TV Set Top Box..

marrmrrs

On 12/1/2018 at 4:56 PM, cyril sneer said:

IPTV via Amazon Fire TV is the way forward i've heard...

They have them on lazada for 3600 baht, would the basic Firestick for 1700 do the same job?

There are quite a few different Fire TV device versions available these days... each with different specs and features.

Anything other than the first gen Fire TV stick probably would be OK for general streaming and IPTV.

The Fire Stick box 2nd gen has an included ethernet port and micro SD port for those who want those features. It supports 4K at 30 fps, I believe, but no HDR.

The Fire Stick 2nd gen is somewhat less powerful than the box, has no microSD port, and has no Ethernet port, although there are add on accessories that can allow you to add an Ethernet adapter to it. The 2nd gen stick is 1080p only

The newest Fire TV Stick 4K obviously supports 4K, doesn't have a micro SD port, but I believe also can be accessorized to enable an ethernet adapter. It supports 4K up to 60 fps and has HDR.

This Amazon website allows you to see the specs for any of the Fire TV devices, just by choosing the one you want from the pulldown box at the top of the page.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Alternatively..

P_20181225_090255_HDR.thumb.jpg.5bab6754b7fbd06691c1439e9c4bd19c.jpg

DVB receiver on a Pi ?? 

Can a Pi run stuff like TVHeadEnd or any other server apps ?? Wouldnt mind capturing the FTA sat and feeding it onto my home net as a stream.. Anything ?? 

I used to use openelec / Kodi on a Pi but the apps out now on android / AFTV just too good to pass up.. Kodi has become an app I use now rather than the only app / framework I used a couple of years back. 

14 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

DVB receiver on a Pi ?? 

Can a Pi run stuff like TVHeadEnd or any other server apps ??

Yes official DVB T/T2  receiver   I had to update to a later version LibreElec ( Noobs 3.0 )

before the tuner was usable.

1880502865_headend2.jpg.e8c421a822245ecedfdd0b9b96490505.jpg660743245_headend1.jpg.2a35e6a260b1c269485a947af1ba4026.jpg2096095855_headend3.jpg.51fd15620d65e5beb0573d59ee335d35.jpg

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes official DVB T/T2  receiver   I had to update to a later version LibreElec ( Noobs 3.0 )

before the tuner was usable.

1880502865_headend2.jpg.e8c421a822245ecedfdd0b9b96490505.jpg660743245_headend1.jpg.2a35e6a260b1c269485a947af1ba4026.jpg2096095855_headend3.jpg.51fd15620d65e5beb0573d59ee335d35.jpg

OK this is interesting.. 

Where can I get one ?? 

Is the entire server running within the Pi (no PC required) ??

Not looked at any distribution solutions before but I will want to have a play.. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, nasa123 said:

I bought a iptv box from Aliexpress with all channels Europe, but really only need the Scandinavian, box delivered to your door here in Thailand. All channels in 36 months everything came on 4100 Bath and everything works 100%. And very good support.

link to your recommended box thx

The NVidia Shield is worth splurging for. (8,500 in Thailand.)

There are continual updates and features added.

It packs a real punch. Installing apps (Kodi) from the Google PlayStore is a cinch.

Built-in Chromecast and every other feature is top of the line, too.

The 'XiaoMi Mi Box S' is a cheaper option at less than 3,000 baht...

...but, (inexplicably) no LAN port, almost no storage and generally slower, with no OTA updates, etc., I wouldn't bother.

If you're just streaming videos and music from a hard drive then almost any 700 baht box will do the job.

I'm guessing this is the year of the 'higher spec' Android TV box, but whatever they can fit into a small plastic box is still no match for the Shield.

• 8 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, marrmrrs said:

Cheers.. I have just ordered the new Amazon 4k stick... Seems like the best option for me... Thanks for the advice...Cheers.

Be aware that some channels will get blocked due to location (outside of US/UK). The Amazon service won’t work properly if it detects you are not in the desired markets so you may need a virtual private network to fool the device into thinking you are in the UK (hardware VPN is best. A router configured with VPN. I bought from StrongVPN.com).

On 10/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, apalink_thailand said:

Be aware that some channels will get blocked due to location (outside of US/UK). The Amazon service won’t work properly if it detects you are not in the desired markets so you may need a virtual private network to fool the device into thinking you are in the UK (hardware VPN is best. A router configured with VPN. I bought from StrongVPN.com).

I've been using Fire TV sticks for a long time, including the 4K sticks lately.

One of the nice things about the Fire Sticks vs. Rokus is there are quite a few official apps for popular commercial VPN services available in the U.S. Amazon app store.

In my experience, with the Fire TV devices, either using an on-device VPN app OR using a router based VPN via wifi both work perfectly fine.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, killerbeez said:

The NVidia Shield is worth splurging for. (8,500 in Thailand.)

There are continual updates and features added.

It packs a real punch. Installing apps (Kodi) from the Google PlayStore is a cinch.

Built-in Chromecast and every other feature is top of the line, too.

The 'XiaoMi Mi Box S' is a cheaper option at less than 3,000 baht...

...but, (inexplicably) no LAN port, almost no storage and generally slower, with no OTA updates, etc., I wouldn't bother.

If you're just streaming videos and music from a hard drive then almost any 700 baht box will do the job.

I'm guessing this is the year of the 'higher spec' Android TV box, but whatever they can fit into a small plastic box is still no match for the Shield.

Agree with you 100%. I have had a Nvidia shield for more than a year now and it is fantastic. By far the best streaming device I have ever had.

Two new Shield devices will come out later this year or early next year.

Also using a 4k Fire stick which does the job well and I use it when I am travelling as it is a lightweight and small device.

1 hour ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Also using a 4k Fire stick which does the job well and I use it when I am travelling as it is a lightweight and small device.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you use a Fire Stick when travelling, don't you need an internet connection, or are you staying in places that have wi-fi?

9 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Two new Shield devices will come out later this year or early next year.

The two new models popped up briefly on Amazon and NewEgg a day or two ago, before the listings were quickly taken down. But that provided the opportunity for a lot of news coverage of the details of the two new devices earlier this week. And it also suggests they're going to be formally available pretty much any day now, apparently both listing at $199 U.S.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you use a Fire Stick when travelling, don't you need an internet connection, or are you staying in places that have wi-fi?

You can buy an add-on ethernet adapter for them. But yes, the Fire sticks are primarily wifi-based devices, which can be used when traveling via hotel wifi and such after plugging the stick into an HDMI port on any ole TV.

Archived