Thong Lor cops sacked after shakedown and extortion of Hong Kong tourist

webfact

Reminds me of being stopped my black Harley by the Federally in Rosarito Mexico. The guy who was the Boss asked for all the paperwork bike,insurance etc. while one guy sat on the bike 

revving the motor (loud pipes) and the other trying to open

the seat.... gave him the key so he wouldn’t break something.

Boss said where you coming from and I said Ricky’s place. He told the other two to stop playing on the bike. The bar tender at Rickys

bar said I’d probably get stopped by Federally and tell him you came for here.... I did I they let me go.

Some great Condos in guarded area on the beach and great prices

loved it and I’m a big fan of Mexican Food!

DEC4A637-9A33-43AD-9213-1735ED600472.jpeg

BEF19596-3884-42ED-99A1-1108383DBD62.jpeg

E95FD0DA-F9A6-4E15-824C-990641112C35.jpeg

FFCC1BF0-69F0-4F51-A17C-A6BB85946615.jpeg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Xaos said:

Infamous Thong Lor police station.

Article doesn't says why they wanted 40k?

For what? Dont get it...

My thoughts on this too.

They must have had something on the Chinaman to try and extort money from him. Some pieces of the puzzle missing here.

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

I took a taxi from the British Club to The Landmark last Friday night about 23.00

Turning on to Asok we were stopped and I was man handled out of the taxi by about a dozen uniforms.

I was frisked and made to turn out my pockets 

I am 64 and have lived here for 20 years. I have six engineering companies.

They said it was a random check

They can eff off. I am considering moving.

Outrageous!

To whom can one complain?

I refuse to live in a police state

Yes I saw the portable police tent the other week at Asok..they were pulling over a few cars but mostly targeted bikes.Also noticed on Suk just after Sofitel and Bush Beer Garden a mini pop up police area as well..think they were after litter bugs during the day!You won't be able to fart soon the way things are progressing!

3 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

Yes I saw the portable police tent the other week at Asok..they were pulling over a few cars but mostly targeted bikes.Also noticed on Suk just after Sofitel and Bush Beer Garden a mini pop up police area as well..think they were after litter bugs during the day!You won't be able to fart soon the way things are progressing!

That's really amazing, Grouses experience was positively frightening, what the hell is going on ? ? Nothing like that in Isaan, in nigh on 14 years I've only had to show my driving license once. About 5 years ago I took the mother-in-law to buy some medicine in our small market town, we got in the car and drove about 20 meters when the BIB pulled us over (we weren't wearing our seat belts) and told us to go the desk set up on the pavement, the two cops looked up and laughed as we both said at the same time, ''We haven't got any money on us''. I knew one of them superficially from chatting to him when he was on bank duty. He turned to his partner and said, ''It's OK, I know the farang'' and just waved us off.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That's really amazing, Grouses experience was positively frightening, what the hell is going on ? ? Nothing like that in Isaan, in nigh on 14 years I've only had to show my driving license once. About 5 years ago I took the mother-in-law to buy some medicine in our small market town, we got in the car and drove about 20 meters when the BIB pulled us over (we weren't wearing our seat belts) and told us to go the desk set up on the pavement, the two cops looked up and laughed as we both said at the same time, ''We haven't got any money on us''. I knew one of them superficially from chatting to him when he was on bank duty. He turned to his partner and said, ''It's OK, I know the farang'' and just waved us off.

Absolutely.  All the guys who claim "you have nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong" should try driving past Asoke and see if their sphincters don't tighten up a little.  Working at that intersection and living nearby for over 6 years, I saw dozens, if not hundreds of shakedowns, focusing more on people with deep pockets than any other criteria. 

I hope this is the start of a cleanup, but the skeptic in me suspects it's just purging some rogue officials who aren't sharing the spoils.  It would be interesting to see what the consequences are- fired, prosecuted, paid leave, reassignment...  The article says they were sacked, but you just can't trust everything you read in the Thai media.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

What also doesn't surprise me is that again Thailand hears no comment from the lame duck national police commissioner.  

