Thong Lor cops sacked after shakedown and extortion of Hong Kong tourist

webfact

What interests me is whether the Thais hear or read about it?

What are their reactions? If any?

My Thai social media is limited to a Parayaah’s local neighbours news.

Any one proficient in Internet Thai Social Media read or hear about it? Sort of ‘from their point of view!’?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

Infamous Thong Lor police station.

Article doesn't says why they wanted 40k?

For what? Dont get it...

seems a lot, so  either he committed a serious crime, or other tourists are paying these amounts so tried it on him randomly.

if they asked me for 40k? I think I'd burst out laughing.

1 hour ago, NextStationBangkok said:

They will still show fingers! ????

Take them away as well.  They still have toes, but surely they would not be uncouth enough to point them at someone to demand money.  Their cultural indoctrination would demand they stick them back in their flip flops.

I don”t understand why the large amount. I have been coming to thiland for 10 years now staying various amounts of time. Have been pulled over many times. No plates, No helmit, No licence,  Being a falang, The most it has ever cost me to be on my way with a smile and a wave is 500 Baht, But 40k.....  Maikaujai na.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

What no inactive post's left shocking news????

They were both police privates. So, if they have really been permanently dismissed from the civil service, it is possible they were still on probation and almost certain they were freelancing without the knowledge of their direct boss. 

Sacking the ubiquitous Police Senior Sergeant Majors would be more difficult.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Oh thonglor again?

What happened to the Hongkong nightclub owner who had to pay millions to the police but he went to another policestation where they helped him.

Those policemen fleed over the border is the last thing i read about it.

This happened last year or so.

All washed away. Finished

In another - normal - country they would face some extended holidays in the slammer and no chance to ever work for the Royal Thai government ever again. 

Do these people higher up seriously think, that Thailand's internet runs on a North Korean philosophy, i.e. nobody outside Thailand can read, what kind of S"*ç%t is going on each and every day in the country which depends most on tourism; compared to all the neighbouring countries? 

Going back to his hotel was probably their downfall...staff there on reception would have backed him up so no denial from them on this one could be believed!Will this be the end of stop and search on this strip around Asoke?Maybe for a few months anyway or until after the March elections!

27 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

Will any of this article actually reach national Thai newspapers or Hong Kong newspapers?

What does the Chinese embassy say about it? 

It's probably allover the Chinese social media site called Weibo and lots of other similar sites by now I'd imagine, more fuel for the Chinese not to visit Thailand. 

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

Interesting...

I owned a hotel on Thong Lo Soi 13 and was "raided". Although I had all the permits etc., they took me to the station and made a"deal" with me. 3000 B a month and no more problems. Later, I learned that many businesses on the street were paying some ind of extortion money.  

36 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

Going back to his hotel was probably their downfall...staff there on reception would have backed him up so no denial from them on this one could be believed!Will this be the end of stop and search on this strip around Asoke?Maybe for a few months anyway or until after the March elections!

It sure stops me going to Thonglor... they are every year in the news....and not in a good way.

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They actually  got the sack,not just transferred !,

sounds like keeping money for themselves and not

sending it higher up.

regards worgeordie

Thai cops get transferred if they are caught taking bribes ( of some crime by the offender) but not extortion... extortion is criminal and of a different class itself ! 

1 hour ago, NaaKap said:

I don”t understand why the large amount. I have been coming to thiland for 10 years now staying various amounts of time. Have been pulled over many times. No plates, No helmit, No licence,  Being a falang, The most it has ever cost me to be on my way with a smile and a wave is 500 Baht, But 40k.....  Maikaujai na.

The police shakedown even went to his room in soi nana to look ...

something not right here. If the HK man has nothing illegal on him, why the police took the time to still visit his room.? Unless they took him to be a mark and extort him regardless...that would be despicable indeed. 

1 hour ago, Oztruckie said:

It's probably allover the Chinese social media site called Weibo and lots of other similar sites by now I'd imagine, more fuel for the Chinese not to visit Thailand. 

Thai government bodies ( read: immigration, police and tessakit) are all a disgrace to their country and they wonder why people had such low opinion of Thailand? 

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They actually  got the sack,not just transferred !,

sounds like keeping money for themselves and not

sending it higher up.

regards worgeordie

The headline said they were sacked but the text of the article said..........."

Region 5 chief of the metropolitan police Maj-Gen Mongkhon Waruno has ordered the immediate removal of the two officers concerned from the civil service and submitted the case for further investigation."  We would like to believe that they both meant the same thing but...................... "I hae me doots." as my Scottish Granny used to say.

Was shook down walking in front of my own condo building near Suk 38. Two cops pulled up on me (as I walk with my 7-11 bags) and told me to show my bag and did a full search. I asked why ? They said there was a report of a foreigner selling drugs lmao. The didn’t find anything of course. This is all they do though. I’ve known many people who have had the same problems in this area. Not sure if they were imposters or real but I’ve never met any Thai police act shady like this. 

The tourist was from Hong Kong. Don’t they know Chinese are off limits until they return to Thailand in bigger numbers. Not a fan of social media but if this tourist puts this information on we chat or some Chinese social media Big Joke would be worried. 

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

The headline said they were sacked but the text of the article said..........."

Region 5 chief of the metropolitan police Maj-Gen Mongkhon Waruno has ordered the immediate removal of the two officers concerned from the civil service and submitted the case for further investigation."  We would like to believe that they both meant the same thing but...................... "I hae me doots." as my Scottish Granny used to say.

Fired but investigated for additional charges of criminal nature? 

I took a taxi from the British Club to The Landmark last Friday night about 23.00

Turning on to Asok we were stopped and I was man handled out of the taxi by about a dozen uniforms.

I was frisked and made to turn out my pockets 

I am 64 and have lived here for 20 years. I have six engineering companies.

They said it was a random check

They can eff off. I am considering moving.

Outrageous!

To whom can one complain?

I refuse to live in a police state

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The officers - Suyan Phakdeekaew and Wuthiphat Cheuanjampa - wanted to check his driving licence, passport and ask where he got the bike from. 

The mistake these two cops made was somehow getting called out. This guy from HK must have made a real stink online. We all know the police here are franchisees, not law enforcement. They have impunity. But, it is supposed to be in private. When exposed, the chief has to make it look like actual “corruption” took place.

Funny stuff. Not real. A fake narrative. Do not buy into the surprised police chief routine. Disappointed that they were called out. Not surprised. They will probably be transferred to a new franchise zone. 

the whole station is crooked. There very bad. New PM strip the police

Archived