Govt urged to control private hospital fees

webfact

Govt urged to control private hospital fees

By The Nation

330aa3c7ecc64bbb28364307e347743c.jpeg

File photo

Private operators must shift focus from profits to patients, say consumer groups

FRESH EFFORTS to make private hospitals “affordable” have now ramped up, with consumer-protection groups voicing their suspicion that private operators may be too focused on making profits and losing track of the core humanity essential to quality medical care.

“We understand that hospitals need profits to stay afloat, but they should strike the right balance between profit-making and humanity,” Supatra Nacapew, member of the Independent Committee for Consumer Protection, said.

She called for relevant authorities to intervene and control prices set by private hospitals amid reports that some families have had to sell land and home to foot medical bills. 

Prayoth Benyasut, deputy director-general of the Internal Trade Department, said his department was now addressing the issue in consultation with the Health Service Support Department. 

“We’ve already had one meeting, and our next meeting will take place on November 19 [yesterday],” he said late last week. 

Discussions have so far focused on requiring private hospitals to clearly display prices, so people can make informed decisions on whether to seek their services, Prayoth said.

Medical facilities are required by law to display prices and failure to do so can result in a fine of up to Bt10,000. However, patient say sometimes they cannot find where the prices are displayed. 

Last month, the Internal Trade Department inspected 62 hospitals and found that some had posted prices in their websites, while others simply kept the list in their internal computer system. 

When asked about calls for the authorities to control medical-service fees, he said a major issue like this would require further discussions between the Commerce and Public Health ministries.

“If both ministries agree with [establishing] controls, it will be proposed to the Central Committee on Product and Service Prices. If the committee approves it, then the proposal will go to the Cabinet,” Prayoth explained. Petrol and sugar are now among the products whose prices are subject to control. 

Dr Pongpat Patanavanich, president of Private Hospital Association, said private hospitals charged patients much higher fees than state hospitals because they shouldered larger costs. 

“The government covers staff salaries at state hospitals, but not at private hospitals,” Pongpat said. “Also, state hospitals are usually able to purchase medicines at a much lower cost because of bulk purchases.” 

Pongpat also challenged claims that private hospitals were too preoccupied with making profits to care about the patients. “We have joined the country’s UCEP [Universal Coverage for Emergency Patients] even though we know participating will cost us money,” he said. 

Though the government reimburses private hospitals for the treatment of UCEP patients, the rates provided are much lower than the actual cost, Pongpat added. Initiated by the government, UCEP allows emergency patients to receive free medical services from any hospital in the first 72 hours. 

Saree Ongsomwang, secretary-general of the Foundation for Consumers, said at the very least, the prices of about 1,000 medicines required for emergency treatments should be controlled.

She also asked relevant authorities to define more clearly which symptoms qualify for UCEP. When patients go to a hospital hoping to receive medical services under UCEP, they might later find themselves having to pay a hefty bill if their condition is deemed as a non-emergency. 

The Independent Committee for Consumer Protection has been advocating for price controls in the medical sector since 2015. “Since not much progress has been visible, we have stepped up our efforts again,” she said. 

Saree spoke after submitting a petition to the Central Committee on Product and Service Prices. She will soon submit another petition to the Public Health Ministry, she added.

A source said private hospitals were firmly opposed to any move to control their service fees. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30358875

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-20

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A source said private hospitals were firmly opposed to any move to control their service fees. 

Of course they are, private hospitals have shareholders, boards of Directors, and other investors who want to see the highest return on their investments.

If private hospitals charge too much there is a nice gap between the government hospitals and private hospitals where people get a bit of luxury for a bit of extra money. And the government already jumps in that gap with the "not-for-free" government hospital branches.

So let private hospitals charge themselves out of the market, the more profits for the government to be made.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Chief among these culprits is Bangkok Hospital. They are probably the most expensive in the nation. 

My wife was in a state of collapse when I took her into emergency, who were good, but before she had been moved to intensive care I was told that the charge for the care supplied so far was 75k and they wanted a deposit of 300k.

After 8days in ICU, with the help of a nurse, not admin, we moved her to Thonburi hospital Bkk by ambulance, but before they would allow her to be moved I had to settle the bill 770k.

At Thonburi she underwent two operations and spent 6 weeks in ICU, Absolutely wonderful care at the end of which the bill, which wasn't required to be settled immediately,  was 480k.

Because my wife's condition is historic there are no insurance companies that will cover her.

Shame is that the government will only "talk" about controls, action may be another thing.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Chief among these culprits is Bangkok Hospital. They are probably the most expensive in the nation. 

I totally agree - way beyond my pocket. In a recent case here in Isaan, a farang spent 2 nights in ICU at the BH at a cost of 100,000 baht! His family transferred him to the Government Hospital because of the cost - very sad.

I use Thai hospitals only if it is very urgent. If possible I try to use European hospitals. The quality of treatment is better and cost is lower. In Europe I feel that the doctor is thinking about my health. In Thailand I feel that the doctor is thinking about his bill.

