Washing machine bearings, durability Thai heat.

turgid

The drum bearings have gone on my 4 year old Panasonic washing machine. Its sits on the balcony so heat hasnt helped.  YouTube suggests its a serviceable item. Panasonic Thailand dont sell them as a separate kit you have to buy the whole drum at 6,000 Bht. Kits are available on the internet but its going to incur duty and be heavy and expensive to ship. Anyone know a place in Bangkok? 

Suplementary question in case I can't fix it.  Whats the best brand of washing machine to buy in Thailand for durability, parts, service and support?  It isn't Panasonic

IMG_20181119_093734.jpg

Wife will only use top loaders and previously had many National (Panasonic) units that never lasted long.  Bought 13kg Hitachi in 2006 and still working fine (this for family of nine with several loads most days).  Have expected issues as it can be noisy and take a few tries getting load balanced for high speed spin; but holding up well.

Overloading is the killer; not the heat.  Many laundry areas are outside here, and in Phoenix, which sees 50c...One thing I noticed is folks don't set up the discharge line correctly, as prescribed in the manuals.  It needs to go up, then down, not just down...otherwise, you are spinning extra water weight.

42 minutes ago, moontang said:

Overloading is the killer; not the heat.  Many laundry areas are outside here, and in Phoenix, which sees 50c...One thing I noticed is folks don't set up the discharge line correctly, as prescribed in the manuals.  It needs to go up, then down, not just down...otherwise, you are spinning extra water weight.

I thought that line goes up and then down for the siphon against smell from the drain...

7 hours ago, moontang said:

It is to prevent siphoning of water.  Gas would be vented.

So what do you mean with spinning extra water weight in the washingmachine if the discharge hose goes straight down from the machine?

If the machine starts pumping water out it will just pump it into the discharge hose, no matter if that goes up or down isn't it?  And it will continue pumping until the sensor tells the machine to stop (when it's empty).

So how does that influence the machine spinning extra water weight inside

GE manufactured several hundred million washing machines, and their website says it needs to go up 30 inches from the ground to prevent siphoning of water.  It is important for the drain to be optimized, or you will not get optimum performance.

I guess so...maybe there's no electric valve in the discharge line? Only a pump....

Lay the hose on the floor while it’s running and find out....

I imagine it has a valve that opens when the pump comes on, but in the event the drain backs up or the valve gets stuck it can’t siphon drain water back into the washer.

Archived