Or Ol fatty or Pinocchio worked my way up the tree!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

i have being to thailand lots of time  never heard of anything like tea money to police or anything else.but i did once pay police for not wearing a helmet instead of a ticket.surely thailand and the police are honest i,am shocked

Were you still pi++ed when you posted that?

Or maybe you are being sarcastic, the police are honest, you are shocked..... La-la land is where you are living if you believe what you posted.

i have a friend who lives in bkk he was very drunk police stopped him.he was driving his bmw.they said park it up pick it up tomorrow.he picked it up and had to deal with the police,they started at 30k plus and got it down to 13k i think.he paid the money and drove.so i know tea money is everywhere and it was cheaper than the courts would have given him and recorded.it has gone on for years everywhere so i know and everyone else knows it exist.every now and then they is a slip up in that system.one day it may end

10 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Fired but investigated for additional charges of criminal nature? 

Yes, of course you are right.  That is what it should mean.  That is what we are expected to believe.    And if we never hear any more about it then we will assume that it happened just like that and we just never saw that court case come up in the newspapers.  but TIT!   A little cynicism is warrented based on past experience until proven other wise.

9 hours ago, Grouse said:

I took a taxi from the British Club to The Landmark last Friday night about 23.00

Turning on to Asok we were stopped and I was man handled out of the taxi by about a dozen uniforms.

I was frisked and made to turn out my pockets 

I am 64 and have lived here for 20 years. I have six engineering companies.

They said it was a random check

They can eff off. I am considering moving.

Outrageous!

To whom can one complain?

I refuse to live in a police state

That is so far over the top. Social media is one answer. Embarrass the hell out of these fools. Collect names. Take photos. Call them out. I would be livid. 

The army has to go. A friend of mine was recently at the Moto GP EVENT in Buriram. He said when the guy who promoted the event got up to give a short speech he got a standing ovation for doing such a great job.

Then Prawit stood up to give a speech. Nearly the entire 100,000 people in attendance jeered, cursed, booed and cajoled him. He could not be heard. He cut his speech short and sat down humiliated. This is how the majority of the nation feels about these utter fools. Their time has come and gone. 

Get out. Get out now. You are not liked, wanted or popular. Your fake polls are not convincing anyone. Four years is enough. 

43 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

i have being to thailand lots of time  never heard of anything like tea money to police or anything else.but i did once pay police for not wearing a helmet instead of a ticket.surely thailand and the police are honest i,am shocked

You must be living in a parallel universe. The cops are not law enforcement. They are franchisees here. 

On 11/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

The fact that cops were extorting people does not surprise me in the least. What does surprise me is that they have been pulled up for it. Probably kept the lot, rather than share some of it in an upward direction, and that is probably the real reason for the action.

Unless the corrupted cops are given very hard prison services am afraid it will never go away, they are mostly all tarred with the same brush 

How did the officers not get a promotion for bringing more money into the Kingdom? It's just more revenue from foreign tourists right? The additional benefit that one less foreigner to enter the country again so less foreigners too! Dual benefit. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You must be living in a parallel universe. The cops are not law enforcement. They are franchisees here. 

And traditionally wasn't November also the month when the new annual Police Commissions come into effect?Maybe it is just the new Thonglor Commander flexing his muscles at the start of his year!

3 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

How did the officers not get a promotion for bringing more money into the Kingdom? It's just more revenue from foreign tourists right? The additional benefit that one less foreigner to enter the country again so less foreigners too! Dual benefit. 

Your post is a bit contradictory! 

More money into the Kingdom of BP's (Back Pockets!)

One less foreigner to fleece, and hence less foreigners to fleece too!

But I do get the drift of what you are trying to say!

2 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

And traditionally wasn't November also the month when the new annual Police Commissions come into effect?Maybe it is just the new Thonglor Commander flexing his muscles at the start of his year!

Do not think so. It was a public humiliation, and the simple reaction to that. They were outed publicly, for the things they do every day of the year, with impunity, and with permission from their superiors. It is that simple. They are not law enforcement. They are franchisees. There is no fight against corruption being waged. That is for public consumption. They could care less. It is condoned at the highest levels.

Archived