BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Seafood price controversy rumbles on as trader blasts authorities for picking on them

Seafood price controversy rumbles on as trader blasts authorities for picking on them

10pm.jpg

A street restaurant owner has given the Hua Hin authorities a foul mouthed rant complaining they are being picked on for selling overpriced seafood. 

Talk News Online said that the controversy started by an award winning writer was an ongoing drama. 

SEA Write award winner Somchai Liawwarin complained on his personal Facebook page two months ago after he was charged 6,000 baht for a meal in the Torung night market in Hua Hin. 

He said he was ripped off with prawns going for 1,000 baht each - the price was not written on the menu. It would normally be 2,000 baht, he had said. 

The case sparked a backlash against traders by the local authorities. Prajuab Khirikhan commerce representative Prasopchai Phoonkert said that measures had been taken to rein in the traders and make them display prices but it was tough to stop all malpractice. 

Though in his view charging top level seafood prices like those in Grade A hotel restaurants was not right at a street market. Asking 1,000 baht for a BBQ prawn was over the top, he said. 

Meanwhile one of the traders known in the Thai community as "Ee Jiap" went online to blast the authorities. 

In an expletive laden rant she said it was ridiculous that the stall owners were being singled out. 

What about the lottery vendors who sell overpriced tickets and the rogue taxi drivers, she yelled. 

"We can't even go outside our doors before some official, cop or army guy with reporters in tow comes crashing down on our heads," she said before her parting shot:

"We're not selling f**ing grass...sir". 

Source: Talk News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-19

They don't like it when their overcharging is

brought into the spotlight,make them display

all prices of the seafood they sell,not difficult.

regards worgeordie

so the justification for not displaying prices and ripping people off to the tune of 1000's of baht is - everyone else is doing it, a lottery seller at 20baht per ticket 

You have to laugh at this country 

Haven't bought food in that market for over 7 years because of the ludicrous pricing. Pleanty of other options in Hua Hin. Left 'downtown' to the tourists years ago.

"He said he was ripped off with prawns going for 1,000 baht each - the price was not written on the menu. It would normally be 2,000 baht, he had said. "

Somchai, you owe the lady 1.000 baht then !

I would want a gold kung for 6 large sounds like prawn robbery to me🤔

43 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

"He said he was ripped off with prawns going for 1,000 baht each - the price was not written on the menu. It would normally be 2,000 baht, he had said. "

Somchai, you owe the lady 1.000 baht then !

I think he means his whole meal should have been 2,000 baht rather than 6,000.  She's clearly not getting any more money off him after all of this bad publicity.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

You have to laugh at this country 

Not funny sir....mr Prayuth did his utter best to get fixed prices on lottery tickets and taxi's to use the meter...

Unfortunately nobody listens to him and his article44...but he did try! Also i even read one day that ALL vendors have to show the retailprice...that was a tiny article though..

3 hours ago, webfact said:

What about the lottery vendors who sell overpriced tickets and the rogue taxi drivers, she yelled

Wait a minute, my tiny list of accomplishments of this junta consists of just 1 item: no more overcharging for lottery tickets.

Now this lady says even that is not true?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

What about the lottery vendors who sell overpriced tickets and the rogue taxi drivers, she yelled. 

Why only murderers? What about the kidnappers and rapists? They yelled.

2 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

Haven't bought food in that market for over 7 years because of the ludicrous pricing. Pleanty of other options in Hua Hin. Left 'downtown' to the tourists years ago.

Same here, many years since we ate in one of those restaurants. It has always been overpriced, plain rip off merchants...

No price clearly displayed then the meal is free. They should post signs at the beach.

I am not a crook if everybody else is cheating too. But I am crooked.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Not funny sir....mr Prayuth did his utter best to get fixed prices on lottery tickets and taxi's to use the meter...

Unfortunately nobody listens to him and his article44...but he did try! Also i even read one day that ALL vendors have to show the retailprice...that was a tiny article though..

Must get BJ on to them 😨

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Wait a minute, my tiny list of accomplishments of this junta consists of just 1 item: no more overcharging for lottery tickets.

Now this lady says even that is not true?

It has never been true....even while mr Prayuth was on top of the ticketprices they were still sold for much higher prices at Ratchada.