Dutch cyclist completes near-18,000km overland journey to visit dad in Thailand

snoop1130

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At the age of 28 I'm surprised he got 10 months off work so no holiday, more likely he quit his job, in which case I wonder how he funded his trip for that length of time & how he's going to get home, another 10 months or a flight?

Another "go fund me".????

4 hours ago, VYCM said:

The drivers are a danger and a nuisance, I am a foreigner and always on the lookout for foreigner haters (easy to spot), they pass you at speed and quite close, the minivan drivers do this on most occasions.

They also drive as if they own the roads, always hogging the left lane that normally allow the scooters through, these people are evil on our roads.

It probably isn't about being 'foreigner haters' as much as it's about being 'motorcycle haters'.  It's about status.  Car/van/SUV/pickup driver - high status; motorcycle driver - low status.  Maybe with the exception of the dudes suited up in body armor and driving like they're members of Team Honda Racing in which case the van drivers can't keep up although they try putting everyone else on the road at risk plus everyone in the van.

Then there are bicycles - even lower status then motorcycles, but a notch above pedestrians. 

4 hours ago, VYCM said:

I’ve been riding motorcycles in Thailand for years.

Long ago before the mini vans became part of the public transport system I felt close to 100% safe on Thai roads.

These days if I see a minivan behind I keep it in sight and pull over to the left to let him pass.

The drivers are a danger and a nuisance, I am a foreigner and always on the lookout for foreigner haters (easy to spot), they pass you at speed and quite close, the minivan drivers do this on most occasions.

They also drive as if they own the roads, always hogging the left lane that normally allow the scooters through, these people are evil on our roads.

The drivers who hog the centre and outside lanes are worse than the minivan drivers. I am not saying it is right, but that is why minivans sometimes use the hard shoulder for overtaking, or should I say undertaking.

I have been sitting in the front seat of minivans lots of times, and I have seen it all for myself.

For the past 10 years I've been doing motorcycle trips all over the North, North East and Central provinces.  One of the first things I learned was, if I'm doing 120kph and I see a mini van in my mirror, slow down and move the hell over to the shoulder, as the one you SEE is only the "point man" for a string of 5-8 more, all bumper to bumper, and all doing well over 140kph. These people are Nucking Futs on the roads. 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Are you not happy to see that he survived running the gauntlet of drivers in every other country he passed through also?

But other countries drivers are not as bad as Thai drivers, and that is official.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not sure if or why he highlighted Thai mini-vans

Read the article, he says

Thai mini vans are the most dangerous thing, says Dutch cyclist who rode to see his dad in Thailand

Yes, roads are a constant danger all over the world, for bicycles the 10 wheelers with trailers.

He has very good knowledge on Thai roads and has pointed out what is the most Dangerous.

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

But other countries drivers are not as bad as Thai drivers, and that is official.

No, it is not official!  Accident stats may be "official" but "other countries drivers not being as bad as Thai drivers" is your generalisation and just your opinion. 

I'm sure there are some worse drivers worldwide than some Thai drivers, some Thai drivers are actually good drivers and would be better drivers than many drivers in other countries.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, it is not official!  Accident stats may be "official" but "other countries drivers not being as bad as Thai drivers" is your generalisation and just your opinion. 

I'm sure there are some worse drivers worldwide than some Thai drivers, some Thai drivers are actually good drivers and would be better drivers than many drivers in other countries.

I would certainly prefer cycling here than in Egypt. Hell, driving on the streets of Cairo makes the driving Bangkok seem exemplary. 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Sorry, but the Thai road statistics say it all, and don't even include the people that die on the way or in hospital. That is not just an opinion. At this moment in time Thailand are no 1 in the world according to the statistics. OK the reports could be wrong and maybe only half of the 200 odd cavalry were actually killed at the Little Big Horn.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry, but the Thai road statistics say it all, and don't even include the people that die on the way or in hospital. That is not just an opinion. At this moment in time Thailand are no 1 in the world according to the statistics. OK the reports could be wrong and maybe only half of the 200 odd cavalry were actually killed at the Little Big Horn.

Sorry, but they do not support what you generalised originally.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Why do you imagine you could ascertain someone nationality by their name?

I am Dutch, and the name in the original text is one that just doesn’t appear in the Dutch databank of family names in The Netherlands. Just out of curiosity about the ‘strange’ name, not because it would make any difference what nationality the guy has. I admire his performance!

18 hours ago, damascase said:

I am Dutch, and the name in the original text is one that just doesn’t appear in the Dutch databank of family names in The Netherlands. Just out of curiosity about the ‘strange’ name, not because it would make any difference what nationality the guy has. I admire his performance!

Well, you must really be curious about this name to have bothered to search for it in the Dutch databank of family names, that or insanely bored.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well, you must really be curious about this name to have bothered to search for it in the Dutch databank of family names, that or insanely bored.

As I said, curiosity - and 5 seconds to spare to look it up, no big deal. You must be quite bored to question my curiosity, aren’t you?

Archived