Dutch cyclist completes near-18,000km overland journey to visit dad in Thailand

snoop1130

2 hours ago, damascase said:

You are right, of course. It’s just out of sheer curiosity that I typed the unusual name into the Meertens familyname data bank and didn’t get a hit. 

He’s actually called Williem  Cornelissen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

After taking 10 months to get here and not seeing his old man for 3 years you would think he would want stay longer than a week.

At the age of 28 I'm surprised he got 10 months off work so no holiday, more likely he quit his job, in which case I wonder how he funded his trip for that length of time & how he's going to get home, another 10 months or a flight?

I’ve been riding motorcycles in Thailand for years.

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads.

These days if I see a minivan behind I keep it in sight and pull over to the left to let him pass.

The drivers are a danger and a nuisance, I am a foreigner and always on the lookout for foreigner haters (easy to spot), they pass you at speed and quite close, the minivan drivers do this on most occasions.

They also drive as if they own the roads, always hogging the left lane that normally allow the scooters through, these people are evil on our roads.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Even if he went through warzones like Afghanistan, it's still safer on the roads than Thailand

Thailand has IEDs also - Improvised Eradication Devices - they are usually referred to as motor vehicles. 😁

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Happy to see he survived the gauntlet of the Thai drivers.....well done.:thumbsup:

I cycle more than 18,000 km each year since 12 years on thai roads; yes, I'm a little bit :crazy: ; maybe more ..

Today only 73 km ;

since the 1st of the month I did nearly 600 km and I don't cycle every day ..

But what he did is more difficult than to cycle here . So " Chapeau dude " :thumbsup:

I have a belgium friend living no far from Chiang Mai who did a " Tour du Monde " with his bicycle when he was young - he is as old as I am , 70 y old - 

Sorry this site is in french , it's about the " Tour du monde " by Marcel Hendricks in 1981 , 37 y ago !

http://www.racu.be/monde/monde.html

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads

Buffalo carts were a menace though! 

Been coming to Thailand for 38 years, mini vans have always been part of the scene.

I am also using my bicycle a lot , but my butt starts hurting after 2 hours on the seat .

I wonder how his butt feels like after 7 months ? 

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

I’ve been riding motorcycles in Thailand for years.

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads.

These days if I see a minivan behind I keep it in sight and pull over to the left to let him pass.

The drivers are a danger and a nuisance, I am a foreigner and always on the lookout for foreigner haters (easy to spot), they pass you at speed and quite close, the minivan drivers do this on most occasions.

They also drive as if they own the roads, always hogging the left lane that normally allow the scooters through, these people are evil on our roads.

The 'rot tu' have been part of the public transport system for as long as I can think back, and I lived and cycled in Thailand for over 2 decades till I moved to Vietnam a year ago. 

And yes they are a bunch of suicidal and homocidale maniacs. 30 years ago the big buses were just as dangerous, barreling down narrow 2-lane highways at 140kmp (you don't see that much anymore) 

Far from safe for bicycles here in Vietnam either :just as, if not more chaotic, but at about half the speed :you have an accident in Siam you die, here in Vietnam you probably just end up paralysed. Not so sure what 's better. 

At the age of 28 I'm surprised he got 10 months off work so no holiday, more likely he quit his job, in which case I wonder how he funded his trip for that length of time & how he's going to get home, another 10 months or a flight?
Huh? Savings!

Archived