Jump to content
BANGKOK 16 February 2019 02:16
crouchpeter

Ko Samet fees.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I do pay tax here to the full extent of what the law requires. And I contribute far more to the Thai economy than the average Thai does.

X 65,000,000 Thais?  Sounds like you have the 5 Euros to get in anyways,  those pesky principles again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dinga said:

I do pay tax (and have done so for 15 years), have Permanent Resident status - both of which make no bloody difference

Oh man here we go again boofhead ( I mean really boofhead?? You Aussies need some upgrade in the English dept) Zzzzzz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

X 65,000,000 Thais?  Sounds like you have the 5 Euros to get in anyways,  those pesky principles again! 

For goodness sake, the boofhead spectre re-appears... with absolutely nothing of worth to add to the discussion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dinga said:

For goodness sake, the boofhead spectre re-appears... with absolutely nothing of worth to add to the discussion.  

lol and you used the term boofhead again. What exactly are you adding that 5 Euros or 200 baht will again ruin a great weekend for you. Just stay home because you would not go to Ko Samui if it was free. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toolpush said:

I disagree. Dual pricing for any government owned venue is ok with me as I don't pay Thai income tax. What tears me up is private companies using dual pricing policies. There is absolutely no excuse for that.

This old tired debate... again. I am from US and if you are in-state, you pay a lot more tuition for a Univ than if you are an out of state resident... there are similar fees on county golf courses for out of county residents. 

 

I also never mind paying admission fees for national parks and find them very reasonable. 220 baht is not a lot of money...

 

But that's just me - "What me worry?" 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Thai tax paying expat with a work permit and presenting a copy of this to park officials I can and do enter National Parks paying just the national entrance rate.   I think the key here is Thai income tax paying or not and believe the government have the right to surcharge overseas visitors at a higher fee.    National Trust in UK  who could say the equivalent of national park guardians effectively do the same charging visitors at high season 200-600 Baht entrance fees - whilst entrance is free to annual paying card-carrying members of NT.

 

In the specific case of Koh Samet, the revenue earned from visitors should, of course, be spent on clearing the island of its backlog of rubbish and then enforcing visitors in the future to not litter & pollute- with carrying what you bring off the island and take back home policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my buds and our girls were there the weekend of the Tsunami in 2004!  We had changed our reservations purely by chance and luck from Phuket to Ko Samet.  We had a package and stayed at some bungalos I think called Mallibu.  Quiet beach, really no roads.  7 or 8 hotels on this little cove.  Loved it.  Booked a half day snorkel tour around the island, stopping at three different "dive" spots.  I don't recall how the fees if any were handled.   I only recall paying one price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Me and my buds and our girls were there the weekend of the Tsunami in 2004!  We had changed our reservations purely by chance and luck from Phuket to Ko Samet.  We had a package and stayed at some bungalos I think called Mallibu.  Quiet beach, really no roads.  7 or 8 hotels on this little cove.  Loved it.  Booked a half day snorkel tour around the island, stopping at three different "dive" spots.  I don't recall how the fees if any were handled.   I only recall paying one price.

IIRC the National Marine Park fee in 2004 (for foreigners) was 40 baht (20 baht for Thais).

Malibu resort is on Ao Wong Deuan, which used to be my favourite place on Samet. Unfortunately, you would not recognise it now as it is over developed and nowhere near as laid back/friendly as it was.

Luckily, there are still a few quiet and under-developed beaches on Samet, but only if you are prepared to pay the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, peter267 said:

National Trust in UK  who could say the equivalent of national park guardians effectively do the same charging visitors at high season 200-600 Baht entrance fees - whilst entrance is free to annual paying card-carrying members of NT.

No, this is not the same thing at all.

 

Any resident can buy an annual ticket to those venues in the UK or USA or indeed most other countries, regardless of their nationality. I bought a year park pass myself when I was in the USA even though I was only there for a month, and I paid the same price that any US citizen would have paid and I made the same savings on park entrance fees they would. And had I entered a park without that annual pass I would have been charged exactly the same price than an American would have been charged for the day.

But in Thailand all Thais get the lower price and all foreigners pay more, regardless of residency or length of stay or how much money they actually have.

Edited by KittenKong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 families stayed there for a week last year and just ignored the requests for payment. Said we paid the day before . I would have paid it as my mate would have but the Thai ldies thought it better spent on food,. Not sure that amount of baht is a deal breaker unless you are a complete drongo. (look that up aussie basher)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to pay the Thai price apply for Thai citizendhip. I was awarded Thai citizenship over a year ago. I've still not been to Samet to enjoy the lower price though 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a grizzle about the entry fees which are insignificant 

or about the condition of the island once there ?

Stop being a misery gutz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 1:45 PM, chickenslegs said:

IIRC the National Marine Park fee in 2004 (for foreigners) was 40 baht (20 baht for Thais).

Malibu resort is on Ao Wong Deuan, which used to be my favourite place on Samet. Unfortunately, you would not recognise it now as it is over developed and nowhere near as laid back/friendly as it was.

Luckily, there are still a few quiet and under-developed beaches on Samet, but only if you are prepared to pay the price.

Yes! That was the place.  Oh the dinners at night with the barbecues set out by 4 or 5 of the hotels one could choose from.  It was December 2004 the time of the tsunami and we were there.  Beautifully perfect weather.  What a great second trip to the LOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...