesn't mean it's the truth.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:27 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I don't own a gun, but if I caught someone climbing in at night to my kids bedroom, I think it fair to say that there would be a violent welcome. Will be interesting to see how this pans out at court. You should have the right to protect your family inside your own property.

you WILL NEVER get to know how it pans out....I agree with your last sentance

Archived