Thong Lor cops sacked after shakedown and extortion of Hong Kong tourist

webfact

Thong Lor cops sacked after shakedown and extortion of Hong Kong tourist

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Two police constables attached to Thong Lor police station in Bangkok have been sacked after a Hong Kong tourist reported he had been the subject of extortion. 

An investigation is underway and the men may face criminal charges. They deny it. 

Forty two year old Adrian Oo said he was riding a motorcycle when he was called over by two policemen in the area between Soi 21 (Asoke) and Soi 23 on Sukhumvit Road. 

The officers - Suyan Phakdeekaew and Wuthiphat Cheuanjampa - wanted to check his driving licence, passport and ask where he got the bike from. 

Mr Oo handed over documents from a shoulder bag. He tried to call a Thai friend to help him but was stopped from doing so. 

He was then taken to Soi Nana where his room was searched. He was then taken to Thong Lor police station. 

There he was repeatedly shown the number 40,000 on the calculator on a mobile phone and understood this to be an extortion demand. 

Constable Suyan then took him to the area of the toilets behind the station where he handed over 20,000 baht and $500 from his bag in exchange for his freedom. No charges were leveled at him, he said. 

The officer gave him back 900 baht and he left the station. 

Region 5 chief of the metropolitan police Maj-Gen Mongkhon Waruno has ordered the immediate removal of the two officers concerned from the civil service and submitted the case for further investigation. 

Thaivisa notes that many people have complained on social media about shakedowns in the Thong Lor area in the recent past. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-19

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Hong Kong tourist must have been drinking, saying that 2 policemen were extorting him.

As we all know, no policeman here would do that, as they are all honest, genuine devoted to their job and would never stoop to extorting money from anyone.:cheesy:

Silly me, must have had 1 of my moments:cheesy: now back to reality.

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

The fact that cops were extorting people does not surprise me in the least. What does surprise me is that they have been pulled up for it. Probably kept the lot, rather than share some of it in an upward direction, and that is probably the real reason for the action.

What also doesn't surprise me is that again Thailand hears no comment from the lame duck national police commissioner.  

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They actually  got the sack,not just transferred !,

sounds like keeping money for themselves and not

sending it higher up.

regards worgeordie

Sure but recently there have been reports of sacked / terminated temporarily. So what applied here in this case?

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not sure what to make of this , was Big Joke involved somehow?  If not they will be back at work soon. 

Nope he's just finishing photo shoots in Phuket and he's on his way.probably find it was a false claim by the foreigner and all the cameras from the incident to nana aren't working.case closed.

Oh thonglor again?

What happened to the Hongkong nightclub owner who had to pay millions to the police but he went to another policestation where they helped him.

Those policemen fleed over the border is the last thing i read about it.

This happened last year or so.

The officers - Suyan Phakdeekaew and Wuthiphat Cheuanjampa - wanted to check his driving licence, passport and ask where he got the bike from. 

The mistake these two cops made was somehow getting called out. This guy from HK must have made a real stink online. We all know the police here are franchisees, not law enforcement. They have impunity. But, it is supposed to be in private. When exposed, the chief has to make it look like actual “corruption” took place.

Funny stuff. Not real. A fake narrative. Do not buy into the surprised police chief routine. Disappointed that they were called out. Not surprised. They will probably be transferred to a new franchise zone. 

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Oh thonglor again?

What happened to the Hongkong nightclub owner who had to pay millions to the police but he went to another policestation where they helped him.

Those policemen fleed over the border is the last thing i read about it.

This happened last year or so.

Also Thong Lor that's in charge of the Red Bull case. Need I say more ????

Was stopped same place once. They wanted 20k. Called my lawyer he said penalty was officially 2k.

I refused to talk to them until they spoke to my lawyer, after threatening me with my visa, saying they would put me in jail until Monday etc etc they got bored, let me go and moved on to the next target.

Archived