In Thailand private hospitals focus too much on profit and they lack transparency. You will never know how much the treatment will cost at the end. You are totally in their hands. One big hospital chain (I don't mention the name ???? ) has a monopoly in many places. It lacks in competition. 

All the costs, e.g. salaries, medicine, maintenance are much lower than in Europe, so why the cost of treatment is higher? They are too greedy!

40 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I totally agree - way beyond my pocket. In a recent case here in Isaan, a farang spent 2 nights in ICU at the BH at a cost of 100,000 baht! His family transferred him to the Government Hospital because of the cost - very sad.

100k for ICU is reasonable - but why take him to a Private hospital in the first place if he was low on funds, everyone knows the Private sector is expense so the simple answer is not to use them in the first place.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And still nobody forces you to go there, or do they?

I cant pay for a Bentley, so i dont buy one instead of complaining they are too expensive.

29 minutes ago, andre47 said:

I use Thai hospitals only if it is very urgent. If possible I try to use European hospitals. The quality of treatment is better and cost is lower. In Europe I feel that the doctor is thinking about my health. In Thailand I feel that the doctor is thinking about his bill.

In Thailand private hospitals focus too much on profit and they lack transparency. You will never know how much the treatment will cost at the end. You are totally in their hands. One big hospital chain (I don't mention the name ???? ) has a monopoly in many places. It lacks in competition. 

All the costs, e.g. salaries, medicine, maintenance are much lower than in Europe, so why the cost of treatment is higher? They are too greedy!

Yeas that's just it,The Health insurance for Thailand cover should be cheaper than anywhere in the western world But it isn't ,they are just Greedy insurance monsters.

41 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

And still nobody forces you to go there, or do they?

I cant pay for a Bentley, so i dont buy one instead of complaining they are too expensive.

As far as I know, nobody forces me to use a specific provider. Since when is it a crime to state facts? 

Bangkok hosptal is good service and i cant stand public care. So willing to pay a lot more for private .But its become rediculouse at bangkok in phuket.

Not sure where to go now cause bangkok i will never go to again.

Charged me 10 times the price this year for same procedure had last year.

Scamed.

10 years i used there services. Always good and fair. But now just like usa.

4 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Actually in a normal country there would be regulations/ laws which controlled what private hospitals charge ! But this is .... well you know

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This probably explains why so many of them are a disaster.

The best way to keep private healthcare standards up and prices down is to encourage more competition, not state interference.

This way public and private healthcare systems can flourish side by side.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Petrol and sugar are now among the products whose prices are subject to control. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Also, state hospitals are usually able to purchase medicines at a much lower cost because of bulk purchases

There you go then sugar & petrol as medicines for those going on state for 'elf care .. 

5 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Actually in a normal country there would be regulations/ laws which controlled what private hospitals charge ! But this is .... well you know

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You mean a normal country like Venezuela?

3 minutes ago, blazes said:

The very same blood test that costs 300 baht at the Hua Hin Blood Clinic will cost you 1200 baht at both the St Paulo and Bangkok hospitals.

same for medicines...if you buy the same agent in a normal pharmacy you pay about 80% less

drug dealer! ????

"Medical facilities are required by law to display prices and failure to do so can result in a fine of up to Bt10,000. However, patient say sometimes they cannot find where the prices are displayed."

Has anyone reading this ever seen posted prices at any hospital in Thailand?

I haven't, based on 2 hospitals I've visited.

"Though the government reimburses private hospitals for the treatment of UCEP patients, the rates provided are much lower than the actual cost, Pongpat added. Initiated by the government, UCEP allows emergency patients to receive free medical services from any hospital in the first 72 hours."

Is UCEP for citizens of Thailand only, or for all?

The real problem with private hospital costs is being able to be insured. I have always been "self insured" but have used private hospitals back home and there were 2 prices, one if you were insured and a lower one for me.

Let the private hospitals charge what they like but limit the amount of insurance. Then they will have to meet the market.

Required, is a solid and efficient universal National Health System - complete govt underwriting, as numerous countries have proven that such programs work reasonably well.....in varying degrees. 

Incredibly destructive to mix a controlling for profit service with a more inexpensive/sliding scale government process. 

What are they gonna do? Force them to hire cheaper piano players?

Great comment. Was in Samithivet today and while waiting for my bill I was forced to listen to some truly atrocious piano cum violin cacophony. I wonder if management are aware the kind of torture they put their clients through. Guess not, maybe this is done on purpose cause I nearly had a fit

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was offered two prices for an Operation recently. One was 27,000 baht cheaper if I did not use insurance.

Insurance is the monster here. 

Simple ways this can all be fixed but no, the private health care sector here is in the driver's seat. Nothing will change.

Next time I am crook, I will be using public even though I am insured as I CANNOT be certain my Insurance Company can cover me. It took six days for me to get an answer off my agent to get the good ahead for my OP when I was in a pretty bad way in Hospital. The hospital kept me healthy enough just to wait for the Insurance coverages answer. If it would have been no, they would have kicked me out on the side of the road within an hour. I had the cash to pay but I was not going to show this to them until I was certain they had exhausted all avenues in getting my Insurance company to pay. 

Archived